Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Absolutely f**ked off with a former trader on here

Rides

Absolutely f**ked off with a former trader on here

So the other day my clutch started slipping badly. And I really wasn't sure why. I had it replace 3 years ago and since then have done 600 miles -Mot slips to prove- so I took it to a mate to get the clutch changed and he calls me over saying bad news,

I got to his workshop to find that the clutch which was replaced, wasn't really replaced. The clutch cover said Nissan and was charcoal. Strange seeing as I supplied a competition clutch kit which had a black plate and didn't say Nissan.

Taking off the plate revealed a competition clutch disk, but the spigot bearing had not been changed. I then looked down at the gearbox and realised the clutch release bearing had not been changed and was making so much noise it was unbelievable. I have pics and vids of this.

Now the icing on the cake. After completely removing the clutch I noticed my flywheel looked different too. And on further examination it turns out its a standard flywheel that had been skimmed. My engine was built by APT and cost £5500 this included a lightened flywheel which looked completely different from standard. The whole rotating assembly was balanced. This means thst while the clutch was being "replaced" the flywheel was also "replaced". Now because the flywheel and clutch cover plate were removed without me even knowing and replaced with shit unbalanced parts, my engine is suffering from crank walk. Meaning I have to rebuild the whole lot.

So let me break it down. The trader:

Stole my clutch cover, spigot bearing and release bearing.
    Stole my flywheel
    Destroyed my engine

Now the person who did this was a trader on here. I can't see them anymore tho.

Now the old me would have done something about this in a not so legal sort of way, but I think I'll approach this differently. I need help with tlwhat to do here.

I have receipts for the engine, I have receipts for the clutch and I have receipts for the work the trader did. I have taken photos of everything and a video of some parts too.
    How should o proceed

Rides
    Crank problems in 600 miles. Im surprised my crank hasnt walked out then in 3k since nothings been balanced.

I doubt you will get anywhere now mate 3 years is a super long time in the courts view anything could have happened. Unless you can find other people with the same types of problems

Rides
    So. Who?

Rides
    sorry to read that sort of thing goes on mate, but imo the period of time may be too long to go down legal routes as mentioned above
    but worth looking into with citizens advise if a case could be made as you have lots of evidence it seems to prove what happened on your side

regards the center main I don't honestly think he died due to the stock cover and flywheel and in only 600 miles
    there was probs something a miss there before clutch was 'Sort of replaced' by the unknown trader
    or the first clutch on that engine had a heavy cover spring clamping pressure and that had 'opened up' the thrust>crank clearance?

Rides
    can you please pm me the details of whom you are referring too

Rides
    Crank walk in 600miles due to just an unbalanced fly/clutch? I'm not sure.
    But still, having a flywheel and cover stolen is ****ing disgusting.

Rides
    I think you should name and shame, people have a right to know if a trader has been doing the dirty

Rides
    That sucks you have had such a bad time with someone you trust with your car to do things how you want and not screw it up.

Iam curious to find out if the flywheel did that but I doubt it as a flywheel change or any car would not cause it. Flywheels are balanced on there own when sold etc. Crank walk in that mileage is a build issue I would say or the spigot bearing maybe.

Either way, that is not good in the traders part. You may be in luck being that the lack of useage may play into your hands but definitely get some advice. Is the company still going? Did you give a written list of what you wanted done etc?

Rides
    OK. Now I have had time to mull over everything and im not so pissed off about it, Ill correct a few mistakes I wrote when typing my first post in blind rage.

The engine since having the clutch changed has covered 1600 miles not 600. I was there when the gearbox came off and he himself checked for crank walk with me watching. Im very aware of things like this having spent 5.5k building it, aiming for a high powered CA18 and it was all fine. He then went on to say my flywheel needed skimming so offered me his personal car to go home in and I could come and collect the following day. When I got back the following day everything was nearly back and he was just attaching the prop. I noticed on the side that there was a spigot bearing still in the box but when questioning him he told me it was another one from something else. As a trader I trusted him so left it at that.

now I have to add that my car is far from stock and I run a bit more power than most (just under 500hp) and have a 8k rev limit which it usually sees a lot. The car drove fine, and went for mapping. It was limited by the clutch which slipped when running over 1.8 bar of boost. My target boost pressure was 2.2 but meh the power was good. Funny thing was sometimes it slipped sometimes it didnt. The clutch in there before was the exact same thing, and all i wanted was the spigot and release bearings changed and the cltch disk replaced. nothing else. Im anal about it because I have had engines let go before and tried my best to keep my little CA as healthy as possible.

So between this and another trader (seperate incident) ripping me off with my paint job im really loosing the will with this car and do not really have the funds to put it right. So just like that, there goes my hobby.

Now I have a receipt showing clutch replacement and gearbox fluid change. I supplied all the parts and have receipts for this too which will tally in with the date he changed it all. Pictures of everything purchased too.
    The trader has since dissolved, but I can find him if needs be. I will try the CAB and see what they say, but from PMs and comments on this thread it already looks hopeless. Im more annoyed that someone could do this without thinking about the impact it may have. I wont name and shame just yet, Ill try to come to a resolution first.

Lesson learnt, dont leave your car with anyone. do the work yourself or watch them do it from start to finish.

Rides
    Saying they fooked your engine is a bit strong as the parts they have fitted wont cause crank walk.

Looks like you will have to take the individual to small claims court
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    I don't understand why you're not naming the trader, particularly if they've dissolved. I'm very sorry to hear your problems mate.

Rides
    Dissolved I hope they arent a limited company else you will just be wasting your 50 quid.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    I don't understand why you're not naming the trader, particularly if they've dissolved. I'm very sorry to hear your problems mate.
    Because it will turn into a massive witch hunt and at the end of the day its none of our business. They are not trading anymore so no risk to other members.
    Mark is right.

Rides
    But this is the SXOC, we love a witch hunt. I'm just thinking that if there are components MIA from the car it's not totally beyond the realms of imagination that the trader is working somewhere else.

Rides
    The club is aware of the details and if it feels the members are at risk it will take the required steps
    Mark is right.

Rides
    I would say that's a pretty big risk to be honest Mark, considering I reckon it's S-Body Automotive who are still trading and now with Falken endorsement.

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...o-Captain-Polo

Worth a conversation with them I would say user23456. He's still in business.

Rides
    he said it, not me. but i can neither confirm or deny that pinam2k is correct (make of that what you will)

I found out details already and have confirmed where this particular trader works. I will be going there shortly to have a word.

Rides
    It's nothing to do with me mate, but I can empathise with how you must be feeling given I have also had things go missing at a garage. Let us know how you get on although I suspect you won't get very far.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    So youve been running 500hp on a standard clutch cover?
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    If piman is right id be very surprised. Polo helpd me out a few times and saved me from a huge mistake.

op did you see the flywheel on the car before the clutch or was just told it was fitted

this is why I never let others mess with my car.