Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How much power could i make?

Rides
    Oh yeah fair enough, I miss read wrong! I assumed the gfb controllers were ball and spring but just read now that they are the bleed type

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Rides
    So i am hoping that with a proper genuine dawes device i will see full boost around 3.5k revs?

Rides
    Also if the power comes in sooner will it affect my map or bhp figure?

Rides
    Also if the power comes in sooner will it affect my map or bhp figure?

Rides
    Not unless you end up with more boost pressure at higher RPM.

It will only affect the first half of the torque curve, if everything after that is tuned to 1.2 bar and the compressor is giving you 1.2 bar then that bit won't change.

Rides
    Right received my genuine dawes device today and hooked it up to my compressor and i am confused!

Can someone tell me exactly how a dawes device should work ie- hold pressure till 1.0bar then crack open. So not let any pressure past till the desired pressure is reached.

Rides
    There will be a "take-off" nipple somewhere between the turbo and the throttle body that can be used to measure the pressure that has built up on the intake side.
    On a T25, this is on the turbo housing.
    On most cars with a T28 fitted, there will be a nipple tapped into the turbo or some part of the hot pipe side.
    The nipple should have a narrow gauge pipe that runs to the actuator.
    As the pressure in the intake grows, it will gradually overwhelm the diaphragm in the actuator and the actuator arm will move and open the turbo wastegate.

The dawes device goes in the pipe that runs from that nipple to the actuator and basically interrupts the pressure seen by the actuator.

The device needs to be installed so that the ball is nearest to the intake (pressure source) and the spring is nearest to the actuator.

As the pressure in the intake grows, the actuator now sees no pressure at all as the dawes device stops the pressure passing along the pipe to the actuator.

Eventually, the pressure in the intake will overwhelm the spring that is holding the ball, the ball will move back and allow the pressure to pass along the pipe to the actuator and the actuator arm will move.

Twiddling the knob on the end of the dawes device will increase the preload on the spring which will result in more pressure being needed at the intake to overwhelm the spring.

So, in brief, the dawes device does two things.

It stops the actuator arm moving gradually as pressure increases and it stops the actuator arm moving at all until a pressure is reached that overwhelms the adjustable spring in the dawes device.

If you back the preload right off, the car should behave just as though no dawes device was fitted.

If you wind in too much preload, the boost pressure will build in the intake until you blow off a hose or the turbo overspeeds and eats itself

If you fit the device the wrong way round, the pressure will help to hold the ball in the closed position and the actuator arm will never move and you will get infinite boost and blow the turbo or blow a hose.

Rides
    I have it all fitted correctly and using the take off underneath the throttle body before the butterfly.

And i just needed to confirm that it will hold pressure till the desired pressure is reached ie- 1 bar.

So in theory it should act the same way with an irline attached?