Thread: New car help/advice

Rides

New car help/advice

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a new daily asap. I currently have a mk6 golf gti with 31000 and I hate it! I have had terrible aftersales support from vw and just had enough with it. It's got a few niggles that I won't get into. I'm 24 and insurance isn't too big of a deal.

I'm looking at a few cars:
    Toyota Aristo 160/161
    s15 spec r
    Subaru impreza Wrx (Hawkeye)
    Toyota soarer
    Toyota chaser jzx 100

Who has had some experience with running costs, mpg etc and generally how does it do for a daily. I'm looking for a close to standard car. My route to work is croydon to Heathrow through the south/west of greater London. Mostly 30-40 mph with traffic lights and bumper to bumper traffic.

I wouldn't mind auto as why the Aristo and soarer are in ther but manual would be my preference. My mpg will be Crap regardless. Had a diesel Ibiza before and the mpg is similar if not better in the gti so not a biggy.

Any advice for what people think is a better daily and better to maintain would be greatly appreciated. Obviously staying s body would be nice but rust, vvt rattle, blown mani gaskets and having 2 of them may not be the best option.

Cheers all

Jack

Rides
    Hi Jack

If you really dont care about mpg and want something jdm the chaser or soarer will be a pretty comfy place to be sat in traffic, with a nice engine to cheer you up when you do get going...

Rides
    Not the best commuter car, but if you're planning on keeping it standard(ish), the S15 Spec R will be a lot of fun out the box, and I can't see them depreciating any time soon.

An Auto TT Soarer or Aristo will be extremely comfortable and fast. Good ones may be difficult to find.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jackm View Post
    My route to work is croydon to Heathrow through the south/west of greater London. Mostly 30-40 mph with traffic lights and bumper to bumper traffic.
    Dont think I would bother with any of them

I would either get a cheap disposable car like a Micra or Fiesta or something like a 330d Auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Yup, or as it's all stop start, a petrol might be better. What you need is an auto 330i. Maybe a touring for lugging round car bits,

Rides
    Thanks for the input guys, i have ruled out diesel. My ibiza wasnt even warm when i got 1/2 way to work and in the winter was an issue with defrosting and not getting any good mpg.

I wouldnt really want to go down the BMW route personally. Not really a fan of them.

I do enjoy driving in general and i do have some decent roads near me which are fun for a little blast so a S15 would be the least boat like out the box.
    My night shift commute home is lovely normally as well as not much traffic.

Auto TT soarer or aristo are defo my top 2 then s15. Im looking to be self maintaining these as well. I know the 2JZ oil filter is in a bitch of a place to get to as well.
    I would probably end up doing a few bits to whatever car i get.

Appreciate all the input

Rides
    s15 spec R auto

Yeah I just said that!!..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jackm View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, i have ruled out diesel. My ibiza wasnt even warm when i got 1/2 way to work and in the winter was an issue with defrosting and not getting any good mpg.

I wouldnt really want to go down the BMW route personally. Not really a fan of them.

I do enjoy driving in general and i do have some decent roads near me which are fun for a little blast so a S15 would be the least boat like out the box.
    My night shift commute home is lovely normally as well as not much traffic.

Auto TT soarer or aristo are defo my top 2 then s15. Im looking to be self maintaining these as well. I know the 2JZ oil filter is in a bitch of a place to get to as well.
    I would probably end up doing a few bits to whatever car i get.

Appreciate all the input
    To be fair any car is going to find it tough to warm up just sitting in traffic.

Rides
    I have found both my girlfriend's old Clio the golf and the 200 warm up regardless but my mum's 1.6tdi Ibiza and my old 1.9 Ibiza struggled to get upto temp in the mornings.

S15 spec r auto.....hmm. tempting!

Rides
    Diesels typically struggle to get up to temp in start/stop.

Reading again, I'm surprised you dislike the mk6 GTi. They're quite a fun place to be once the road opens up.

If you don't like BMWs (u wot m8), I'd probably go the route Mark suggests (a path well trodden on this forum), and get something practical/reliable for day to day use, and something more exciting for occasional use (essentially, when you get out of London).

Did you have a budget in mind?

Rides
    Push the boat out and buy a Lexus ISF

Rides
    Considering your options, I suggest you do what arry did, double your budget and buy a porsche, and a chest wig

Rides
    I found it to be good ride wise, test drove a Subaru BRZ as that was the other car i was interested in at the time and that was real bad in comparison.

Ive lived with it for a couple of years now and its just not right for me. VW not being able to take my car in when it had issues and i still had warranty was a real pain!
    The 200 will be good for a blast about when i fancy it. Im looking at about 6-10k at the moment. I can push that a bit of need be mind.

I would LOVE and ISF but that is seriously out of my budget lol. Give it a couple more years and a GTR will be in reach mind

I do like the Cayman alot.......

Rides
    I drive a completely standard S15 Spec-R as a daily at the minute. Running costs are very good for the type of car in my opinion. I reckon I only get mid-twenties MPG at best but the tank is a decent size so I don't feel like I'm filling up all the time. Servicing isn't any more expensive than previous hot hatches I've had, the only downside being some parts you sometimes need to source from outside the country (though this is mainly for things like body panels, not the mechanical side). Standard it sits on 16" wheels so tyres are dirt cheap as well. If you're in start-stop traffic a lot the clutch might feel a bit heavy but I think the same would be true on most of the other cars you're looking at.

In regards to practicality, the 2 front seats are pretty comfortable and leg/head room isn't too bad. Rear seats are very, very cramped (most tall people will have their head touching the roof and there's no legroom at all). It can carry 4 if you need to but it's really not designed for it. The boot is actually a decent size and the rear seats do fold more or less flat. For the Weekender last year I managed to fit a tent and all my gear in fine. There's also decent storage pockets next to the rear seats as well.

The ride is pretty firm but I wouldn't say its uncomfortable. Mine does well as a daily; the only thing is that you're on edge a bit driving it in case someone pulls out on you because body panels aren't easy to come by!

Rides
    Ah perfect , that helps me a good amount!
    I would be familiar with the mechanics etc which would be a massive plus and also if i need something off the other one i can rob across and back order if need be.

I rarely have more than 3 people in the car at once and its mainly me and the girlfriend. Normally a couple of suitcases is the most il put in the boot if taking the parents to the airport etc.

Rides
    Decision made, Toyota Aristotle v300 (2jzgte) it is!
    Just waiting for the golf to sell now then I can put a deposit down with torque gt