Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What daily should I get?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    This is some of the worst advice I've ever read on the whole internet.
    The internet is a dangerous place to seek advice on what car to buy..

Rides
    Pmsl. Actually Yeh, they're shit.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    The internet is a dangerous place to seek advice on what car to buy..
    chuckles.

Rides
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm spoilt for choice now. would rather not put anything on finance as im trying to save money by getting a daily.

Rides
    Plus if you get a diesel mazda 3 with dpf ready to go will cost you a fortune. That's why people sell them cheap.

I put a bit extra in and got an astra 1.9cdti and does normally over 50mpg and has a bit of power for fun in the sri 150.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dukey View Post
    Plus if you get a diesel mazda 3 with dpf ready to go will cost you a fortune. That's why people sell them cheap.

I put a bit extra in and got an astra 1.9cdti and does normally over 50mpg and has a bit of power for fun in the sri 150.
    The astras are good, but i would recommend the vectras as they can be had cheaper and have the same engines inside too. Mine does over 600 miles to a tank and around 50mpg combined

Rides
    The vauxhalls love to shred the dual mass flywheel. Done quite a few of them at work. But any car has its ups n downs. I would avoid a modern diesel with a dpf unless you do a lot of motorway driving. Town driving just buggers them up.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nattman View Post
    The vauxhalls love to shred the dual mass flywheel. Done quite a few of them at work. But any car has its ups n downs. I would avoid a modern diesel with a dpf unless you do a lot of motorway driving. Town driving just buggers them up.
    Yea was a common fault, especially the ones with the m32 gearbox, my vectra is a 05 plate with the older d40 gearbox which seems much stronger, mines on 168k now on original clutch and flywheel and no sign of failure yet, if it does its getting scrapped lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Janus View Post
    This
    It is happens I have a puma for sale.

Rides
    I hate to say it but Vectra. I picked up a mint 35k 07 plate for 2.4k. So 1k should easy buy you an ok one. Mine is the petrol and easy does 45mpg with a massive boot. With seats folded down I can fit to big DH bikes in with only front wheels off.

I do hate it quite alot, apart from the size. It is terrible rubbish, but does what I need it to.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nattman View Post
    I would avoid a modern diesel with a dpf
    I would avoid all modern diesels unless it has less than 50k on the clock

DMFs, Turbos, EGRs, Injectors, Fuel Pumps, they all eat at least one within 60-100k so as a cheap daily they are not a wise choice, better to get the petrol equiv and suffer the lower mpg IMO.

Mk3 Mondeo 2.0 Estate, will do 30-35mpg all day long and its a Mazda lump so wont go wrong You will probably get a 55 plate for £1k.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    I intend to run my 530d (165000 miles and still original) into the ground then go petrol. Seems diesel cars are loosing favour and will in the future be taxed more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    I'm after a daily too and was going to get a diesel Fiesta or maybe a C2 but Marks comments on DMFs, Turbos, EGRs, Injectors, Fuel Pumps has put me off!

Maybe a 106 diesel?

Rides
    If you absolutely 'must' go diesel then go old school, late 90's early noughties ( if thats even a word &#128514
    Mk1 focus diesel, early vw/seat diesels that sort of thing. Yeh ok they might leak a bit and rattle a bit but they'd definitely put up with more abuse than modern diseasels. I had a W reg Seat Leon tdi (PD engine) that had 250k + miles on it and i abused it on a daily basis, fecking thing just kept on going and still pulled like a train.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

DMFs, Turbos, EGRs, Injectors, Fuel Pumps, they all eat at least one within 60-100k so as a cheap daily they are not a wise choice, better to get the petrol equiv and suffer the lower mpg IMO.

Mk3 Mondeo 2.0 Estate, will do 30-35mpg all day long and its a Mazda lump so wont go wrong You will probably get a 55 plate for £1k.
    You forgot swirl flaps.

Rides
    Get a 306 hdi, cheap and cheerful and ultra reliable. And with a cheap remap 50+ to the gallon and 125bhp!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Some good points. Sounds like I would be better off getting a petrol and living with slightly less MPG. Too many cars to choose from though! I shall take a look an see what 2.0 mondaos I can find up for sale.

Rides
    I used to think a lpg car would be a good idea until I bought a written off l200 v6 with fire damage. The whole system is still live even with the ignition off .
    absolutley no way to stop gas coming out when the pipes broken, no manual valve on the tank or anything! To be honest its put me right off lpg.
    Last edited by kxruss; 14-09-2015 at 16:56.