Thread: After some info to use in my uni project

Rides

After some info to use in my uni project

Admin: sorry if this is in the wrong place, wasn't sure where to put it!

Hi all,

I'm after some information to use in my final year uni project.

I'm looking into how camber, caster and toe angles are used in various types of motorsport and was wondering how they are used in drifting. I've been to a fair few drift days and a large amount of negative camber on the front wheels seems to be a recurring theme.

Basically, I'm after the pros/cons of this and how toe/camber angles in general help to initiate and maintain the drift.

I know this may be basic knowledge to some but we all have to start somewhere!

Thanks for any info, much appreciated!

James

Rides
    You would be better off directing your questions to professional wheel alignment companies as you can use that info directly in your work but forum gossip isn't much help

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by liamjrhodes View Post
    You would be better off directing your questions to professional wheel alignment companies as you can use that info directly in your work but forum gossip isn't much help
    Yeah true, will try and contact one or two Thing is, they won't know too much on the drifting side of it.

I emailed Driftworks and they told me to ask on the forum but the whole point of emailing was so that I had a reliable source to use haha

Rides
    A 'proper' motorsport alignment garage will know about drifting alignment

Flamethrower
    Rides
    I second what these guys have said. Ive just had mine set for a daily driver / drifter, and the guy gave me a good insight into it - at a basic level, a little negative front camber and increased castor angle is what you would use for a beginner. Front camber is more negative (-1 to -2 degrees) to help front end grip and turn in, while castor angle is basically the inclination of your front suspension strut to the vertical, and slightly increased castor angle will help you to self centre. I have heard that some people use a little toe out on the rear to help initiation, but I dont fully understand all of this myself so dont quote me on it.

Dont assume that every S-body you see with excessive camber is a drift car. Its usually to make wheels fit, rather than to aid drifting.

Rides
    Cheers guys.

Quote Originally Posted by misterjake View Post
    I second what these guys have said. Ive just had mine set for a daily driver / drifter, and the guy gave me a good insight into it - at a basic level, a little negative front camber and increased castor angle is what you would use for a beginner. Front camber is more negative (-1 to -2 degrees) to help front end grip and turn in, while castor angle is basically the inclination of your front suspension strut to the vertical, and slightly increased castor angle will help you to self centre. I have heard that some people use a little toe out on the rear to help initiation, but I dont fully understand all of this myself so dont quote me on it.
    Yeah that confirms what I had so thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by misterjake View Post
    Dont assume that every S-body you see with excessive camber is a drift car. Its usually to make wheels fit, rather than to aid drifting.
    The rears on my S13 are cambered, purely to make the wheels fit though. I only recently noticed the negative camber used on the fronts of drift cars, but now I've actually researched it, it makes sense. Typical student leaving it to the last minute!