Thread: Intake pipe issues!!

Rides

Intake pipe issues!!

Hi all. I have replaced my cone filter with the original cold air box and k&n panel filter but since then the pipe between afm and turbo keeps collapsing. Is there a hard pipe you can buy to stop this?? Or am I better returning to a cone filter???

Cheers!

Rides
    New or 2nd hand k&n panel filter?

Rides
    It was a new panel filter

Rides
    Reading this first time, suggests that the panel filter is a lot more restrictive than the cone filter, and that it is the vacuum in the pipe that is causing it to collapse.
    However, I'm struggling to believe the difference is significant enough to cause the problem.

The standard intake hose is a metal pipe.

I'm guessing that your original metal intake pipe has been thrown away, and a silicone item has been used between your AFM and turbo until now.
    The higher restriction from the panel filter may be an issue, but........I'm thinking an alignment issue is more likely.
    Something about the mountings points of the current panel filter, AFM, and soft hose are probably mismatched.

Try slackening all the mounting points, and then go for a drive, and see if the hose still collapses.

Rides
    Now I don't have a clue why the hose is collapsing, but I'm certain the standard pipe from maf to turbo inlet is a rubber one Jon!

Rides
    There was a coil of metal inside the "elephant trunk" section of hose between the afm and turbo like a spring but only there to stop it doing what you are talking about.

But the fact it's sucking closed shows you how restrictive your filter is.

Rides
    I have managed to fabricate a stainless pipe today. But I have also drilled threw the bottom of the air box and ran a ducting pipe to front of car near fog light. The difference in performance is drematic, the turbo must have been starved of air!