Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Unexpected reaction.

Rides
    So by your standards skyshack what category does my e36 coupe fall under?

Rides
    he would have to measure it first ..... you cant decide if a car is aesthetically pleasing or a performance car before measuring it ... its not enough to look at it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    And anyway, Im just trying to highlight a point, that if youre only looking at one element a 200 (or a 350Z, or a 135i) can compete with stuff a lot pricier but not if you take the whole package.
    Yep, it's often said that it's not hard to make a car, even a 200sx, have the performance of something far more exotic, but those exotic owning people are not just buying performance, they are also buying an ownership experience, everything from the looks/engine type/image/racing heritage/style/interior etc etc.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    The great thing about changing a car is that you can do what you like to it to make it suit. I guess the real argument is, what do you want? If you want something that is a good car and has a "good image" then you wouldn't end up in a 200. If you didn't care so much about the image aspect of it then in reality, you could make a 200SX (or any other car realistically) whatever you wanted.

Doc's arguments RE: the M4 against his 135i stem as much from image as the capability of the car.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornyan View Post
    So by your standards skyshack what category does my e36 coupe fall under?
    Old and smelly?

Ok might not be smelly, do you have one of those wee trees hanging from the mirror?

Rides
    No no far more sophisticated, I have a febreeze air vent thingy

Rides
    I hate air fresheners - disgusting chemical smell that just tries to cover up the stench of old and decay. ... Its a bit like old women; first you get the chemical stench of Lavender, then comes the underlying whiff of piss and death ...... without it they just smell of piss and death

cars with mountain fresh trees in them ... they smell of fake chemical mountains and death

Rides
    Piss and Death, that must be a new fragrance waiting to be developed.

You too can smell like a bag lady/e36 ..

My S14 smelled of unburnt petrol usually.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    The great thing about changing a car is that you can do what you like to it to make it suit.
    Only one letter from being one of the most enlightening posts on this thread.

Rides
    Hmm piss and death sounds tasty...e36 smells more like stale fags atm, haven't hoovered it in ages and ash always ends up in the back...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Only one letter from being one of the most enlightening posts on this thread.
    Shit can suit. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Doc's arguments RE: the M4 against his 135i stem as much from image as the capability of the car.
    And the interior design, the ICE + Nav, the way it looks but also the resale value
    Youre right though, the same way that Ill,lust after an M2 when it comes out despite it likely being very similar to what Im already driving. Id guess the M4 would be marginally better on track as well, Ill let you know when I find out

TBF though its obvious that the newer a car, the easier its going to be to get it close to the cutting edge, youll remember many a thread of me banging on about how a 350 is dynamically a generation ahead of the 200SX, my 1er is a generation on from the 350 and arguably 1/2 a generation back from the M4.

Could you make a 200SX do what an M4 can? Probably, but it would take a LOT of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    I think if you aim to make car A like car B then you're wasting your time. Just buy car B On the other hand, if you're trying to make something unique / to suit your tastes then that is something else.

Rides
    I think if you aim to make car A like car B then you're wasting your time. Just buy car B On the other hand, if you're trying to make something unique / to suit your tastes then that is something else.
    But if car A is 5k and car B is 40k, then even if it costs you 10k to get car A close to car B it represents good value, as car A will probably then be worth 10k over the time period car B depreciates to 30k.

So sometimes there are financial reasons to factor in as well But as you said the best part is being able to tailor the car to your personal preferences.

What i have learnt from owning a Prodrive car in the past, is that sometimes there really is no substitute from having a car designed and setup by world class experts, which is were Porsche excels.

Rides
    But invariably it won't be close. That's the point Doc is making. It might be close to the performance, but won't have any of the gizmos and likely won't be as nice to live with as the other car. Alternatively it might be a lovely place to sit but won't have the performance or handling etc. You think about how much stuff costs an OEM to put in a car versus some guy on the street... You want to build your own M4, to cover all the same bases that such a car does, it will cost you at least as much as the M4, most likely more.

You might be able to match one or two attributes of the other car for "cheap" but never the whole package for the same money.

Rides
    Yes, sometimes if you don't have the money though, the best option, or only option, is to buy car A and then increase the attributes you want.

I guess the best bet is to wait till these cars depreciate to the price range you can afford, as I agree if you can get a car that does what you want as standard that is always a great option.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    I guess the best bet is to wait till these cars depreciate to the price range you can afford, as I agree if you can get a car that does what you want as standard that is always a great option.
    The problem is that by the time you have done that, car C has been released and you start all over again

I think the other thing is that since I first bought a 200SX 15 odd years ago .... shit Im old* ..... cars in general have got better, much better.
    I had a Golf GTI as a hire car the other day and it was bloody superb, fast, handled well, lovely inside, practical etc. etc - Id have never have swapped a 200 for a 2001 GTI but no-one would blame you now.
    Likewise, in 2001 an E220 Merc was an old man looking thing with 125hp and 150nm, its now a sexy bastard with 200hp and 500 lb/ft. Why suffer 15mpg and a deafening exhaust when you could have that instead?

I love 200's, I really do but as time goes on, relative to everything else they become more compromised. But then again, thats the doorway to becoming a "classic", E Types, TR6's and the like can hardly be described as good daily drivers
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    It's all fun building a car, and people always say "it only cost xyz" but you've got to think, to take an s13-14 to be on par you've got 5k purchase price, 3k on swapping in a 6 cyl, least a couple grand on suspension, then brakes a couple grand on top, before you know it you've spent 10-15k on the sbody to have car as quick and handle a touch better.

Then you've got to try and get it as nice inside, which is plenty of time and money, then you've got a 20k sbody that's worth 7k resale.

Rides
    Building an enjoyable car with resale value in mind seems(is)a bad idea...

Rides
    As the yokel said "If I wanted to get there, I wouldn't start from here !"

I bought the S13 because I liked it. An M3/M4/whatever is probably better handling, faster, comfier, quieter etc. but TBF, I don't give a f*ck !

I modify it to improve it i.e. make it more like what I want it to be NOT more like an M3/M4/whatever.

If I wanted something faster, more exciting, better handling, better looking and cheaper than an M3/M4/whatever, I'd buy an Aprilia RSV4R..............Oh, I already did

Basically, what I recommend is that you buy what you want (and tweak it to be more like what you want if you wish).

Don't buy something because it is cheap then try to turn it into what you wanted in the first place. That is going to be expensive, frustrating and, ultimately, full of fail.