Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Unexpected reaction.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    You really need to drive a car made in, ooooh, the last 15 years

Don't get me wrong, I adored my 200s, but like a modern car they most certainly aren't! They are very much 90's Japanese, and I love them for it. I think they're great cars, I'm just not so blinkered that I think they're the best car ever.
    I bloody love my RX7 even more, but I could very quickly reel odd a list of cars under the value of the total I've spent on it that I would consider swapping it for. And it's likely very few of them would be as fast, or as good looking to me.

And this whole 'x' country/region/colour/brand/wheel drive/aspiration/ is bollocks thing is massively cringeworthy, it belongs back in primary school.

Viper ACR (American cars can't go round corners)
    DC2 (FWD is shit)
    McLaren 650s (British Sportcars fall apart all the time)
    Clio V6 (All French cars are rubbish)
    CLK DTM (Stupid german repmobiles)
    E30 M3 Evo (BMWs are rubbish)
    S1 Quattro (Audis are just lane hogging repmobiles)
    NSX (Hondas are crap FWD cars for old people)

etc etc...
    Ahem.. mine just turned 15 this year. It's a 2000 so a naughties motor not 90s. I think the s13 is way more dated than the 14a.

For the money, I wouldn't have anything else. Unless someone can make a sensible suggestion lol!

Yes there are more modern cars but 9/10 times they are heavy and slow!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    350z, e46 m3, any sort of.porsche, audi s4/rs4, but any modern amg merc, 135i, mx5, focus st, vauxhall monaro....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornyan View Post
    Mark I have a 328

A few different points to go over here, first off some people think German cars are soulless, whilst other people can say "jap crap" it's all down to personal preference. No one is better than the other.

You can say "Ive had far less problems than new cars" but look at it like this, most 200s are what? 16-25 years old now. So by those standards, most are well above 100k mileage and "Most" will need major work.

By this point in time major work will include. Welding and rust repairs, new dampers and springs, new suspension arms, new subframe bushes, new exhausts, new brakes/Calipers/lines, engine work/rebuild, Bodywork, interior repairs/upgrade/wheels/fuel systems/all rubber hoses and connections/cooling systems.

The list can be endless, not to mention the majority of parts for s13s are no longer available from Nissan, and those remaining parts are ridiculously priced.

You can say "oh well a new 335i has hpfp issues" yea...one thing to replace.regardless reliability and the need to completely rebuild and entire car during its life are 2 different things.

200s have that feel to them, I agree, I miss driving my s13, but then I've driven multiple other cars (skylines surpas etc) that had even more ball grabbingNess and fear factor.

Hell a friend of mine recently got an e39 m5 with a supercharger attached, it was pushing 700bhp and scared the living shit out of me.

And auz200sx say that to doc, I'm pretty sure his 135i would destroy a lot of cars on here, as would marks focus st and other members cars
    Good for them Its still german and its still shit imho couldnt careless if it faster same goes for the Ford.

Rides
    So all German cars are shit? News to me.

I went from my 14a to an r32, rx7 and s15 r. I now drive around in a 62 plate merc c250cdi coupe, had a map on it and it's 265bhp and 400+ torque. Yes it's not as fast in a straight line as my 32, 7 or 15 but It's still fast and faster than most.

And the vast magority of people don't judge a car on how fast it is..... I love 200's and at some point will own another, but only as a second car. For me a modern car cannot be beaten. Yes yours may be fast but I'm still doing 50+ mpg. when above 100mph in my climate controlled, fully loaded, comfy as **** car.

I don't really understand the stigma attached with 200's and other cars because I'm a petrol head and love jap cars. But your average joe will probably look at a middle age man in a 20 year old load as **** Nissan and think "grow up you twat"
    Last edited by chrisyboi s14; 02-08-2015 at 09:36.

Rides
    350z heavy - not that quick, ridiculous on road tax, not particularly good looking
    e46 m3 - heavy and slow,
    any sort of.porsche - not for 14a money, not a good one anyway and expensive to maintain
    audi s4/rs4 again not for 14a money, but any modern
    amg merc - grandad car,
    135i - not for 14a money,
    mx5 - I have an MR2, miles better,
    focus st - slow, and looks dated
    vauxhall monaro ridiculous on juice and expensive to run....
    All in my opinion of course. I think I just love the 14a too much. Love the individuality of it. The MR2 Roadster is much the same

Rides
    You said they are all slow, yet they have been proven to be quicker on track than 400bhp sbodys. Docs 350z anniliated several big power sbodys on track days, because newer cars have far better chassis/suspension designs.

Take the new m4, the chassis is so well designed and stiff, that it's stiffer than an e46 m3 gtr race car with a roll cage.

So your saying that new cars, with huge amounts more power, better chassis/handling, more creature comforts, better ride quality and interior. Are worse.....

Im a car enthusiast, not a blind man.

Rides
    The whole "it's German it's shit is a bit childish imo, when I used to jack up my s13 on a corner, the doors and boot didn't line up as the chassis twisted that much, also evident on my friends ps13 until he had a roll cage put in.

Funnily enough don't have that problem on my e36....

Rides
    The whole "it's German it's shit is a bit childish imo, when I used to jack up my s13 on a corner, the doors and boot didn't line up as the chassis twisted that much, also evident on my friends ps13 until he had a roll cage put in.

Funnily enough don't have that problem on my e36....
    Its just my opinion dont take it to heart.

Plus who the **** wants to grow up anyway its so overated

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisyboi s14 View Post
    So all German cars are shit? News to me.

