Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going drifting

Rides
    Definitely worth doing.

Best mod I did before going to the nurburgring, my standard worn VLSD was worn and probably would of killed me, so predictable with a welder.

And I got 3k out of my NS2 tyres including, doing the ring trip, castle combe track session, hill climb at RETRO RIDES and lots of streeto (running 435hp so not so kind on tryes at the best of times

Plus all it cost me was the cost of fresh diff oil

Rides
    I'v done about 4-5k on a pair of part worn rsr's with a welded diff, getting 1k from a pair is nonsense and they wear pretty normally too for that matter. Maybe they don't last as long but they certainly don't kill tyres overnight

I use mine for drift, track, fast road and sometimes commuting too so pretty much anything you could want to use one for, not saying a welder is refined but it's really not that bad aside from parking and very low speed manouvres which you soon get used to

Rides
    We must have worse roads then as they didn't wear out they were torn and sliced with chunks of rubber pulled out and multiple cuts down to the cords

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    We must have worse roads then as they didn't wear out they were torn and sliced with chunks of rubber pulled out and multiple cuts down to the cords
    Welded diff do NOT do this, driving like a knob will though. I daily'd my s14 for over a year with a welder, tyres wore evenly and only quicker due to it being easier to get the arse out. I know countless people who have and still do daily with welders, and none of them have had the issues your mate had...

Rides
    Well thats good to no chaps. i am buying a welded diff and keeping my 1 standard just incase i dont like it thought i would play it safe i have been told so many horror stories and good stories its tuff to make mind up at least this way i cant go to wrong and with the 18th round the corner at least i have the option o watched a couple of vids how to swap a diff i think as a novice this could be a good stepping stone to grow some balls lol

Rides
    I believe a 14mm flare nut spanner is required? Or a ground down 14mm spanner to get access to the nuts that connect the prop to the diff.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mcleansc View Post
    I believe a 14mm flare nut spanner is required? Or a ground down 14mm spanner to get access to the nuts that connect the prop to the diff.
    Will look into that cheers

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mcleansc View Post
    Yup, just grind one of your old ring spanners down.

Rides
    I've always just used a good quality open ended spanner. Changed the diff on mine countless times and never had an issue.

Rides
    I had a welded diff on my old S12 which was my daily driver. Hardly drifted it though as i bought it like that, just the odd arse end out moment on a corner when the moment took me. 😜
    As for tyre wear, mine went over a year with what id call a normal wear rate on both rears. Few things to consider with a welded diff, parking is a pain in the arse, and wet motorways can be surprisingly terrifying. 😂

Rides
    Yeah i now that now mate lol