Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonight Matthew I'm going to be......

Rides

Tonight Matthew I'm going to be......

Fitting my quick shifter as my first "MAJOR" mod (major for me is like an aftermarket cig lighter for most of you lot)
    SXOC Member #62SXOCCar Gone & ZX-12RPS4 - AFKAN
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    Well done m8 we have all got to start somewhere. Give us a shout when it is done as I was looking at buying one of these aswell

Rides
    Mate, have you got an S13 of a S14. And is this an OBX short shifter. if so can you let me know how you get on as it isn't working to well for me.

Cheers

Kish

Rides
    yeah, I'm interested in getting one next time too but there has been a few problems with S13 peeps, so I wonder if it'll be the same for S14 peeps.

Rides
    Originally posted by kish
    Mate, have you got an S13 of a S14. And is this an OBX short shifter. if so can you let me know how you get on as it isn't working to well for me.

Cheers

Kish
    Kish, his sig says 2000 S14a.

Rides
    I'm goiung to fit my OBX shifter on Thurs hopefully Let me know how it goes - I have silicone bonder/sealant and threadlock ready

Rides
    Note to diary.....

Make sure that you THOROUGHLY check the PDM-Racing Site for fitting instructions

Like a muppet read it yeaterday and thought "Piece of Pi$$"

WRONG

Put bloody collar in the wrong place and now it won't stay in gear DOH Bloody DOH

Won't take long to fix, must get up early tomorrow and sort it before I drive to work

I would say that currently its dropped the throw by about 1/3.

Only other problem is that the boot thats supplied with it will NOT
    stick to the Ally bracket. I put tonnes of silicone glue bollox on it and it till fell off when I put it on, and I left the thing for ages

Will report back here tomorrow when I have:-

a) fixed the idiot error (I knew I was going to screw this up)

b) I will be ragging it over to Harlow tomorrow to pick up Momo gear knob along A414 so it will get a thorough road test.
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    Hmmmm..

From those pictures they have the steel collar below the bush socket..is that right?

I sat mine right under the plate. That may be my problem. They need to supply those instructions with the kit.

Rides
    Andy,

Thats exactly what I did too so I am assuming that thats the problem.
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    It goes in the hole in this order.

1: NEW collar
    2: Wave washer
    3: Existing plastic thing with two metal rods in it.

Rides

Lets try that again....

Right then update....

Got up early this morning to sort previous problem induced yesterday by muppet user error i.e. mine.

Half hour later problem is now rectified and the gear box is wonderful.

Nice positive feel with a snick into every gear

Left right movement is massively reduced, so is going to take some getting used to

The installation instructions state that the screws in the plate don't need to be really tight as they provide adjustment of the feel.....

This is of course CRAP as on my S14a anyway there is still a couple of mm of travel up and down in the socket even with the screws fully tight. For adjustment the collar that is in the base needs to be bigger or a second one is required between the base plate and the top of the plastic mount on the shifter.

Would be interested to know how you S13 boys get on with it?

Still not convinced with the dust boot ally bracket interface but will check this and see how it holds up. Cable tie is useless
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    I was going to use silicone bonding stuff to stich the rubber boot down, as the cable tie is never going to work...

Would I be better off with lots of superglue gel? Or something like No More Nails?

Rides
    Well being a self confessed mechanical duffus I thought I'd have a look.
    Took it apart and it does look like a piece of pi55
    And then Doh!!!
    I made the same mistake as you guys, will fix it tonight

Rides
    Just a quick point. If you still have maybe 3/4mm of play at the top and the bolts are done up tight. Take the top plate off and turn the plate with the 2 nuts on it the other way round. This should get rid of the excess play.

Kish

Rides
    Sorted mine now too!

Thanks for the link to that help page.

Fools rush in and all that

Rides
    Does the kit come with a gear knob?
    Can you put the old one back or do you need to get a nice new one (don't want to hide all all that shineyness ) ?

And whats with the glueing stuff?

If all goes well with you guys when the next batch arrive, one of them will have my address on it

Rides
    I've got a NISMO one of those and it fitted fine, no probs at all, even for me. That was my first "personally done" mod too

Rides
    It doesn't come with a gearknob but the old one does go back on

Rides
    Originally posted by Dan_BlitzedS14
    I've got a NISMO one of those and it fitted fine, no probs at all, even for me. That was my first "personally done" mod too
    If Dan can fit one i can't be hard!

I might even let my sister fit mine!

Rides
    With a bit of help from BeanS14 I got my OBX shifter fitted tonight

The install was a doddle once the 2 circlips had been removed, and the old shifter taken out.

There is a marked increase in noise from the box, plus some new rather gravelly noises/feeling above 5k, and lots of whining when shifting down.... can anyone tell me what might be causing this increase in noise?

Might the gravely noise be det? I can feel it through the stick though, so maybe it just needs some adjustment, might it not be quite located??? I'll try turning round the collar bush bit tomorrow.

The little bent bits with the 2 bolt holes - I fitted these with the bolts pointing down, and without the spring washers, as this seemed to provide the best fit.

The bit about not tightening the bolts fully is rubbish - mine go all the way in and tighten fully Does everyones do this? There's no play between the metal top plate provided and the bushes below - and the assembly doesn't spin as the PDM website suggested!

The throw is minute now, with a lovely postive feel. I did thread a bolt for the top cover bit, but i have loads of bolts lying about to replace it with I just hope I can quiten it down.

Btw, does anyone else have a bare bit of metal to the front of the shifter on the transmission tunnel - i.e. no sound deadening? This was rather hot on my car, and I'm worried it might melt wires there - am I being silly?

Overall..... 7/10 - unless I can reduce the noise tomorrow by adjusting it a bit

Please throw in you comments about fitting, and especially noise please people I want to compare notes to see if I can adjust mine to reduce noise, and the nasty gravely grating noise/feel above 5k