Thread: Vac/Boost hose layout

Rides

Vac/Boost hose layout

hi guys.
    Im still having a bit of trouble with the S13 CA18DET. Im getting no boost on the boost gauge still, the needle goes up to zero when driven but no higher. Im pritty sure the layout is still messed up so im hoping from the pic below some of you guys can point me in the right direction.

The blue hoses are the ones in question, also I have a metal pipe that runs round the back of the engine that goes to nothing, also a blue hose on the diagram that goes to nothing too.

This is what I have.
    An help would be great, Ive looked at the workshop manual but the hose layout is hard to workout.

Many thanks in advance
    Nick

Rides
    The turbo is pushing air into the engine at pressure, a boost gauge measures air pressure going into the engine, therefore a boost gauge would be tapped into the intake system, the best place to do this is after the throttle body (the see-through pipe); see image below.

IMG: Intake Plenum

You can then perform the Hot Start Solenoid Bypass (HSSB), which removes the carbon canister and some piping.

IMG: Carbon Canister

Just remove all the blue piping (in your diagram) and the metal pipe. You can also remove the little valve thing that all the pipes go into. Dont remove the Power Transistor (silver finned thing) that's important!!

IMG: Power Transistor

After you have removed all the piping and can, you can then take a nice piece of vac hose and do the following on the back of the intake plenum.

IMG: HSSB

In all honesty you don't have to do this but i think i can vouch for 90% of the pepole on here that have modified their s13s, that they have removed it. It clutters the engine bay and its a good place to put an oil catch tank.

NOTE: Make sure you block the little hole in the elephant trunk going into the turbo. And the tappet just before the throttle body.

Last edited by remo; 21-09-2010 at 21:36.

Rides
    Hi mate, can you be abit more specific. I still need the boost gauge to test if I have boost, also what do I do about the inlet on the hose behind the airfilter?

Can you take some more photos of the setup you have on the passenger side?

If anyone else has any photos of the vac pipe routing just so I can get this back to standard.

Cheers
    Nick

Rides
    refresh page and re-read ive updated it :P

but saying that....

Quote Originally Posted by remo View Post
    The turbo is pushing air into the engine at pressure, a boost gauge measures air pressure going into the engine, therefore a boost gauge would be tapped into the intake system, the best place to do this is after the throttle body (the see-through pipe); see image below.

IMG: Intake Plenum
    I.E. Plug boost guage in that hole, then take the car for a drive!!!!
    Last edited by remo; 21-09-2010 at 21:37.

Rides
    Don't go back to standard, just bin the hot start solenoid as said above and re-run the plenum rear nipple to the fuel pressure reg with a 6-7 inch bit of hose.

The inlet on the hose behind the air filter - block it with a screw. You don't need it.

On the passenger side you'll then have nothing but the piping going from the front of the turbo compressor housing to the actuator head.

Rides
    dont worry dude i asked the same question when i got my s13 :P and arry came to my rescue

Rides
    thanks guys I really know nothing about this lot. Remo, is that outlet for the boos gauge on the inlet already there for me to connect the pipe too, I cant remember as the car is at my garage. Just preparing for tomorrow. Also I cant remember seeing a carbon cannister in my engine bay. The pic I did is the 'little valve thing' you say to remove that has 2 pipes going in the rear and one out the front.

Am I ok leaving this metal pipe that runs round the back inplace for now (it wont do any harm just sat there?)

Finally one of these off an S14 was connected with a Blitz Boost Controller, where could I plumb this in? (I removed it to get me head round the basics)

Thanks for the help so far.

Rides
    The little metal pipe will do nothing but sit there so it's fine.

Car might not have a carbon cannister as they were only fitted to facelift models.

The nipple Remo is talking about is obscured by the strut brace on that picture but is there "as standard" and if it's pre-facelift will be blanked off with a rubber hose section, just remove the blanker and use it. If it's got a pipe coming off it already - it'll be going to the carbon cannister down front of the radiator - search to remove the carbon cannister, and use that nipple for the boost gauge anyway.

As for the blitz boost controller - don't know the specifics of plumbing that particular model but in general you have to place it in between the actuator head and the turbo nipple/outlet with a vac feed running to it also - which can be the same vac feed as you run your boost gauge from, just tee'd off to supply both.

Rides
    Brilliant Arry, I shall have a play with it tomorrow and see how I go. I shall post the results.

Thanks again to both of you.

Nick

Rides
    Many thank, got the job done this morn and its at full chat.....phew. Thanks for the advice guys.

The only thing I havent done is;

NOTE: Make sure you block the little hole in the elephant trunk going into the turbo. And the tappet just before the throttle body.

Is this necessary now? if so can you post some photos or explain more about where and what to do, I just dont want to cock owt up.
    Am I ok to also cut the plug that went onto the small valve which was attached to the power transistor?

Thanks in advance...yet again

Nick

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroNick View Post
    Is this necessary now? if so can you post some photos or explain more about where and what to do, I just dont want to cock owt up.
    Am I ok to also cut the plug that went onto the small valve which was attached to the power transistor?
    Nick

oh yes, metered air will escape and mess up your Air/Fuel ratio.

dont worry about that plug, just tape it to a loom.

here is where to plug up the holes :P

as you can see ive already done this one :P

just use screws and small vac hose to block them

Rides
    Thanks yet again. Ive already blocked the first hole, just the one infront of the throttle body im not too sure about, I shall recheck it tomorrow....ta

Rides
    if its a preface s13 it should already be blocked as standard.

Rides

Rides
    a factory s14 boost solenoid i think retro nick posted ,it gives the 1st gear boost cut so best thing is whip it off and throw it over your neighbours garden if you don't like them lol ,can't emember if my 13 had 1 tbh its been sooooo long lo

Rides
    The S13 has no boost control solenoid as std, fitting an S14 won't do anything other than cause trouble.