I went from my 14a to an r32, rx7 and s15 r. I now drive around in a 62 plate merc c250cdi coupe, had a map on it and it's 265bhp and 400+ torque. Yes it's not as fast in a straight line as my 32, 7 or 15 but It's still fast and faster than most.

And the vast magority of people don't judge a car on how fast it is..... I love 200's and at some point will own another, but only as a second car. For me a modern car cannot be beaten. Yes yours may be fast but I'm still doing 50+ mpg. when above 100mph in my climate controlled, fully loaded, comfy as **** car.

I don't really understand the stigma attached with 200's and other cars because I'm a petrol head and love jap cars. But your average joe will probably look at a middle age man in a 20 year old load as **** Nissan and think "grow up you twat"
    As above

Rides
    I just think refined cars bore me. I like a bit of rattle and shake lol and something to do. I had a yaris t sport and it never missed a beat. All I ever did on it was the brakes and some bodywork.

It was so reliable it bored me to death so I got the MR2.

Horses for courses I guess.

Rides
    I can understand that, I used to enjoy always having something to do on the car. It was great. But now I have a busier life style, and it's nice that if I want jobs to do, I can (like my recent coilovers) but none of it "needs" work as such. I've not touched it in a couple months, and haven't had to worry about what's going to go wrong next!

Rides
    Shouldn't someone make a "I hate German cars" thread or "what's better than a 200 for the money" thread?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    Ahem.. mine just turned 15 this year. It's a 2000 so a naughties motor not 90s. I think the s13 is way more dated than the 14a.

Your car was still developed and released in 1994. Based on a chassis modified from 1989. Which means it was probably designed by 1987/8.

Rides
    I've never had problems with kids.

I have been approached on a supermarket car park with offers to buy.
    Chased home with offer to buy.
    Found notes (twice) under the wiper.

Quote Originally Posted by auz200sx View Post
    I remember my old man saying he would never buy a Datsun. He loves my Skyline thinks the 200SX is tidy and secretly jelouse of the 260Z.
    Back when it was Datsun there was still a huge amount of bad feeling towards Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide
    I can't think of a modern car sub 8k that would even compete against even a 1a sx in terms of speed and fun.
    350Z, Focus ST, Astra VXR, Boxster S, Audi TT 3.2, E46 M3, Evo 8, etc etc
    Ignoring the RWD/FWD thing. They can clearly deliver speed and fun but simple fact is none of those are a 2+2 sports coupé so you have to lose something. Back seats or low sleek style of a SPORTS coupé, make your choice.

RS13 is as low as the Boxster or 350Z but has back seats and luggage space. It's 4" lower than Focus, Astra, E46, Evo, Murano etc. The TT fails on both counts, back seats are a joke and it is 3" taller than the sports cars.

I've had a 16 stone guy in the back seat on my SX and he said it was a Tardis.
    With a lap belt from a Sunny in the middle it can fit 3 teens in the back.
    Gave 2 guys from work a lift. The one in the back has a TT and thought he also had a 2+2 so tried to get his aunt in the back. Had to admit it wasn't possible.

Quote Originally Posted by -ghost-
    I think my misses old 5.0 range rover was the best one for giving people surprises
    Watched a Range Rover in my mirror Friday morning lurch over the white line into the path of oncoming vehicles as it tried to match my exit from a DC. The exit has short slip roads and is a 90 degree turn into a 2 way road, about 20m rad, the Range Rover needed 25m. Only other thing I've seen mess up that exit so bad is a Vauxhall Astra, yeah he was trying as well.

Rides
    But 90% of sbodys don't even have back seats anymore...and I personally think sitting an adult in the back of an sbody is bloody cruelty.

The s13 may appear to be lower. But bog standard they look like 4x4s with enough arch gap to live in, where as a 350z/me may be higher in terms of floodplan, they are significantly better in that they look lower.

Rides
    Anyway.. Let's get back on subject. I forgot to say both old and young people appreciate the beauty of my car.

The old man at the paint shop once said "lovely car isn't it" he must be knocking on 70. I was touched. At the same time my nephews who are between 3 and 10 also love it!

Through the window at the paint shop.
    LE Went. For anyone who knows it

Rides
    I've had a couple of offers on mine in the car park, once in a petrol station. The chap asked me if I wanted to sell, I said no, and he said 'You sure? I'll give you 5 grand right now'

I did have a complement from a BMW driver in Halfords as well, I think he was looking to run out his E46 against an S14.

Rides
    I like my S13 because
    - it has a punchy engine
    - it handles pretty well
    - it looks nice (to me)
    - it has pop-up headlights
    - its a versatile load carrier
    - its comfortable
    - its simple enough to work on
    - it doesn't have a load of driver aids that detract from the driving experience (unless you count the ABS )
    - its reliable (never left me stranded in 17 years)
    - its been cheap to run and depreciation has been less than 400 pounds per year

When I think about what modern cars tick those boxes, I find...

- Toybaru GT86/BRZ - but impractical backseats and a rubbish manual gearbox
    - BMW 135i - but not a coupe, heavier and just looks like a Eurobox
    - XKR - but heavier, not easy to work on and electrically complex
    - Ford Mustang - Available when ?
    - ...errrmmmm....

I'm not saying other cars are shit. I'm just telling you why I still own an S13.

I always keep 3 cars and one or two motorbikes and change them fairly regularly. The S13 has never risen to the top of the sell list because it ticks the above boxes.

Rides
    I would swap my S14 for a BRZ/GT86 in a heartbeat...........if it had 100hp more. And that's not for bragging, I know they are fantastic fun but you've got to be up to the job of driving on the edge to get them lively. And with the power in my S14 that requires much less input.

Rides
    They do definitely fit a profile that the car buying market definitely doesn't care whether it gets filled.