Thread: Fitting a window guide S14a

Rides

Fitting a window guide S14a

Right seeing as i had to do this the other day, i searched on here for ages and found nothing on doing this, so i thought i would make my own for the unfortunate people like myself, who had their window smashed but little tossers!

Right first of all you have to remove the door card, one screw just behind the handle, one screw under a cover in the electic switch panel part, a black plastic clip at the top end of the door card and 3 screws along the bottom. Then just prise off carefully and take out the electric window switch.

Then remove the scraper moulding along the outside of the door by removing the small screw at the end of the door, and unclip the plactic clips that hold the scraper moulding on, they are easy to remove, just get your finger under them and pop them off.

Then take off the metal legs that run along the top with a 12mm socket, if i remember correct there are 3 or 4 of these.

Then if you window was smashed like mine was, remove all the old bits from the bottom (stoppers etc) and remove the 2 lugs from the regulator itself with a 10mm socket, the one closest to the car can be accessed by lowering the regulator to a service hole in the lower part of the door. the one furthest the door can be accessed easy by the huge gaping hole in the door.

Then remove the lug thats in the runner on the end of the door where the adjusters are by literally pulling it out the top.

Now everything should be out the door (including the glass in the bottom) Make sure the regulator is about half way down the door, take your new window glass and slide it in by the mirror and then put the rear lug in the runner at the end of the door (can be quite fiddley but it will go in) Then slide the window down and the runner with the 2 holes in it that attaches to the window itself should be easy to fit over the 2 bolt lugs on the window.

Put the bolt on the one closest to the end of the door, and then lower the window with care to the little service hole to do the other bolt up.

Lower the window down and attach the metal plates that come off the top with the 12mm bolts in the same place as before (use the scratches left to line them up) and then clip your scraper moulding back on and put the screw in the end.

Then test the window and make sure its all ok, and adjust as nessessary.

Sorted, took me an hour not having a clue what i was doing, so should take about 30 mins after reading this. (i had the door card off already and cleaned the glass out the door before hand though )

Hope that helps anyone!

PS can this be added to useful threads

Rides
    Excellent guide, only miss few pics . I have got a fu..ing rattle from my drivers side window when driving by shite roads. It seems like window glass is loosened. Is it hard work adjusting glass to get it tight?
    Thx for your usefull info.

Rides
    Thers a thread about the rattle on here somewhere as i found it looking for a fitting guide, will have a look for you mate

Rides
    Just what I needed. Thank you very much.

Rides
    Cheers, might well come in usefull for me soon as i need to do the motor

Rides
    Brillant, thank you for the POST, i have had my window smashed and need to replace ASAP and your guide is PERFECT