Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, I guess it's modified now....

Rides

Cool Ok, I guess it's modified now....

Apologies for ropey pics - from a camcorder.

I fitted a new light to my dashboard this week (the middle orange one).

Ok, so I also added diff oil, and a washer level as they weren't on the digi-dash, but this one was special .

It's linked to the engine management. Sort of a primitive diagnostics light. Comes on when you go to ACC, but then stays off when I drive it, as I did for the first time last night (thankfully).

Took a bit of doing to make it work though, as I had to fit all of this:

The S15 engine + 6-speed box that Lennie spotted on here about 4 months ago, in this thread:
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=109341
    and I rashly bought.

Of course, owing to John's Law, it got lost in transit from Malaysia and wound up in L.A.. Eventually this was sorted and I got it just over 2 weeks ago.
    http://www.johnwbennett.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sr6.jpg

Took half my annual holiday to fit it (bloody freezing out there!).

Work still to be done - hasn't even got a gearknob yet: : to Jim Potter who's giving me one for nowt.
    http://www.johnwbennett.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sr7.jpg.
    Got a nice short-shift this gearbox (although the threads hurt your hands )

Need to tidy things up a lot, and finish painting the engine bay - seam-welding it (badly), took about half a week .

Also need to sort out the speedo, as it currently doesn't have one. Contrary to SXOC folklore - the speed sender isn't on the rear diff . Instead it uses the diff ABS sensor & computer to generate the signal, which as it turns out, is entirely unsuitable for an S13 speedo (digital or not). To make matters worse, the diff I was sent wasn't the helical one, and there were no half-shafts, so it's currenty acting as a door-stop. Fortunately an S13 LSD has the same ABS sensor for which I can adapt an electronics project to generate the speed. Problem with that is I need a shorter ABS propshaft (rear half) in order to fit the an LSD...
    Would be nice to get a helical S15 LSD (or even the one that came with the engine) onto the car, but it'll have to take a backseat for the moment (spent enough).

To make the exhaust fit, I sliced off the downpipe flange, rotated it and welded it back on. A custom exhaust will be made for it soon, as this Kwik-fit jobbie won't do the job for 250bhp?, I expect.
    Need to sort out the boost solenoid, and improve the Volvo intercooler pipework (maybe get some metal pipes) too.

Of course, it's getting the gentlest possible treatment until I'm 110% convinced it's all running properly.

Oh and it's exactly 'drop in' either - gearbox mounts needed a bit of filing and I had to get the S15 and S13 front propshaft's spliced as the 6-speed has different splines and centre bearings to the S13 one (a nice suprise when I found this out half-way). PAS pump and throttle cable needed brackets making up. Even spent half a day making a slinger to be able to lift it!

Car still looks a state - I'll tidy it up a bit, but I'm keeping it looking standard - wolf in sheep's clothing and all that

Oh and the wiring;
    http://www.johnwbennett.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sr5.jpg
    http://www.johnwbennett.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sr2.jpg

Could have died when I saw the 2-foot, 15kg ball of wires that came with it, but in the end I managed to fit it by joining about 10 wires (discretely). A write-up will be done ASAP.

Thanks to those I've pestered by PM (Ben Taylor especially ), and Matt_J for coming over for an evening to help fit it (and catching it with his knee when the crane collapsed due to a missing pin -fortunately he was fine (as was the engine ), Fry1 and IainS14 for donating/loaning bits (Artist - I'll borrow that boost gauge soon too ).

Oh and before someone says 'why - an engine with rocker arms and a weak gearbox?'
    Dunno really - cost a f**king fortune in the end after shipping + tax, but at least it's a bit different . Plus it's only got 19,000 miles on it - an S13 is for life, and all of that...

Oh and I'm off to a scrapyard next week, but I'd just like to say I'm looking out for the arofementioned S13 ABS rear prop, the grey 'turbo intercooler' spark plug cover and an SR20 PAS pump would be nice, as mine really is a bodge.
    Last edited by John Bennett; 12-12-2004 at 10:09.

