Thread: AFM and Injector Limits

Rides

AFM and Injector Limits

I've read that to strive for the magical 300bhp figure from the ca18 you need a z32 and bigger injectors (over and above the stage 2 stuff).

But which is needed the most? Which runs out of puff first, Injectors or AFM?

I've spent ages swooping around the AFM pipework on my kitcar and simply can't fit a z32 afM in there.

I want to get booked in for either a Nistune/Horsham map but is there any point if I only have the injectors and no bigger AFM.

Car is currently running 262bhp but I wouldn't mind abit more :-D

Rides
    They pretty much run out at the same time, so need to be done together.
    You do know you can run any AFM you want right, doesn't have to be the massive Z32 item.

Have you looked at the more recent ones, the current R35 AFM is shared right across the range IIRC it's the same as the one in the Micra??

Rides
    270 without a map is do able but not as nice as a stage 1a chip from hdev which should see you to 290 on the high side depending on how much boost you run. With injectors and MAF I think about 310 is the maximum the turbo can take. Depending on the condition of your engine ofc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41288 View Post
    270 without a map is do able but not as nice as a stage 1a chip from hdev which should see you to 290 on the high side depending on how much boost you run. With injectors and MAF I think about 310 is the maximum the turbo can take. Depending on the condition of your engine ofc.

He is running a ca so to achieve 270 he would need a stage 2 chip. My ca made 306bhp @ stage 2 but i wouldn't advise it my car had issues lol
    Stage2 is rated to 280bhp that would surely be rapid in your car Dave!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    He is running a ca so to achieve 270 he would need a stage 2 chip. My ca made 306bhp @ stage 2 but i wouldn't advise it my car had issues lol
    Stage2 is rated to 280bhp that would surely be rapid in your car Dave!
    Yep, apologies! Didn't read the first post properly!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post

Have you looked at the more recent ones, the current R35 AFM is shared right across the range IIRC it's the same as the one in the Micra??
    nistune i think has started to introduce support for the R35 AFM, so it's starting to trickle in.

I'd love to use them since they're much less prone to reversion problems but it'd mean changing my ECU too, since I'm using some jiggery pokery to run two AFMs on a Z32 ECU.

I'm surprised we haven't seen more traders making like a standard R35 size pipe that'll allow it to calculate airflow accurately.

oh wait ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RB26-R35-R...item25a5284082
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    The other possibility is swapping the ECU out, binning off the AFM all together and running a MAP sensor.

Given your space restrictions it'd make packaging so much easier.

Rides
    Should have said I already run a HDev stage 2 chip.

I'm at 1.01bar of boost atm so putting in a bit more boost would help a bit but my tuner couldn't put anymore in as the car was running a bit lean.

The issue with the z32 isn't necessarily the space for the AFM itself, its the subsequent increase in pipework. Currently I'm at 60mm from AFM to turbo and if I increase he size of the AFM(or fit an r35) that'll mean that I need to replace all this pipework with 80mm as well but there is absolutely no way I can fit anymore in.

I don't have the funds for full aftermarket management, MAP sensor etc so that's not an option.

I guess it could be that my current injectors just need cleaning and then I could try again to turn the boost up slightly.

The only issue I did have when it was on the rollers was that afterwards, I realised the TPS wasn't connected!! I don't know of that would affect the fuelling or not.

The turbo has since been upgraded from a fkd t28 to a hybrid with 360 thrust bearing and billet compressor wheel.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    nistune i think has started to introduce support for the R35 AFM, so it's starting to trickle in.

I'd love to use them since they're much less prone to reversion problems but it'd mean changing my ECU too, since I'm using some jiggery pokery to run two AFMs on a Z32 ECU.

I'm surprised we haven't seen more traders making like a standard R35 size pipe that'll allow it to calculate airflow accurately.

oh wait ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RB26-R35-R...item25a5284082
    I really don't know why more people don't use these.

Better in every way than the Z32 AFM...

Rides
    What power is your t28 with billet wheel meant to be good for?

R35/350Z MAF doesn't take any more room than stock MAF. Piping narrows down to stock size so your comment about 80mm piping puzzles me a bit tbh.
    They can be had cheap with original housing and if your lucky with pigtail too. Open up the MAF bolt holes a touch and an Apexi filter bolts straight on.

Last edited by immy21; 25-07-2015 at 21:35.

Rides
    Hi Immy, re:80mm piping, I just assumed if the AFM was larger then the pipework would need to remain larger as well?

Is that an r35 AFM in the photo?

Rides
    Edit:
    To answer your question about the pipe, no. It narrows down out of sight and slips onto your stock turbo elbow just like your stock pipe would.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB666 View Post
    Hi Immy, re:80mm piping, I just assumed if the AFM was larger then the pipework would need to remain larger as well?

Is that an r35 AFM in the photo?
    Basically yes, it's a 350z MAF which is the exact same as R35 I believe.
    I used it in my s14a, got it in my s15r now.

I'm using a z32 hard intake pipe, 70mm - 80mm silicon joiner. Wirings super simple, use a multimeter on your loom to find out V and GND on you MAF plug. Here's wiring guide.

http://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2507
    Last edited by immy21; 25-07-2015 at 21:55.

Rides
    That's some good information right there! Thanks alot!

Is the 350z/r35 AFM 80mm bore then?

Rides
    350z MAF is 70mm, the mouth of the stainless intake (MAF side) is 80mm.

Rides
    Spot on. Theres loads for sale on eBay but no pigtails.

Any good places to find the plugs?

Rides

AFM and Injector Limits

Couldn't find plugs on there own. Thin female spade connectors will do.
    I got my maf with housing and pigtail from a trader, zmanalex on 350-UK forum.

Rides
    slightly off topic, but with regards to the r35 afm, wernt they pretty restrictive in the stock pipework size? as compared to a z32 that is. i heard they struggle to make much more flow/power than a z32 afm until the r35 sensor was put into a larger bore pipe.

always fancied running something like a r35 afm on a blow through setup (mainly because blowing a boost hose and getting stuck at the side of the road, inevitavbly in the rain, trying to fix it sucks)

Rides
    Yeah, the R35 guys just increase the intake size and adjust the map:

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/c...em-7c1101.html

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by norfy View Post

always fancied running something like a r35 afm on a blow through setup (mainly because blowing a boost hose and getting stuck at the side of the road, inevitavbly in the rain, trying to fix it sucks)
    Yeah that does suck, it wasn't fun lying under the front of my car fiddling with zip ties on the hard shoulder of a derestricted Autobahn

Easy to get around though, ask you mapper to set max injector pulse width limits. Basically the ECU won't spray abnormally high amounts of fuel in the event of a boost hose popping off or what not. These are normally in place on stock s14/s15 maps.

The main reason I switched from Z32 to Z33 on my s14a was to go blow through but for different reasons, didn't end up doing it though. It was mainly to tackle stutter due to reversion, generally the faster your going the more noticeable/annoying it is. You can feel it a little even with stock BOV mod.
    My s15 doesn't stutter though so it's staying pre turbo. Still trying to figure out why it doesn't stutter