Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z32 AFM Installation

Rides

Z32 AFM Installation

You will require:-

1x Z32 AFM
    1x Z32 AFM Plug
    1x Kettle (+water +power for kettle)
    1x Bowl (for water from kettle, as I do not advise putting car parts in your regular kitchen kettle)
    1x Orange peel or similar thin but flexible object
    1x Soldering iron or other means of joining wires
    1x Multimeter for finding the correct wires

As previous stated on a number of posts it is perfectly possible to get the Z32 AFM into the stock inlet pipe, though I found it much easier to remove the whole pipe from the car.

1) Remove pipe from the car.
    2) Remove jubilee from the AFM end of the pipe.
    3) Boil kettle & pour water in to bowl.
    4) Leave AFM end of pipe in the bowl of boiling water for a short period, 20 seconds should be adequate.
    5) Slide pipe over the Z32 AFM using orange peel to stretch pipe slightly.
    6) Work pipe down so it is nicely seated on the Z32 AFM and refit jubilee.

You should be left with something like this:-

Then you have to butcher the loom as the S14 AFM and Z32 AFM connectors are completely different, as I'm sure you will all have realised. (I'd suggest not doing this at 11o'clock at night when you're tired because you might think you have it right but you probably won't )

The diagram on the main site IS correct but it's quite easy to get confused, especially when you're tired. To make life a little easier, I suggest using the labelling system on the Z32 AFM (A-F) and use the following information:

A - No connection
    B - White wire on S14 AFM loom
    C - Connect to ground, not on S14 AFM loom
    D - Black wire on S14 AFM loom
    E - Black/White wire on S14 AFM loom
    F - No connection

I put connectors on the S14 AFM loom and S14 & Z32 AFM plugs so that I could swap back if necessary - I also crimped a loop on C (the ground connection) of the Z32 AFM plug so that it could be screwed on by the power steering fluid bottle. Obviously, you can hard wire it and use any ground connection you like.

Will post pictures of the above soon, obviously you will need to select the correct option on your SAFC or PowerFC for the Z32 AFM too.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by adrianstokes; 26-05-2005 at 11:55.

Rides
    Looks like a good guide Have a word with that nice man Nismo Mark, I am sure he will add this to the useful threads sticky
    Last edited by drifter; 04-06-2007 at 12:14.

Rides
    Cracking write up.

Is this the same for the S14a, do you know? I have an idea the wires are different, but can't remember properly.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by disco-tom
    Cracking write up.

Is this the same for the S14a, do you know? I have an idea the wires are different, but can't remember properly.
    I think the wires are the same, they just have different plugs

JAPOKYO! cos im made of special! (Nuneaton)
    Rides
    nice one ade, i shall be using this guide myself when i do mine
    Its gone!

Rides
    I was under the impression that although the S14 and S14a have different AFM connectors the wires are the same? Perhaps someone could confirm this.

Rides
    Added to useful threads. Thanks for taking the time to do this

Rides
    No worries, hopefully it will help somebody .

BTW, with the engine off I was seeing ~0.5v on the Z32 AFM and ~1.4v at idle. (Readings taken from the Apexi PowerFC hand commander)
    Last edited by adrianstokes; 26-05-2005 at 12:24. Reason: Added Z32 AFM voltages

Rides
    Update:

Photos of wiring...

Took the car out for a short run last night just to check everything seemed okay. Ran fine up to ~3500rpm, after that it just overfuels but perfectly acceptable for driving to get it mapped.

Rides
    Used the guide to get my Z32 MAF in today - very helpful, thanks

didn't believe the rubber pipe would go over the MAF outlet, but it did sure enough! Car is ticking over & running fine, just ready to go to Abbey tomorrow

Earlier posts about the diagram on the main website being funny are correct - the picture of the original connector appears to have it's ridges upside down. Fortunately the colour coding is roughly the same between the S14 loom & the Z32 connector wiring (except the additional orange wire that goes to earth on the Z32)
    Last edited by Phyza; 14-07-2005 at 19:26.

Rides
    scrap changing your wiring loom. its a bodge. remove lid of afm's and actually swap the socket of the afm. simply de-solder the connector from internal connection pins on both afm sockets, then fit the one which matches you cars wiring loom to your new afm, then reseal afm lid. this is concurrent with z32 and q45 afms they are all based on the same pcb board with different components. looks neat and is more pro than loom chomping

Banned
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JackULate View Post
    scrap changing your wiring loom. its a bodge. remove lid of afm's and actually swap the socket of the afm. simply de-solder the connector from internal connection pins on both afm sockets, then fit the one which matches you cars wiring loom to your new afm, then reseal afm lid. this is concurrent with z32 and q45 afms they are all based on the same pcb board with different components. looks neat and is more pro than loom chomping
    sounds alot easier to me maybe your post should be made a sticky instead

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mixmasterspike View Post
    sounds alot easier to me maybe your post should be made a sticky instead
    It technically is as he has replied to this thread which is a sticky.

JackULate - have you done this job yourself or just heard/seen it done? If you have done it then wack up a thread with pics and explaination

Rides
    whats the benefit of a Z32 AFM?

Rides
    The stock afm runs out of voltage and thus runs out of scope to meter the air at about 315 or so bhp, if you want more power then you need one of these of course it needs an safc, emanage or other such bit of management to make it work.

I might be doing this mod in a few months myself, good rightup.

Rides
    Did it on a mates, you wont benefit from pictures its not hard just follow the instructions and you'll understand as you go through.

Rides
    Damn if we only had orange peels in italy!

Rides
    I have an S15 Spec R. Is it possible to fit this AFM to my car (stock ECU) and drive it down the day after to get it remapped or can it only be done at the same time as getting a remap?

I'll be driving down to see HD and getting his chip fitted and then he'll be doing a custom map on my car.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by wutang200 View Post
    I have an S15 Spec R. Is it possible to fit this AFM to my car (stock ECU) and drive it down the day after to get it remapped
    No.
    Has to be with the map

Rides
    Bugger

Will have to do a trial fit and then drive down with the Z32 plug attached to the existing loom so it's just a case of unplugging the standard AFM plug, fitting the AFM & filter then plugging in the Z32 plug already there or something.

That way I can always easily put it back to standard if required in the future.