Thread: Opinions/Experiences Hyundai coupe's

Rides

Opinions/Experiences Hyundai coupe's

So my wife's looking to get a replacement for her Citroen C4 (1.6 hdi). She's been looking and the 2nd gen Hyundai Coupe has caught her eye. Mainly looking at the 2L models as she wants something a bit quicker than her current car. I have no clue about them so just looking for a little advice here, anyone had any experiences with them, how are they on a day to day basis? Any problems to look out for with them? Fuel economy etc.
    Also any similar alternatives anyone can think of, she's set a budget of around 3K
    Any help greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Rides
    My take on them is quality is really lacking,everything is low standard,the engines are old tech and low on power
    we had one an early 2.0 auto and it had munched it's thrust bearing/center main so badly the crank was moving 10mm approx
    and it had stripped the torque convertor drive splines, we got stuck with the car and had to get another engine
    2 secondhand engines later it worked but the bottom end was rattling,1st engine had a bit of head gasket hanging out!
    none of these engines had done more than 60k,the car we were given had only done 48k iirc
    no idea if the later ones are really better, but I would avoid

A celica is such a better car,and cheap 3k will get a low miles gen 7 vvtl 190hp or 140hp version loads cheaper again
    just lacking the 50hp kick at 5k revs,
    can't think of any other fwd coupes (if that is the choice?) mitsi fto is a looker but a bit old but not a bad car

Rides
    As a counter to the experience above - a friend of mine has had one for circa 7 years now and it's been pretty much faultless mechanically.

Fit and finish on the interior aren't a strong point for the type of car (ie coupe) but if it were in a family hatch the quality would feel generally acceptable.

Fairly sure I drove it when he first got it and thought it was OK - obviously didn't leave me with a lasting impression though

Rides
    WES! blow the budget and just get Rena a more door skyline or something be perfect for baby duties and family stuff or a stagea! much JDM coolness

Rides
    Friend had a v6 coupe. Running costs rather high, he was struggling to get more then mid20's mpg and the performance while OK, didn't equal the expense. He had no reliability issues with it at all though..
    I thought the interior not bad, no worse then s14 standard and well equipped too. More practical then a s14 too.

Rides
    Our 2003 V6 had nothing other than servicing over 7 years. Up there with the best cars we have owned.

Rides
    Tiff described the performance of a V6 coupé as "adequate".

Rides
    Other half had one for about 2 years.

It was LPGed as well, and got 35mog on LPG meaning real world 70mpg

Was ok to drive, under powered for a 2 litre and no torque. Poor quality interior, and parts where obviously made to a budget, but it did drive quite well down a B road, just no refinement on a motorway etc.

Celica is a better call for that budget, far superior car.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Thanks for all the responses, I'm trying to get her to lean more towards a celica but for some reason she loves the look of the coupes, I think they look pretty similar though! Really want a gt4 but out of budget, anyone had a go in a 1.8l t sport corolla, think they came with 190hp?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Tanuki on here had a t sport rolla so may get some feedback from him ?,
    used same 190 vvtl engine as the celica and it went in the elise (that I see as a good thing if lotus used it)
    more practical than a celica both are cheap to buy imo, the rolla may be cheaper insurance
    the extra 50 bhp is from 5k revs, below 5k the 140 engine the celica/rolla has feels the same to drive
    the VVTL switching point can be lowered from 5k with apexi vtec controller or camcon http://www.power-enterprise.co.jp/US...con/camcon.htm
    gain low down grunt and 11 whp on top end
    I like them and been looking into swapping one into my yaris if I can get one cheaps,
    they don't seem to have the type R tax the honda engines are up for

Rides
    My nephew has a 190bhp Celica. I've only driven it round the block.

Seat feels like it is just a cushion on the floor. 200SX is low but the seat to floor height feels to be much more than Celica.
    It's dark in there, there is much less glass than a 200SX. The door capping and dash is way higher, near shoulder level.
    But I suspect the Hyundai will be the same as it's a consequence of newer impact testing laws.

The parcel shelf pivots are weak.
    Early engines can have issues with bores, these cars have a fake air scoop with Toyota logo at front of bonnet, later cars just have a badge on a smooth bonnet.
    Door seals fail at top rear corner making a whistle.

He has some odd corrosion on rear offside brake back plate. The brake shoe spring pin anchor area has rotted away. I have no idea how this location has corroded like this. Similar disc/drum rear brake to RS13 200SX.

Sliding pins on brake calipers seem to be a better design than 200SX.

Rides
    Pretty reliable cars hyundais and I like the look of the coupes. Nice looking car for little money, can't be any worse than Citroen c4

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    Tanuki on here had a t sport rolla so may get some feedback from him ?,
    used same 190 vvtl engine as the celica and it went in the elise (that I see as a good thing if lotus used it)
    more practical than a celica both are cheap to buy imo, the rolla may be cheaper insurance
    the extra 50 bhp is from 5k revs, below 5k the 140 engine the celica/rolla has feels the same to drive
    It's actually 6k, so you only have the extra power from 6-8k. It's quite an art keeping the car in 'lift' as you go through the gears, you basically have to change on the limiter every time and do it damn fast too. I had that engine swapped into my MR2 which previously had the 140bhp engine and felt it ruined the car as you had to rag the crap out of the thing 100% of the time to get the best out of it.

If I was buying a Celica I'd 100% get the 140bhp version. Just my 2p.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    my bad I read it was 5k, maybe it was 5k after the switching point was lowered with vtec controller/camcon?
    I had read that before about it takes skill to keep it on the boil,I was thinking of swapping diffs
    or use a corolla 5 speed and run it on smaller wheels, I can get a 13 on my yaris
    but tbh it is a major distraction from sorting two S bodies and I need to stop fcuking about with the stupid yaris

Rides
    Had a gen 1 interia standard was poor and cheap but its was over 20 years old, But not one mechanical issue with it. Had the 2 lt With a exhaust and a better air filter. You would not believe how much better it drove with a better filter on it the stock one is soooooooo restricted. Economy not bad either high 20s low 30s on a run. If the interia was better it would have not just been a good car but instead very good. The style is a bit Marmite though on the gen 1 and 2