Thread: How do leak down tests work?

Rides

How do leak down tests work?

As the title says... Is it something I could do? tool needed etc?

Cheers

Rides
    You need a source of compressed air, some way of connecting it to the spark plug port, and if you want to be really clever, a couple of pressure gauges and a regulator. Oh, and a warm engine...

Basically, you feed a regulated 100psi supply into a pressure gauge and on into the cylinder with the piston at top dead centre and all valves closed. The reading on the gauge is the result (it doesn't really matter what pressure you use, but 100psi makes converting the result to percent easy!). That's the proper way, but it's a lot of faffing for a figure which means very little to most people beyond the balance between cylinders.

But here's the good bit. Stuff all the gauges and regulators, just connect the air straight into the plug port and listen. You can tell where the air is leaking out by where the sound comes from. Inlet valves hiss in the plenum (pull the hose off the throttle body), exhaust valves hiss in the exhaust and rings/bores hiss in the oil filler or dipstick tube. Obviously, the rings are going to leak a bit (more than 10% is not too clever, less than 5% is good ) so it helps if you can compare engines for a bit of "instant experience".
    Head gasket leaks can hiss in the oil filler, blow bubbles in the rad, or even leak out the side of the head/block join into the engine bay!

Unlike a normal compression test, things like battery and starter condition make no difference, cam timing can be anything (you don't even need a cam in the engine so you can test part-built lumps) and any other mods that would normally affect a comp test are irrelevant.

Just one tip. Make sure it IS at TDC before you apply the air, or it'll be at BDC before you know it, and any spanners you left on the crank pulley will be doing nasties...

Rides
    And that's the last time I'm explaining it.

It's your job now. Congratulations! with the power invested in me I hereby renounce my curse....

Now if I can just find someone to post, "inlet valves mate" for me at appropriate moments...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy
    And that's the last time I'm explaining it.

It's your job now. Congratulations! with the power invested in me I hereby renounce my curse....

Now if I can just find someone to post, "inlet valves mate" for me at appropriate moments...

LOL, dude I am so not worthy

Thanks a lot, a bit more grease monkey terminology sussed - excellent job of explaining too. This ought to be one of the useful threads

Oh btw, its probs yer inlet valves mate

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by theory
    Oh btw, its probs yer inlet valves mate
    It'd better bloody not be, they've only done about 2k...

Rides
    big ends then ???

ok ok I'll hush now... although about 400 miles after I had my top end rebuilt my big ends went (grrr) - kinda funny now but wasn't at the time !

Rides
    instead of using spanners etc on crank pully you can leave the car in 4the gear
    and by pushing the car back and forward its much easier to find TDC
    make sure the car is not started BTW

leak down test are the best way without pulling thr engine down to check the condtion inside the engine

Rides

Rides
    I've just found a ready made adaptor for your air line here