Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: starting probems

Rides
    ok so piston rings are worn so ive been thinking it may be worth saving the ca and change the rings.

so at a guess il need

rings
    headgasket
    change the bearings to acl race
    timing belt

anything else il need and where to get them from .

i wont be buying the parts until i get the engine apart but always good to do the homework.

Rides
    CA's are cheap to buy so maybe look into getting another engine with good comp readings from a breaker on here?
    I think it would be cheaper outlay and faster turn around to getting car back on the road
    still keep this CA and rebuild it, just me thinking costs of rebuild in parts alone + time it will take to do a good job
    V's 200/300 squids ish? for an ok CA and collect something heavy,get a bit mucky and broom broom back and doing burnouts
    (or taking it easy and being a sensible motorist)

Rides
    thats what I was thinking but ive asked about and theres plenty off ca's out there around 2-300 but with no proof off compression and whats to say I find a good one a two mins later BANG bottom end or something else .

why ive been thinking rebuild would be better I have no problem building ca engines and as I know apart from the rings the engine is mechanically sound surely its a better path to go.

Rides
    rebuild it then. I think that would be your best option. im sure if you gathered the parts you could have it done in a few days. I still want your intercooler tho

Rides
    yes true I could have it done in a few days but hopefully going to take my time and add I few extra bits in the process so would be ideally looking at a few months taking my time .

I still need to buy a stand and crane as no one local has one to hand.

il have a think on the cooler as I may want to upgrade it

Rides
    If it were me, I'd get the engine out and stripped down then get the parts in. You can safely say you'll need a gasket set though

I know it will extend the build time over gathering the parts but you don't want to be gathering the wrong parts !

If it needs a rebore then you'll need oversize pistons and rings. If it turns out to be inlet valves, you may not need rings at all. If, if, if.

If you do happen to need a set of inlet valves, I have a set of BNIB pattern inlet valves I don't have a use for.

Rides
    ok finally got the head off and the bores look fine and no pitting anywere but the head Il post these pics up so you can see what its like

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Loopy_drifter View Post
    piston rings....215psi seems strangely high..
    possibly more oil than needed caused that jump.

give it a good clean up, and take the cams out fill the head with fuel or carb cleaner see if it drains away through the inlet or exhaust valves. I'm guessing your going to replace the rings and bearings anyway now?
    Last edited by jj205mi16; 01-06-2015 at 16:59.

Rides
    jonny. I will be replacing as much as I can over time by the looks off my valves they will need replacing too . what are you after for your valves.?

yes I think maybe too much oil too possible went up the compression tester to cause the jump.

yes Il be replacing the rings and bearings while im there might as well do a fresh build.

if the fuel or cleaner drains through the lifters im guessing that means worn valves.

when I took the rocker covers off the exhaust cam side was filled with oil and the manifold and the inlet side was not?

also you can see In the picture off the block the some off the water ways where blocked up.

Rides
    yeah i seen that, possibly blocked oil drain in the head causing it to drain slowly, looks like it needed a freshen up anyway mate, if you are going to get the new valves off johnny id only do that test after the new valves are fitted and ground in to make sure you have a good seal. thats how i check anyway

just noticed its only inlets johnny mentioned, when the cams are out if you fill it with fuel you will see it running into the inlet or exhaust ports if there is any leaks and you know that one needs ground more etc
    Last edited by jj205mi16; 01-06-2015 at 17:39.

Rides
    I'd get a full engine gasket set if I were you. There's quite a few paper gaskets and they might not seal properly if you re use them.

Rides
    at least you didn't find any thing too serious, I did spy a couple of cracks in the manifold tho

Rides
    In your top picture of post 27, the No 2 piston doesn't look too clever.

It might be just the picture but it looks like there is a lot of pitting around the sides of the crown which could be det or possibly from a broken bit of spark plug/weld from the mani rattling round.

I'll PM you about the inlets.

Rides
    yes il be getting a full gasket set ive decided the plan will be to get a replacement engine and rebuild my one as a spare.

its just water and oil, grime in there jonny from taking the head off in the rain
    il look out for your pm

its pretty clean but il rebuild the whole thing anyway

yep Im always getting new cracks welded on the mani nightmare

Rides

Rides
    hes already sold it was going to put a deposit on it but its gone he said

Rides
    Oh dear. You have to move fast for a known good CA nowadays

I've PMed you now.

Rides
    Mospin. Been trying to contact you. Call me on 07746 172274

Rides