Thread: JDM folding mirror writeup

Rides

JDM folding mirror writeup

Seeing as a couple of people seem to be wanting to do this and don't know how, I thought I'd do a writeup based on what I did

To do this, you will need to find two JDM folding mirrors, and their controller from the centre console. You'll also need some wire, and I'd recommend having a selection of crimp spade connectors (use insulated receptacles, or wrap in self-am*** to insulate) nearby for the joints so you can remove or alter the wiring later.

The first problem you'll come across is that the existing socket and loom for the mirror controller is missing the necessary pins, which are actually little female recepticles crimped onto wire, because Nissan only populate the holes that are actually used. Damn this cost saving. No matter though, because with a little bit of jiggery-pokery you can extract spare pins from another socket. The pins seem to be the same across all the sockets, but to be on the safe side I chopped the socket and a few inches of wire (to connect to) out of a car that was being broken.

The pins themselves can be extracted from the spare socket with a little bit of force, persuasion, or just plain hacking up the socket (don't damage the pins). You'll need to keep it's captive wire attached so that you have something to connect your wiring to. You need two of them since the controller applies voltage with one polarity to extend them, and swaps it to retract. Attach spade receptacles to these for later.

Now you'll have to fit the mirrors themselves, you'll have noticed by now that there is an entire extra plug. If you're lucky you will have it's friend to plug into it to keep it all neat, if not, it doesn't really matter, just splice into the wires on the extra plug and crimp spade connectors on them.

To fit the mirrors you will need to remove the door card and a small section of the plastic cover with it's goopy adhesive, and pull off the black plastic cover on the inside where the mirrors are. Behind there you will find three screws which will release the mirrors, and you will also need to remove the fixing for it's wiring. The JDM mirrors just pop straight back on. Plug the pan/tilt connector into the existing one, secure the wires, and leave your new spade connectors dangling for the time being, but don't let them touch the adhesive, it's icky stuff and virtually impossible to get it off something it's stuck to.

Now comes the fun bit.

Remove the surround around the heating controller and headunit, this will enable you to remove the centre console itself because it will reveal two screws holding it down. There are a further pair of screws on each side. Run a pair of wires down the centre console, make a T junction in the middle, and run them under the dash to the tubes that carry wires to the doors. Push the wires through the tubes (this sounds easier than it is ) and route them to the extra pair of wires in the door. Attach a pair of spade receptacles and plug them into the mirrors. Make sure you get them the same way around, or your mirrors will dance instead of opening and retracting

Now go back to the centre console, neaten the wire runs up, cut them to length and attach spade connectors to the ends of them. Remove the old mirror controller, and replace it with the JDM one.

Now it's time to turn your attention to the socket. You will need to insert the two extra pins from the wire side into the holes shown in the picture below. I have marked them with red arrows, and the empty ways with black dots to show where they are.

For those who'd prefer, here's a wiring diagram instead:

Almost there!

Plug your wiring into the receptacles on your two new wires, and check all the connections elsewhere are secure, and there are no shorts.

Turn the ignition on and see if it works You may need to swap over one or more connections to make sure the mirror position matches the switch and each other.

Assuming it all works, put your car back together. If it doesn't, ask me
    Last edited by nene; 22-09-2008 at 17:49.

Rides
    Has anyone got photos of the retract motors in the mirrors? How they mount and what they link to.

Rides
    I can't get the screw for the cover undone, sorry.

Rides
    Have you figured out how to get them to fold and open on ignition when put in the center position?

There is a spare green wire and I think if given voltage this will fold / open. Need to get this confirmed and not tested it myself.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sliver
    Have you figured out how to get them to fold and open on ignition when put in the center position?
    Yes thanks

It's all about the relays, baby

I haven't got around to implementing it, yet, though. There's still a potential concern that I need to figure out a cheap way around - that is if the motor gets stuck or breaks on closing with the ignition going off, how to shut the power off so it doesn't flatten the battery. There are plenty of ways to do this, but I'm still working on the cheapest and most reliable

Quote Originally Posted by sliver
    There is a spare green wire and I think if given voltage this will fold / open. Need to get this confirmed and not tested it myself.
    I don't see how that could possibly happen. There are two wires going to a motor. If you apply a voltage with one polarity, the motor will run until it hits the open limit switch, if you apply a voltage the other way around the motor will run until it hits the closed limit switch. That's as sophisticated as it gets I'm afraid.

If you do have a third wire, I've no idea what it does do I'm afraid, because mine don't have it

Rides
    Thanks Nene.

Will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by nene
    that is if the motor gets stuck or breaks on closing with the ignition going off, how to shut the power off so it doesn't flatten the battery. There are plenty of ways to do this, but I'm still working on the cheapest and most reliable
    Is this going to take some sort of timing circuit to isolate it after a certain time?
    Not experienced any motors failing in this way and was thinking about the arial, and ABS pumps, these don`t have any protection circuits, quite happily flatting the battery in cases of failure? Agreed it would be a nice touch though.

Rides
    Just because Nissan can't design circuitry with foresight doesn't mean I can't

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack
    Has anyone got photos of the retract motors in the mirrors? How they mount and what they link to.
    A well late this response, but here's a piccy of the pivot/shaft thingy (a new one I had machined up, and the old, snapped one).

The motor mechanism loops over this and pivots the mirror on the main part of the shaft via a step-down gearbox.
    Cables run up the middle.
    The flats on the shaft are to locate it.
    The position sensor - well, switch, sits on the top part of the pivot.
    There's a heavy spring and a washer on it to hold the mechanism together, but allow it to pivot without using the motor, should something hit it. Doesn't work for trees when you reverse past them though

Rides
    What does the diode in the background do?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nene
    What does the diode in the background do?
    Lies on my desk. making it look messy, along with another 1/2 tonne of crap . You should see how much junk I'm reaching over to type this

Rides
    for the controlled folding in and out you can use a honda mirror controller , which is what i did on my s14 , the mirrors fold in and out with the alarm and i made it so i can also fold them via a button.

C.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie
    for the controlled folding in and out you can use a honda mirror controller , which is what i did on my s14 , the mirrors fold in and out with the alarm and i made it so i can also fold them via a button.
    Actually, I was planning on three relays Four if another idea works This is how computers were made before they were computers

Quote Originally Posted by John Bennett
    Lies on my desk. making it look messy, along with another 1/2 tonne of crap . You should see how much junk I'm reaching over to type this
    Your desk only looks messy? You're not trying!

I'm surrounded on all sides by pieces of paper, boxes, printer, assorted network equipment and my cluebyfour. Oh, and I have to make the network do something new by Friday.

I think I'm going to go to lunch now

Rides
    This needs to go into the useful threads, thread.

Rides
    All I have done with mine is to use a changeover relay to change the polarity to the mirror motors, with the relay coil connected to the ignition side of the ignition switch, if that makes sense.

Ignition on - mirrors fold out.
    Ignition off - mirrors fold in.

Rides
    The only problem with that is that you can't override it from the centre console switch

Rides
    I've found the easiest way to get JDM folding mirrors is to buy a JDM car

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude Dog
    I've found the easiest way to get JDM folding mirrors is to buy a JDM car
    OK, then, now you need to write a guide on that

Rides
    Mine where great when i 1st fitted them. Had the mirrors wired up the wrong way round, so one would open and the other close! Brought a smile to my face, was very comical. Now have got them wired up to my alarm, so that when i get out and lock the car with the alarm fob they fold in, and when i turn the alarm off and unlock they fold out. Sorry if its all been said, just though I should share, seeing as how I have actualy done a mod that I can talk about hahahaha