Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips For Cheaper Insurance

Rides

Tips For Cheaper Insurance

From recent experience I found the following reduced my premiums.

Adding a named lady driver. Reduction £90

Having access / driving another vehicle. Reduction £40

This was with Admiral btw. So get your mum on there!

edit.

job title also makes a difference. I am an engineering manager in a drawing office.

if i am an engineer then it's +£35
    a manager is +£20
    but a drawing office manager = +£0
    so don't just pluck a job title out of thin air.

anyone got a link to the secret insurance book of job v risk?
    Last edited by Grim; 16-07-2004 at 14:14.

Rides
    It depends on the insurer. I asked about putting someone else on with Greenlight when I was taking my policy out - it's based on the main driver, so putting someone older/lady driver doesn't influence it...

Rides
    Put an RB25DET in

Pound for Power it works out cheaper
    Quote Originally Posted by TAS View Post
    I thought Matt_S invented SXOC
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI View Post
    Matt_S is the SXOC. They're the same entity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty2Fatty View Post
    Some say that he remembers when the whole planet was just a field & that his body is held together with cable ties and duct tape, all we know is, he's Matt_S

Rides
    I've made this a sticky, can we keep it on topic and only post good tips, although I do like Matt's idea a lot

Rides
    I actually played about with the online quote system thru admiral/elephant a while back, adding extra drivers to see what happened...

Adding father - dropped by a few quid
    adding mother - went up by a few quid (!!)
    adding partner - dropped by more than adding my father

Adding more than one person made it creep back up again. I have no idea how they work it out, I guess it's on relative age?

Stating your car is garaged or on a driveway also drops your premium, compared to parking it on the road.

Admiral don't seem to have a provision for boost increases, so I guess this comes under other modifications, so will be £££££

Rides
    I thought it only went down if you were co-habiting with the partner, so thats good to know...

Ken - Sorry if it seemed off topic, but for some reason, they went on the power increase of the donor cars engine, not the "cars" std power - i.e. the std 170bhp CAd car with 300bhp would cost more than an RBs car, as the power increase was only 50bhp, rather than 130bhp... Dont ask me why - I even queried it cos I dont I couldnt believe it either!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAS View Post
    I thought Matt_S invented SXOC
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI View Post
    Matt_S is the SXOC. They're the same entity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty2Fatty View Post
    Some say that he remembers when the whole planet was just a field & that his body is held together with cable ties and duct tape, all we know is, he's Matt_S

Rides
    I tried adding my g/f to my policy and it dropped by £200! :wow: This was with Elephant, and she doesnt live with me, so good drop there.

Rides
    Limited Mileage should help drop premium. I haven't done it yet, but will come renewal time.

Thatcham immobiliser saved a lot as well (Privilege)

Garaging cut premium too, as did adding my wife to the insurance, and having another car to use (her car).

Staying with Privilege, I did a "Driving Training session" about 4 yrs ago. I had to pay for this myself £50-ish. A couple of hours with a driving instructor (with his own car and turned up at my door) and no pass or fail. Got something like 15% off my insurance (and still do every year).

Not sure if they are still doing that. Worth asking.

Rog

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty T
    I tried adding my g/f to my policy and it dropped by £200! :wow: This was with Elephant, and she doesnt live with me, so good drop there.

just don't tell her. otherwise that's £200 toward the ring/wedding/home improvements/clothes for her....

just sneak of to apex.

other trades provide similar parts for similar prices

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim
    so don't just pluck a job title out of thin air.
    Ferrari test driver.

Rides
    Drug dealer?

Rides
    i already got a cheap quote from Flux that noone else could come near to, then 2 weeks after renewal i passed the advanced driving test and through the IAM i got a quote that was £60 less again. Only thing is, it would've cost more to cancel with Flux than i would've saved, but next year i'll definately go with them. By the way, if anyones interested, £85 will get you all you need for passing advanced driving test, including all instruction, a reference book, AND test fee, AND 1st years membership to the IAM!

Rides
    the adding spouse trick is great so long as you've got a missus with a clean driving licence, over 25 years old and doesn't go smashing up other cars in Tesco's car park

The amount of times I've had to explain to people who have taken their wife OFF the policy that the premium has to go UP is unreal! They all act suprised. The worst one was when a guy rang up who's wife had just died - and I had to tell him it was an additional premium rather than a return. He said he was trying to save for her funeral as they hadn't thought of any life insurance etc etc - I was nearly in fookin tears for him - so agreed that we'd pay the additional. My boss found out and I was very nearly sacked, but ffs you had to have a heart

Rides
    What would have happened if he had he had left a dead person on the policy?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry
    the adding spouse trick is great so long as you've got a missus with a clean driving licence, over 25 years old and doesn't go smashing up other cars in Tesco's car park

The amount of times I've had to explain to people who have taken their wife OFF the policy that the premium has to go UP is unreal! They all act suprised. The worst one was when a guy rang up who's wife had just died - and I had to tell him it was an additional premium rather than a return. He said he was trying to save for her funeral as they hadn't thought of any life insurance etc etc - I was nearly in fookin tears for him - so agreed that we'd pay the additional. My boss found out and I was very nearly sacked, but ffs you had to have a heart
    If I were you, I would have stabbed your boss in the neck at that point. That sh1t just aint on

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Yak
    What would have happened if he had he had left a dead person on the policy?
    on the insurance form , they list a number of medical conditions. don't think dead was one of them.

Rides
    Adding anyone to my policy ups the cost an additional £40 for my dad, 60 for my mother, and £400 for my partner. On several insurers I've had no reduction quoted for IAM, and one suggested my days Rally instruction course upped the premium as I was more likely to drive like a nutter.
    J

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteboy
    On several insurers I've had no reduction quoted for IAM,
    J
    I didn't get quoted a discount for being in the I.A.M. either, but on passing the advanced test you get details of a specific insurer that WILL offer a discount, and as per my above post, it was cheaper by £60 than ALL of the other quotes I had. And considering that Flux were the cheapest by far over the other companies, to get a quote that was a further £60 less meant that in my instance, passing the test was well worth it

Rides
    Directline beat all quotes ive ever had TPFT by at least £40, I considered the IAM but usually their discounted insurers are massively more to start with so it always seemed pointless spending the £65 to pass.

J

Rides
    Hi,

I'm new to this board. I currently live in California, USA but I will begin studying at Swansea Institute this September in Motorsport Engineering.

I have owned both a s13 and s14a here in the states and currently have a FD3S RX-7 twin turbo.

Just wanted to know what I could expect to pay in insurance for a s13 in Swansea area. Im 21 and unmarried.