Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: CrazySx s14a project.

Rides
    Ok so little update from me today. I spent most of the weekend sorting my garage out so that I could find my tools easily and make my life easier.

So after doing that, I spent about an hr tonight cutting back some more of the outer sill.

The metal to the right was actually in good nick

But the bit on the left (toward the back) was a bit soft and rusty.

It has some sealant stuff on it which clearly worked

Took another shot inside the sill and it don't look too bad. Will try clean what I can and shoot some electrox down there followed by dynax.

Then made a template to patch up the first inner sill skin.

Then I used my metal folder for the first time. They were right, doesn't really make a clean crease, more of a curve, but it will do me I suppose.
    Shaped up and mocked up.

Needs a little more shaping and trimming. Then time to make the next skin. Think I will make all the patch up panels before welding anything. Well that's the plan unless someone tells me otherwise.

Also what to do about this? Is the second inner sill skin welded to the outer sill?

I got a bit trigger happy with the grinder. Not sure i would be able to weld that line up?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CrazySx; 08-05-2016 at 20:39.

Rides
    Need some help! I removed the rear seats today and the trim from the quarter panel. How much of the stuff inside needs to be moved out of the way? I don't want to burn anything when welding up, but not sure how hot it will get.

Arch looks good

Rides
    Learned some new skill this weekend.

Sandblasting

Fabrication

Welding attempt no.1- bird droppings

Attempt no. 2 - burn through and ruined the tip

Attempt no. 3 - got the setting right:

Then a butt weld:

Super excited now.. gonna hit the car next week yay!

Rides
    Coming along nicely. If I had the space I would have made a lot of use of a compressor, particularly for sand blasting. What size compressor are you using - is it up to the job. I've read sand blasting needs a lot of air otherwise it's frequent breaks to recharge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    Coming along nicely. If I had the space I would have made a lot of use of a compressor, particularly for sand blasting. What size compressor are you using - is it up to the job. I've read sand blasting needs a lot of air otherwise it's frequent breaks to recharge.

Hey Alec, thanks. I always wanted to have my own gear and the 200 was the perfect reason to get it all.

I only have a baby compressor 50l but it's got twin pumps so is charged in just over a minute and has 14.5cfm however sandblasting would have a lot more impact with a bigger one.

It's a horrible messy job though. I am using glass media and it gets everywhere. Had some in my eye yesterday, not pleasant

Rides
    Glass media is what the blasting firm used on the parts I took to them. It does leave a great surface to paint.
    Keep up the good work

Rides
    Little update. Boomerang welded up and primed with electrox and seam sealed with PU sealer

Welded inner bit of the sill too. This was my first time welding on a car so forgive my welds lol!

Template metal formed:

Welded up

Last edited by CrazySx; 29-05-2016 at 17:28.

Rides
    Coming along nicely.

Rides
    Ok so today I cut out more of the outer sill.

The was looking at the surface rust in the existing sill

Swept out all the glass media, and got out as much rust as possible.

Then hydrate 80

Then electrox

All the cruddy bit that was at the front has been cut out

Rides
    Then I proceeded to fix the bit I accidently cut.

With that welded up, made up my new panel

Then welded and ground back

Then electrox

Rides
    Outer sill to go but I am sh1tting it a little as my welding isn't great. Once that is done then that's that side sown up and onto the next side

I only have 2 days left on the car then building work starts have to move the car and can't really work on it.

Maybe if I take a day of work I can get it all done. But I doubt it. It's taken me 3 full days to do what I have done so far. @ approx 6-9 hours a time.

Rides
    Oh yeah I almost forgot I found a scab further up the car.

Wire wheeled

Hydrate 80

Electrox

Rides
    Excellent progress mate, I hope you're not delayed too much in getting the other side sorted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rides
    I think I have managed to swing Thursday and Friday off so maybe ok

Rides
    The other side 'should' be quicker as this side was a bit of a learning curve and I have the templates to re-use

Rides
    I'm liking this thread mate, It's encouraging me to learn how to do it all as well

Rides
    Hi Jack,

Thank you. It's nice to know that I am motivating others.

Nothing comes easy, but you just have to have the determination and commitment.

Once you reach a certain point there is no turning back. Either the job is finished or the car is scrap lol!

I strive for perfection. Looking at Petes rebuild I learned a lot. I know mine ain't a scratch on his, but I am trying to achieve the best I can.

Also have others to thank for the motivation and help, such as spiceweasle, polofour and Mantachris as well as others on this club FTW!

Last edited by CrazySx; 01-06-2016 at 15:28.

Rides
    Its looking good buddy! Your sills seem to be in great shape you lucky sod!

Top tip to get all the glass media and grinder dust out of hard to reach places, get some garden hose pipe and tape it to the end of a hoover nozzle, means you can poke the hose right along the inside of cavities and hoover up all the rubbish that will cause water to nucleate.

Its a really good photo of the mid sill bracket in position, has made me think more about how to reattach mine properly.

Have you tried the pulse welding thing I was on about? I will try and do a video for you today. also on the outer skin I went for putting the new skin under (inside) the old skin and welding along the edge, once its flattened back the shape can be reformed with body filler before paint.

EDIT: It took me a while to find this one, I was looking in the build threads!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Polofour View Post
    Its looking good buddy! Your sills seem to be in great shape you lucky sod!

Top tip to get all the glass media and grinder dust out of hard to reach places, get some garden hose pipe and tape it to the end of a hoover nozzle, means you can poke the hose right along the inside of cavities and hoover up all the rubbish that will cause water to nucleate.

Its a really good photo of the mid sill bracket in position, has made me think more about how to reattach mine properly.

Have you tried the pulse welding thing I was on about? I will try and do a video for you today. also on the outer skin I went for putting the new skin under (inside) the old skin and welding along the edge, once its flattened back the shape can be reformed with body filler before paint.

EDIT: It took me a while to find this one, I was looking in the build threads!!
    Hey Man,

Thanks for the hoover tip! Will defo use it in the other side. Although I am planning to cut more on the other side so I don't have pitted metal. Putted metal is a b45tard to weld!!!

Yes I tried pulse welding. My issue is that I am outside and all my gas is getting blown away so my welds come out like bird poo! I am going try and put a gazebo around the car. Something to stop the wind!

Good idea about the underlap. But if I can help it i don't want to filler over it. I have cut it so that it sit under the skirt. So ideally I would be welding grinding, electrox then maybe PU sealant it the welds are crap, then a good quality stone chip. Of I had more time I would have epoxy primed and given its a colour top coat. But time is what I don't have!

Plus epoxy is bloody expensive lol

Rides
    Look forward to your video