Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO aaaaaaaaaargh

Rides

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO aaaaaaaaaargh

I do not believe it.

Driving to work tonight, 10 mins after logging off here.
    join on ramp for M74 where roadworks now are, two lanes, using hard shoulder as one.
    Im on hard shoulder aproaching small bridge doing 40 odds, go over bump as it steps up to bridge and i hear a noise as if i had ran over a tarpaulin and was dragging it with me.

hoping beyond hope that i was dragging a tarp or a mudflap, i was infact greeted with the truely deflating and horrifying site of my fuel tank lying on the tarmack, and the bent and rusty halfed straps lying limpl;y behind.

I think ill now take my title back thank u!!!!

So within 20 mins the polis had arrived and stopped all the very near misses that werre going on at the back of the car.
    WHAT THE FCUK TO PEOPLE THINK HAZARD LIGHTS MEAN????

So as it was on the roadworks they arranged a recovery truck to take me off the mway, to the nearest safe place which was a service station, where i then waited 2 hours on a RAC truck to take me and the bitch, the 5 mile trip home.

Had to bend the filler neck to get the tank in the boot, and what looked like a breather snapped off as i tried to remove the tube from it.

so it looks like i need a new tank, new straps, new filler neck and new mounts, and all b4 billing in less than two weeks.

Any ideas on where to get this shit would be very much appreciated, cos the credit card is maxed and i got f all dosh, so going to nissan, aint an option.

Mat J, i know u got ur own troubles mate, but any light u can shed on this would be great mate, cos i know u had ur tank off not too long ago.

Most annoying thing is that i only filled her up last night, so theres £45 of optiplop sitting oozing over my boot floor atm.
    GREAT!!!!!

sometimes i really hate that bitch!!!
    Last edited by Kev; 14-07-2003 at 02:43.
    Member no. 31 Project Purplyness
    CA19.5DET 390BHP

Rides
    JESUS KEV BLOODY HELL!!!

I'm sorry but I have to admit I couldn't help laughing at the mental image of someone leaving their fuel tank behind. But, I do feel for you mate, your luck isn't very good at all is it?

I never realised the tank was so easy to lose, I'll check mine!

Rides
    OMG!!! I used to have nightmares about that when I knew one of my straps had rotted through.

kev, I have some straps and a manky but funcional tank, **** knows how I'd get the tank to you though. If you can find a way to get them to you, you can have them.

Rides
    Same here mate..... OMG.....

If ya can get to me ya can have a tank and straps and the bits req'd......
    I'm just north of york......

hope it helps....

Rides
    fcuk sake kev thats a real pisser

hope u get it sorted bud, you still might be towing me into billing lol

Rides
    Oh bollocks Kev, I feel for ya matey, that's a bastard thing to happen

Hope you get it sorted

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Kev

Fecking bar steward.
    Hope you get it going soon.

I've just recently got shot off the fuel tank and straps from the breaker otherwise you could have had them..... Sorry m8.

Rides
    i did a write up on this problem. do a search.

it explains how to get new straps made for less than £5 instead of £90 which i think i was qoutoed for new straps.

Rides
    Holy shit Kev!

Hope you get it sorted soon mate!

Rides
    OMG!

If it makes you feel better imagine what might have happen with a full tank, a few sparks from dragging it and a bit of spillage. Scary stuff

I was kaking my self when I was installing me Walbro...

Hope you get it all bolted to gether again soon.
    Last edited by Yak; 14-07-2003 at 09:58.

Rides
    Scary sh1t mate Best of luck getting it sorted. I wish there was something I could do to help mate (a sentiment shared by all I'm sure)

Rides
    Get your lazy arse out of your bed and you can come over and get the tank out of my spare car. The tools are in the boot of my car if you want them to.

Rides
    SALVATION!
    from the ever sympathetic Dobergoose

PMSL

Rides
    absolutely amazes me how ppl on this board help eachother out so much in hours of need. Its a tribute to the type of ppl we have on here - kev being one of the good guys himself so "what goes around comes around" eh matey?

Rides
    thanks very much guys, honestly posts like this lift ur spirits a bit when ur feeling down.
    Jezz, Hardrhino, thank u very much for the very kind offers boys, but i think the tank i have on my spare *may* be ok, ill check later on.
    Alan, thats just sods law mate.

Turbo Pete, yeah i remember that now mate, ill have a search for ur thread about getting the straps made up bud, thanks.

