Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: £500 to buy a daily diesel..what would you buy!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    Don't buy a diseasel - for £500 buy a 1.7 Puma and have loooads more fun. Mine does 37-38mpg no matter how I drive it and if you factor in the difference in price between 95 and the black stuff then that's the equivalent of over 40mpg AND you'll be helping the environment

You know it makes sense.
    I 100% agree with don't buy a diseasall,,its the fuel of satan and should only be used for cleaning engine parts
    but if you must get a derv generator powered vehicle you could try and get Toyota Yaris 1.4D taty ones come up around 500 notes

and in the theme of the ford Punny my son has done the 1.7 into mk5 fiesta's 4 times now,
    he gets the donor puma for 80>150 and the fiesta (zetec s with the famous blown motor) for 100>150
    and the swap is easy peasy, the puma chassis even though based on the fester comes out at over 900 kgs (950 maybe)
    the fiesta's are 850 ish so makes a quicker and more practical car than the cramped puma
    the weights are based on weighing the shells in etc so are approx
    but the end result is they recon is a lot better than a lightly tweaked/stripped out punny

Rides
    Another shout for the Puma, failing that a Zetec S Fiesta (if you can find one that hasnt been chavved to death )

A cheap diesel car will ruin you, you might get away with the Pugs but they will be dog slow however anything common rail is a ticking timebomb, pretty much all of them suffer from Fuel pumps, injectors, EGR valves, Turbos and DMF failure at some point from 80k onwards and each one except the EGR valve is £1k to fix which is why the cars are cheap as chips to start with. If you just want a decent everyday car then look at 2.0i Mondeos, Mazda engine, nice inside and will do 30-40mpg all day long.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.