Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half Cages

Rides

Half Cages

Thinking about pulling out the rear seats in favour of a half cage, not keen on a full cage as it still used on the road. Not keen on full cages due to the no helmet, big hard bar situation.

Where's the best place to go to, just a basic half cage with a harness bar, and photos would be appreciated

Rides
    Fabricage, Pete's a top guy and his bolt in cages are second to none.

Rides
    cheers mate, I've sent him an e-mail, prob be after xmas now but looking into a small list of wanted stuff for next year

Rides
    The way I look at it is, why would you protect the part of the car that you don't sit in?

This is what roll cage padding is for bud

Rides
    Even with padding though your head still hits it. A half cage supports the area around the drivers survival zone and is a lot better than no cage at all but without the downsides of a full cage for a car regularly road driven IMO.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    I disagree with that Scottie. It's not protecting the drivers area at all. The driver sits forward of the B Pillar hoop on any cage. It's full cage or pointless in my opinion.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    I disagree with that Scottie. It's not protecting the drivers area at all. The driver sits forward of the B Pillar hoop on any cage. It's full cage or pointless in my opinion.
    to say its pointless is somewhat simplifying it.

Its basically a roll bar instead of a "cage".

It has to be better than nothing as its physical presence will prevent the roof from caving in where the bar is located. This can only be a good thing even if your head is not directly beneath it. But obviously a full cage will provide better protection. As would helmet, harness, hans device, race suit.......
    Last edited by 59bhp; 26-10-2015 at 18:23.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamz View Post
    Fabricage, Pete's a top guy and his bolt in cages are second to none.
    I concur. I have a 6 point Fabricage and the fit is very good. Obviously a full chocolate bar is better than half but that's not what you asked. Fabricage can make a dash-dodger with removable door bars though.

Rides
    Will stiffen up the rear end massively and give you somewhere to anchor your harnesses.

I don't see that as being pointless...

Rides
    I had an apex cage before and I was quite aware I had a sharp metal clamp in front of my head. It's really for harnesses, and if the car was to roll over the main hoop would stop it caving to an extent. Totally agree a full cage is safer on track, but I really wouldn't like to hit my head on one, even in a small bump.

Rides
    I'm obviously in the minority here then, but I still maintain that you should have the frontal section fitted if you want to be actually safe.

Rides
    I've seen a couple of cars that have rolled multiple times with a half cage, and thank god they had them fitted. They kept a survival zone around the drivers head area that would not have existed otherwise.

Yes a full cage is better in a track scenario, but not all people want those compromises.

If a half cage was pointless you wouldn't have Porsche fitting them into the GT3RS etc, and as Ben says it stiffens the car and has other benefits, with none of the downsides of a full cage.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    If my car was just road focused I would have fitted a half cage, they do help in a roll over so saying they're pointless is totally wrong.

Rides
    the B posts are massive though.
    depends on what you use the car for. don't think I would be concerned with needing a cage on a mildly fast road car.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    the B posts are massive though.
    depends on what you use the car for. don't think I would be concerned with needing a cage on a mildly fast road car.
    It is only a mildly fast road car but I'd like a roll bar and harnesses. I watched a video on you tube a few years ago and it's always stuck in my head, an s14 went off track and hit a mound of dirt sitting at the side of the track, it flipped and landed on its roof.

The impact wasn't big but the roof was on the headrests. I don't fancy it, my son likes to come to the track as well so anything I can do to make it safer I'd say is a good thing.

Rides
    Theory is that if the car rolled the half cage and the front of the car would be in contact with the ground, giving a safe area in the middle where the driver would be sitting. They where actually use a lot in Motorsport back in the day.

For close drifting etc obviously a full cage is nice to have, for flat out track work in a car you don't drive on the streets it is too, but as a good compromise between safety on the road and track I'd say it was a very worthwhile thing to fit personally!

Rides
    The roofs on s14's are flimsy as ****, I've seen a few roll, and even the very gentle roll overs crushed the roof a bit! There are still race events around the world that allow you to race with a half cage(some plus door bars) so if they're good enough for that I'd say they're fine for a fast road car that goes on track now and then.

Rides
    Okay

I'm definitely in the minority, but I'm really not understanding the thought pattern behind not needing a full cage because it's only used for fast road. This isn't just the OP's car, it's any car.

A roll is a roll. I get that you think half cages are up the job, that's fine. But why would a roll on a track be any different than a roll on a road? I would actually argue that a roll at 80 on the road would be worse than a roll at 100 on a track given the street furniture and surroundings.
    Last edited by piman2k; 29-10-2015 at 16:26.

Rides
    On a track you have a helmet on, on the road you don't, putting a full cage in would give you less room for movement without hitting anything and the first thing your head will hit will be a steel bar.

There's no doubt a cage would make the car a safer place to be on track I really do feel the lack of helmet is the issue on the road with a full cage.

I'm no professional though, just my thought on it.

Rides
    i have a half cage in mine. the argument is that yes although a full cage will be safer, in a car used day to day on the roads a full cage with door bars and so on is just not practical. a half cage is a decent compromise.