Thread: Lose No claims if dont insure a car ?

Rides

Lose No claims if dont insure a car ?

Hey guys, How does it work with retaining your No claims ?

Currently with Sky insurance, and have like 16yrs no claims, currently insured on the s14a...
    Am part thinking selling my S14a in March, which is when the insurance is due.....
    Am also part thinking come June, I will buy another car, that might be an old boring thing like a BM 525D/530D , or, I might stop having stupid thoughts and buy another S14a, but someones prized toy who happens to be selling a car for around £6/£6.5k.....

If there is a few months gap like that, can I still keep my NCB ? am pretty sure I heard years ago, that if you don't insure another car within a short time, you stand to lose 'X' amount of years worth of NCB ???

I also have a 2nd policy with Sky, as had to buy a part daily car last year, and that is up in May..... So idea is to either have just 1 car (BMW), or stick with my part daily battle wagon and have another S14a, which i'll part use as a daily too (I drive 2500 miles to work per month)...

Rides
    Worth checking with your current insurer, but I believe you're good for a couple of years.

Rides
    that helps!
    cheers

Rides
    It is probably in the terms of your current insurance policy but it is fairly standard practice that you can "carry" no claims discount (NCD) without a policy being in force for up to 2 years.

Some policies (especially for classic cars) don't have NCD and this can be good if you want yet another car and don't have any NCD you can use because you are using it on another policy. However, it is bad if you do already have NCD as the NCD can't usually be held on the policy to keep it current so, after 2 years, you lose your accrued NCD even though you had a policy in force.

Same applies for Fire and Theft only policies that you might take out if the car is going to be off the road for a long time. You need to check that the NCD is registered on the insurance and will keep the NCD current.

Make certain that you keep the renewal notice from your old insurance and check that it shows the no claims. If its not shown or you throw the renewal away, you will have to get written confirmation of NCD from your previous insurer and that can be a real pain in the ass.

Rides
    2 years, then if they haven't been used within that time you loose them. Also might be worth looking in to multi car policies as some mirror your no claims on to 2nd or 3rd car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kingk View Post
    2 years, then if they haven't been used within that time you loose them. Also might be worth looking in to multi car policies as some mirror your no claims on to 2nd or 3rd car

Multi-car policies are a bear-trap. Most times, if you have more than one set of NCD, you come away from them with only one set of NCD so you are pretty much tied to multi-car.

Some companies (like Sky) will mirror your NCD on policies for extra cars but the downside is you won't earn NCD on the extra policy so your tied to them for the long term.

Rides
    cheers guys
    I have Sky insurance on the s14a for a while now, and although relevant, have the 16yrs NCD
    my 2nd policy with them on my Saab, is F&F and will have 1yr NCD by May...
    Sky kinda mirror my main NCD, so I do get a decent price to insure my Saab....

The main thing is knowing I wont lose my NCD if I don't apply it to any policy for a few months...

Rides
    You'll be fine mate. Just make sure you get them to send you proof of no claims certificate when you end policy