Thread: New key not working

Rides

New key not working

I've only ever had one key for my 98 S14a, my boy used it to open the house & 5 mins later it was no where to be found. That was over a month ago & there's still no sign of it.

So I've given up looking & ordered a new key from Nissan. Only the one the new one that came in was much smaller than my old one, the plastic part that is. The parts guy double checked as he though it seemed odd, but he was told it was correct for my car (it has the org ECU, just with a jez stage 1a chip).

I tried the new key, it didn't start first time, which seemed a bit odd as it always has. It did start after a bit of trying, but cut out again after a few seconds with the engine light flashing. I plugged the laptop in but the fault codes were odd saying no fault but giving a number like 141 or 145.

It seems to me it the new key must be missing a NATS chip or has one & needs coding, anyone know how I can tell?

Thanks

Rides
    14a key with the nats2 chip the plastic part is sort of square shaped,s14 key it is tulip or tear drop shaped and has no chip afaik
    as its nats1 immob system, if you have the correct key the chip is inside the the red blanking plug
    if it comes with a chip (worth checking it has) it will need coding/syncing from the working key used as a copy
    I tried with no success getting a key from a shoe repair & key cutting shop and getting them to recode the new key
    about 4 tries and each time it fire for 3 seconds and cut out as the nats2 cuts in/cuts the fuel
    I gave up trying and still only have one key for my 14a
    I have nissan datascan and read it can be done using one of them ,but not tried it yet

Rides
    The key needs to be syncd up first

Rides
    I used a local timpsons 2months ago when I got my s14a as I too only had one key. They cut me the key and coded the chip in and it cost me £35. Works a treat.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    14a key with the nats2 chip the plastic part is sort of square shaped,s14 key it is tulip or tear drop shaped and has no chip afaik
    as its nats1 immob system, if you have the correct key the chip is inside the the red blanking plug
    if it comes with a chip (worth checking it has) it will need coding/syncing from the working key used as a copy
    I tried with no success getting a key from a shoe repair & key cutting shop and getting them to recode the new key
    about 4 tries and each time it fire for 3 seconds and cut out as the nats2 cuts in/cuts the fuel
    I gave up trying and still only have one key for my 14a
    I have nissan datascan and read it can be done using one of them ,but not tried it yet
    Bugger, yes the old one was kinda square shaped & the new one is tulip shape. Firing up for that time too

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by morzy2k5 View Post
    I used a local timpsons 2months ago when I got my s14a as I too only had one key. They cut me the key and coded the chip in and it cost me £35. Works a treat.
    Wow that's good, it less than the seemingly chipless key nissan sold me, maybe I'll try them. I guess they will need the key I now have to copy? But can get me a chipped key.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by andyrt View Post
    Wow that's good, it less than the seemingly chipless key nissan sold me, maybe I'll try them. I guess they will need the key I now have to copy? But can get me a chipped key.
    Nissan data scan can re program keys. Your need the program and a consult cable if you get stuck

Rides
    Yeah they will cut a new key off the one you have ordered off Nissan.not sure how they will code the chip in though,as they inserted my original key into this machine.it then told them the long chip ID number and they copied that and put it into a new chip for me. I don't think they will be able to do it for you as you have not got a chip to start with.
    Best bet is as above get a cable and relevant software.or send your ecu off to to Horsham developments and get the nats removed? That would be the cheapest option

Rides
    So the parts guy looked into it a bit more & found the first part number he was given (& the one he ordered the first key from) had been superseded. So it sounds very much like the first smaller key was for an S14, with the newer part number being for the S14a. The newer part number also had a description of it being bigger & having a red tab on it.

I've actually now by chance found my old key in the gravel drive out side the house! Unfortunately it's been out there for a month or two, the key ring is badly rusted, the keys on it are ok but that bit of the key round the red tab is now staring to split apart. I guess the water has got inside to the chip & destroyed it Trying that original key in the car now & it's the same as the new key with no chip, with the engine light flashing.

I'm fairly sure the chip has been too badly damaged by being outside in the rain for far too long I guess it's possible trying the new key with no chip had lock out the NATS some how?

The Nissan parts guy has the correct key on order now & will let me have it at no extra cost as it was their mistake, which is nice. So on the assumption my old key is now unusable I'll need to sync the new one when it comes.

Quote Originally Posted by auz200sx View Post
    Nissan data scan can re program keys. Your need the program and a consult cable if you get stuck
    I've got the consult cable, I googled Nissan data scan, the blurb on the site didn't say anything about NATS reprogramming.

Jez got back to me & said his NATS Sync http://www.h-dev.co.uk/product_info....oducts_id=1232 will do the trick. Seems that costs much the same as Nissan would charge to do it so buying Jez's NATS Sync is the obvious choice, unless anyone knows of an no cost option?