Rides
    pffft, common as muck these SR conversions now! haha

nice job

I got my speed signal from the gearbox, works fine with a UK dash and my 180sx one?

Rides

Thats fooking amazing mate

(btw i think i have a PAS pump laying around somewhere )
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_T

nice job

I got my speed signal from the gearbox, works fine with a UK dash and my 180sx one?

EDIT: you could have used an S14 throttle cable too, straight fit

Rides
    cool :

The S15 engine is nice, it has some torque down low, and with an airfilter and exhaust with 1 bar will see you to nearly 300bhp. very nice too.

/Steve

Rides
    Top work
    I'm guessing your not aiming to give it big power via the 6-speed, just a FMIC & 1.1 Bar should do it ??

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_T

nice job

6-speeds don't have a speed sender on the box unfortunately. Will sort it though (have to, to get through Febs MOT). Intending on using the same circuit I'm designing to get RB25 gearbox senders to work with CA dashes, just altering the program.

Oh and 1 hour with a grinder and welder to make the throttle bracket

Must say coming on this BB 10 times a day hampered my progress somewhat

Not going for BIG power, it's probably lethal enough the way it is

Rides
    nice work john mate

Rides
    Greta work John, think I may have a coilpack cover lying around spare you can have, I'll have a look later

Rides
    definitely

must say im bloody impressed, never thought much of these ca > sr conversions till now anyway
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Superb :

Gotta love the short FMIC routing, as well

Rides
    'short' ? that's the usual s13 cheap bodgers approach, we're innovate us s13 lot
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SM
    Top work
    I'm guessing your not aiming to give it big power via the 6-speed, just a FMIC & 1.1 Bar should do it ??

std box should cope ok with 350bhp if you aren't sidestepping the clutch.

Option take em to that without upgrading the box.

/Steve

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bennett
    6-speeds don't have a speed sender on the box unfortunately. Will sort it though (have to, to get through Febs MOT).
    you don't need a speedo for the mot

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TomM
    Superb :
    Gotta love the short FMIC routing, as well
    Didnt spot that, is that the T5 intercooler ??

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SM
    Didnt spot that, is that the T5 intercooler ??
    Naa thats a 740/940 like mine

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by chris
    you don't need a speedo for the mot
    Hoooraaaaay . Think I'll need it working again for the multitiude of speed cameras cropping up round here though .

SM, 'volvo' IC - cost me £50 with a load of pipe. Horrid bodge though - haven't even bracketed it yet, and the PAS lines are almost onto the radiator. Maybe go for something a bit more flashy when I'm convinced all is well.
    Haven't even sorted a boost solenoid yet (going to try an S13 hot-start solenoid when I can source a Y-piece for the air hose.) Re-circ dump-valve isn't on yet either, but I'm not boosting it anyway (there's sure to be a fair few air-leaks to solve dut to the cut-n-shut pipework ).

For those kind people with the parts I need, I'll PM at some point soon, depending what I can scroungle locally

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Yak
    Naa thats a 740/940 like mine
    Cheers, dunno why I presumed T5, was sold as a Volvo IC.
    Just noticed it was huge, so I bought it.

JAPOKYO! cos im made of special! (Nuneaton)
    Rides
    well done John looks fantastic
    Its gone!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bennett
    SM, 'volvo' IC - cost me £50 with a load of pipe. Horrid bodge though - haven't even bracketed it yet, and the PAS lines are almost onto the radiator. Maybe go for something a bit more flashy when I'm convinced all is well.
    Aye, same as my first attempt with the VFIV fiting (see the pics on my site) but I got feed up with boost leeks so got a fitting kit of Bren for a lot more than the IC was but it did dort the leeks out qand looks a lot better. BTW If unbracjed mine and just used some wire at the bottom tp secure the base and this lets it rock with the engine and puts less pressure on the pipe joints

Its would be good tp show these S14/a lads that the VFIV can be used with a SR

Looking good though Six speed