Thread: Thermostatic oil cooler sandwich plate and sensor take-offs on black top SR

Rides

Thermostatic oil cooler sandwich plate and sensor take-offs on black top SR

Hi all

I'll probably get hold of an oil cooler setup at some point next year and was wondering how best to plumb it in with sensors for temp/pressure gauges.

Currently I've got a normal sandwich plate with tapped sensor ports and no oil cooler. I want to avoid using two sandwich plates, since the thermostatic oil cooler plates seem to lack any sensor ports.

Are there any holes in the head/block I could use, or does anyone have any suggestions?

Rides
    get another sandwhich plate that has cooler ports and sensor ports, I've got a thermostatic plate stacked with a normal one and they are a waste of time.
    The oil flow to the cooler is open all the time, all they do it allow a tiny amount of oil to bypass the cooler until its hot then this bypass closes.
    I still have to cover up my cooler when not on a track to get it up to temp.
    If you don't do track stuff just make sure you have some good oil that's stable to like 130+ degrees

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpbike View Post
    get another sandwhich plate that has cooler ports and sensor ports, I've got a thermostatic plate stacked with a normal one and they are a waste of time.
    The oil flow to the cooler is open all the time, all they do it allow a tiny amount of oil to bypass the cooler until its hot then this bypass closes.
    I still have to cover up my cooler when not on a track to get it up to temp.
    If you don't do track stuff just make sure you have some good oil that's stable to like 130+ degrees
    I have my sarny plates stacked. I keep the cooler covered with a piece of plastic and slide it off for track days. If I don't do this the oil stays too cold on the road. personally I don't see the issue.

Some folks run their temp/pressure sensors from the sump (have to weld on a boss or two for this or buy an AM oil pan). I prefer the two plates solution.

The other alternative is to by an inline thermostat?

Rides
    I use a remote filter setup that moves the filter to the suspension strut then on one of the lines it goes to a mocal inline thermostat then off to the cooler

The filter head has ports for pressure and temp and also makes a quick oil/filter change a lot less messy