Thread: How to raise rear suspension about an inch?

Rides

How to raise rear suspension about an inch?

Hi,
    I have a car based on an 1800cc S13 from 1991.
    I wonder if anyone knows how I can raise the rear suspension just an inch or so?
    Many thanks.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Not running coilovers I take it?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Hi again,
    I'm running whatever was standard back in 1991, but definately not coilovers. The car has only done 10,000 miles.

Rides
    Blimey thats lovely low mileage, aren't they like 4x4 height stock anyway? lol. You can't raise the original suspension unfortunately.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I'm not 100% sure how s13 suspension fits at the top but I'm sure you could do something with the topmounts to increase ride height. Possibly a bespoke spacer like people run on wheels.

Again I don't know s13 suspension but it makes sense in my head.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Here's a link to my car..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojFJLWDidf8
    It's rather low at the rear, and as it's so long it can scrape the chassis on some humps.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Were you at the thornfalcon classic car show last year? If so I had a look around your car, took me a while to realise is was s13 based.

Rides
    Yes I was, although the link is to a previous one I had. The current one you saw is a cream colour, not white.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I'm rubbish with colours

Hopefully someone will have a definitive answer for you soon

Rides
    My slight problem is that I imagine coilovers will just lower, and not raise the car higher than the original shocks.

Rides
    Crikey!
    Anyway, maybe something like this in the right size?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grayston-C...item19fd90bbc6

Rides
    Thanks! That's certainly an interesting idea. I wonder how much they will raise the car by? I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

Rides
    s14 rear shocks and springs are longer than 13s have in overall length so in theory they would raise the rear about 20/30mm
    the top mount studs are wider spaced on the 14 top mount,possibly swap the top mounts (not tried that with OE shocks personally)
    or redrill the turret?
    I have only tried swapping top mounts on coil overs but it was between my 13 and 14a
    and thats how I found out about the studs are fair bit wider between the two cars approx 20mm

that rubber sausage thing could work if it matches the smallish coil diameter of the rear springs
    it would make the spring slightly higher poundage/firmer ride

got to be the first time someone has asked how to raise an S body's ride height

Rides
    Wow. What an unusual looking car. Whats the history of it?

Rides
    there was a thread about a s13 rally car where there were some strut mods and the ride height had been raised by about a foot. ill see if i can dig it out. it may be food for thought

Rides
    The car is made by a Japanese company called Mitsuoka. They made 500 of them in the early 1990's, and sold them all in a week.
    The motoring press said it was the "most outlandish car ever made". When I read that, I just had to have one!
    It took quite a while to find it in Japan. I've had it on the road for a few years now, even displayed it at the
    Classic Le Mans last year, and have great fun with it - except when I have to reverse park it!!

I've just ordered some coil spring raisers, which will arrive next week. I'll update this thread when I've
    fitted them, to let everyone know if they've worked. In the meantime, many thanks for all the help, but don't stop
    as I may well have to try something else......

Rides
    It might be worth just fitting a replacement set of standard springs, they can sag over time.

Rides
    The rubber spring raisers lifted the rear by about 1/2 inch, which is fine. Thanks for all your replies.