Wak, Yak, yeah it was pretty scarey seeing it lying there, but must have been funny for anyone behind me.
    the tank was full, but didnt rupture even though it was dragged for a good 100feet id imagine, and i was able to disconnect the hoses and wiring through the access square in the boot with a swiss army knife supplied by the polis, nice guy

dobergoose, i cant, i got no car to get over to ya lol, and i was cursin u last night for taking all me tools, was just lucky the polis had a swss army knife.
    Am really glad it didnt happen to u when u took it to the meet, cos i know ud have felt guilty about it.

Im a bit more positive now, im sure ill get it fixed b4 billing, could have killed Kimberley last night though.
    sitting at the side of the road, and she says
    "so how u gonna fix it?",
    me "dunno, havent thought about that yet"
    , Kimberley "will it be ready for billing?"
    me "i hope so, its gotta be"
    Kimberley "i dont think it will be, cant see it"
    me " u really think i wanna hear that just now?????"

I think she was a tad surprised, im usually quite calm when the car falls apart.
    quite a casual statement that eh, thats cos as most of u will know, im well used to it by now, just as well i love that bitch (and i mean the car here)

anyway.... time to start phoning round places.

Matt......... are u there mate?
    CA19.5DET 390BHP

Rides
    sorry kev BB was feckin up on me earlier, and im just in constant sweating mode withs ome sort of flu that i have caught and on top of that, tried putting the engine in with my g/f and we ran out of time again, will try later tonight.

Ok, so having read the posts etc, if your spare tank is no good mate and you canne get dober's one (is he in Glasgow?) then Hardrhino is below me in North Yorks, it would be one HELL of a round trip and i wont have any money for another week but i would collect it with him willing and bring it up to you, and we could fit it together no worries dont worry either way we will get you to Billing.

re: fitting the tank dont worry too much, tbh its not a biggie of a job BUT with the subframe in the way it can be a bit of a **** getting to one bolt. In essence theres two straps that hold the tank to the chassis, one strap is almost in line with the centre of the car and is held in place by one 17mm bolt into the chassis at each end of the strap, on the strap next to the right hand side of the car, the engine side of the strap is another 17mm bolt but the back is held in place with a pin through a bracket. Check the manual mate i know it shows it very easily there and you will understand what i mean. The filler neck itself is held in place with a 10mm bolt which shears whenever you remove it, neither myself nor Jezz_S13 buggered about trying to drill or tap or owt, it can be left, with the tank strapped up properly i cant see there being a problem anyway.

Best thing i could advise mate is get your car off the ground at the rear and inspect underneath to see whats happened and if theres any further damage, get yourself a new fuel pump o-ring ordered from nissan and try and salvage some optimax it will work out ok

Rides
    Shit Kev, just saw this mate..... Fcuker ! You've always got to find a new thing to break don'cha !!!!

I'm off this week so if you need a skinny fecker to crawl about under yer mota to help you, just give me a call .

Jonny

PS. I've got a can of waxoil in my boot that belongs to you.

Rides
    gonna pick up martin (dobergoose) in a little while and we shall see what we can accomplish tonight.

Thanks for the phonecall Matt, ur a sound lad

Went to nissan for a laugh.
    Guy is actually brand new there.
    Anyway prices are.
    Straps £89
    Fuel tank £300+
    Filler neck £137 +VAT

so i guess its fixin it time then lol.
    Ok what does everyone think bout this.
    the small breather has snapped off, whatabout i force some brake pipe into the hole to act as a breather?
    looks bout same size, and ill seal it with putty.

I got some plate lying in the spares car to re-inforce the chassis legs, but i could cut a few strips off it, and weld or bolt it onto the brackets which ill remove from the existing rusty excuses for straps, then cover in waxoyl.

ill empty the tank for now into the spare cars tank to let me work on this one.
    what do u guys think about getting some water and washing up liquid into the tank, im hoping that on the off chance of some sparks, the water would null any probs with fuel?

then ill get some putty on the bad bits of the filler neck once ive cleaned it all up, and cover the full neck on extra intercooler hoses i have to stop anything getting at it?

Thoughts on all of this boys pls.

Jonny, ill be working on it for the next week anyway mate, gonna fit the lsd diff while im at it, so any help u can offer mate would be great.

Kev
    CA19.5DET 390BHP

Rides
    OMG you lost your tank?! Now this is some serious shite!

And its only held in place with some goddamn straps

Hoping the S14 ones better secured...

Rides
    You don't need much water to swill the tank just do it a good few times then leave some in when working...... with the weather as it is get the work on the tank done first then leave it out in the sunshine to evaporate the rest of the water..... you'll be suprised it gets rid of it fairly quickly. (done it loads of times when having to repair bent bike tanks......)

if ya need mine i'm busy but sure i could find the time to whip it off with some guidance..... whens Billing???????????