Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: short shift fitting?

Rides

short shift fitting?

i got one but is there anything i should worry about before atempting to fit it myself

place your tips here...............

Rides
    Check the web site before fitting it...

Don't just guess how it goes because it seems it should go that way around, and then find it won't stay in gear...

Happened to a 'friend' of mine

The fact that I have one is just a coincidence
    SXOC Member #62SXOCCar Gone & ZX-12RPS4 - AFKAN
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...

Rides

Rides
    Try this one mate

OBX Install
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    Sorry Faster, I thought you were installing one with someone on Sun? Thats why I didnt send you the link to the fitting instructions.

Were all square now. Well, actually you owe me about £7 but its close enough to call it quits

Rides
    PML ok im a fool i rushed in and now im stuck ive read the fitting info but its still B-atch

cheers bren ill buy you a pint next time im up

Rides
    What are you stuck with?

Rides
    yeah, whats up? I've fitted one and as long as you put the bits back in the order as shown in the pictures, it'll be fine.

Make sure you have a couple of cable ties and some silicone sealant handy too. And you need to remove the rubber boot from the old stick to re-use.

Rides
    way hey i got it on and works fine that rubber boot thingy i got it to stretch over the whole bracket without it ripping and its secured great with no stress on it when i move through the gears

Rides
    Fastercainy, whats the shifting like, a "lot" different/shorter than standard?

Rides
    yeah it works great its got a definate in gear feal to it and i used to have to pause in between 1st and 2nd or it would sorta grind at high revs slightly but now thats gone you do get a winey noise and jacko reported the same on his but yep it was worth the coin

Rides
    Might have to consider one...

Rides
    definately tempted.

Rides
    Get one they are sooooo much better than standard
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    I must say that the only *letdown* of my 200 is the gearchange, its not what I expected really, but if this sorts it out then..........

Awww God, looks like Mr Mastercard is gonna be a rich bunny this Xmas!

Rides
    Get one!!!
    You neeeeeeeeeed one!

Its sooooo slinky
    Each gear change is now with a little snick snick

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!
    NEW TOY!!!!

Rides
    OK, OK

Rides
    Okay fitted mine finally this weekend....

And there is a defo transmission whine...

and I believe the fault lies with the Bush around the new shifter, it doesnt seem to hug the ball joint as the standard one does, in fact there is around 4mm of play, as the rounded part of the bush doesnt hug the ball due to it resting too high on the ball mount (that make sense - this is also whats causing the play). So I have sanded down the bush slightly with a cirlular sander to alleviate some of the movement with some success and then used one of the original spring clips as a spacer on top of the ill fitting bush (or collar).

The transmission noise is 'slightly' annoying and the shifter vibrates (though not visiably) at higher RPM but I suppose thats a feature?

I am going to dismantle the top plate soon, and see if I can make the bush fit better and probably put another wave washer on top of it to seal around the shift ball to see if that will quiten it.

Shift is VERY VERY nice though

Rides
    Originally posted by Vez
    Okay fitted mine finally this weekend....

And there is a defo transmission whine...

and I believe the fault lies with the Bush around the new shifter, it doesnt seem to hug the ball joint as the standard one does, in fact there is around 4mm of play, as the rounded part of the bush doesnt hug the ball due to it resting too high on the ball mount (that make sense - this is also whats causing the play). So I have sanded down the bush slightly with a cirlular sander to alleviate some of the movement with some success and then used one of the original spring clips as a spacer on top of the ill fitting bush (or collar).

The transmission noise is 'slightly' annoying and the shifter vibrates (though not visiably) at higher RPM but I suppose thats a feature?

I am going to dismantle the top plate soon, and see if I can make the bush fit better and probably put another wave washer on top of it to seal around the shift ball to see if that will quiten it.

Shift is VERY VERY nice though
    I played around with mine too after noticing exactly the same probs you did. To solve the top cup problem I just cut it off and then cut the original top cup off the old stick and put that on it. Obviously a perfect fit!!

There was still a bit of play between the top cup and the top plate so, to solve 2 problems in one, I cut the bottom half of the rubber boot off and instead of having to glue it to the top plate it is now through the centre hole in the top plate so when the plate is clamped down the boot seals the top of the gearbox and also acts as a spacer to stop the top cup moving.

Does that make any sense, I'm just waffling I think.
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Rides
    So does that resolve any of the noise issues....

And the play?

and how did you cut thte cup top bit off from around the stick, i.e: Will the plastic hold up to be being bent?