Thread: What's the catch? (Jaguar XF SV8)

Rides

What's the catch? (Jaguar XF SV8)

Am I being naive, or is this a tonne of car for £13.5K?

67,129 miles - 4.2L Petrol

Performance
    Engine power - 410 bhp
    Engine size - 4196 cc
    Acceleration (0-60mph) - 5.1 seconds
    Top speed - 155 mph
    Wheel drive - Rear Wheel Drive

Advert Link

What's the catch? The same reason you don't buy used AMG Mercs?

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Doctor Bob had one, as far as I could tell there is no catch. They are gorgeous.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    The infotainment system is pretty horrid but otherwise they are great. The engine is an absolute peach, I prefer it to the S/C one - it sounds awesome and is completely usable.

For a big old barge they don't handle too badly either.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    The infotainment system is pretty horrid but otherwise they are great. The engine is an absolute peach, I prefer it to the S/C one - it sounds awesome and is completely usable.

For a big old barge they don't handle too badly either.
    The 4.2 in the SV8 is supercharged!

Rides
    Beg pardon, I thought I was looking at the 5.0 NA. Which is a masterpiece.

The older 4.2 had a few niggles I think but was a better unit than the one that preceded.

Rides
    I really like these, I'm trying to convince the Mrs that we should swap the Chrysler for an XFR-S Sportbrake...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    I really like these, I'm trying to convince the Mrs that we should swap the Chrysler for an XFR-S Sportbrake...
    You should, they're immense

Alex, AFAIK there were problems with the coolant hoses on those that could cause expensive failures - not sure what though, memore is a bit hazy!
    Other than that, lovely place to be, actually pretty reliable by all accounts IITC. Don't forget it's the non sporty range topper of the car that is often cited as being responsible for reviving Jag.
    They're lovely places to be - isolate you very well from your surroundings so little sense of speed, but who cares, that's not what a Jag is about.
    Utter bargains, because they're big Jags, which depreciate like stones!

Rides
    I suppose why 650s e92s, amgs, e60's etc are all ridiculously cheap for cars that only a few years ago were 50-60k +

People are terrified of big repair bills, electrical failures are pretty scary to me, hence why I hate new cars.

Don't get me wrong, their all pretty reliable, but like other premium cars, there are some big bills that can easily occur at any time...

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    Beg pardon, I thought I was looking at the 5.0 NA. Which is a masterpiece.
    Same here, that could be why the 4.2 is a bit cheaper than it might be. Definitely worth a look, XFR is awesome too.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    That one pictured is one of the first, you can tell by the mirrors, there was a minor update for the second year of production.

The auto box in early ones was a little annoying iirc, wouldn't let you hold at the limiter. And the sv8 wasn't quite as racey as the R.

4.2 V8s had been used in previous Jags, they brought in the 5.0 from 2009 iirc. I had a 3.0v6 and 2 5.0 na v8s. Minor niggles with the first two when new, a few really silly things, ironed out by the time I got the third. They were all just lush. I suspect I will be having another at some point.

It's a tonne of car for the money, you're right. Mechanicals wise it's all pretty well tried and tested from the Stype before. I would
    power-crazed Head-Mod

Rides
    Don't think you'll find a comfier car. The old man had a couple as courtesy cars when his xkr went in for services etc

Rides
    Ive just bought a XF 4.2 V8 n/a and yes, there is no catch! They are a fecking TON of car for the money!!!! I almost wish I'd stretched to an SV8 but to be honest, 300bhp is enough, and mine has enough extras to feel amazing anyways

I would like to shake the hands of the team who developed the suspension. How they managed to get such a heavy car, to drive so softly, so lightly and precisely, and still be FUN, is beyond me. It's something that BMW still havent figgured out how to do yet

Rides
    My uncle has an XF sport 380bhp IIRC. It's amazing. Interior is such a nice place to be. His has the optional extra stereo and it is incredible.