Thread: Anybody else had this problem?

Rides

Anybody else had this problem?

Bit of history about the car, had bottom end failure, took it to who is one of the best in all of Northern ireland/Ireland at working at performance nissans, he stripped the engine and replaced all the bearings with new Acl ones, replaced a piston, rod and cam with second hand replacements and rebuilt the oil pump internals. Engine back in, got timing all set up car ran fine. I have been taking it for small drives up past my house (as car is currently sorned) to keep everything freed up until it's MOT which is due next week. Last week car was startingto miss a bit when it was warming up then today I started it up, starts fine, then gave it a wee Rev and it had stopped missing, left it a few seconds more gave it another Rev and it started missing again. this happens around 2000rpm, let it idle a bit longer to see if it had just been one of those things. Then the airbag light started flashing, abs light had came on and so had oil pressure light,msn I turned the car off. Checked oil level and it was okay but I don't want to turn it on again incase any damage will occur. Has anybody came across this before as it seems very strange. My initial thought was that it was the maf but not anymore. I've no way of transporting the car anywhere and don't live remotely near anybody I would trust to have a look at it so I'm kind of stuck.

Rides
    Tried cleanin the afm and the connections which made it worse, car as a rough idle, I suppose if the car wasn't idling properly and trying to die the lights would come on due to not getting enough power? Car also has a weak battery. There are no lights on when you turn the car on, they only come on after 5 minutes or so when it's warmed up, this sound like a weak afm to anybody?

Rides
    some of the problems there your tell us whats wrong

weak battery replace it then as I had a problem before on a previous car as underload it would drain power but on idle be ok
    so I'd suggest new battery
    test alternator is working 100% then go from there

Rides
    im with GWtalylor, change the battery, it causes all kinds of shit when your battery is knackered

Rides
    Didn't think a battery would cause this sort of problem, battery has sat for nearly a year with little to no use so it's a major possibility and easiest to change/replace. Just sounded a lot like the afm when the problem arose around 2.5k and when I had taken it apart and cleaned it then it had got worse. I'll swap the battery tomorrow and if it's the case then I'll buy a new one. What's the best way to test the alternator and what figures should I be seeing if it's healthy?

Rides
    11.5 with car switched off 13.5 with car running (ish)

Rides
    Sounds to me like your not getting a consistent reliable spark and electrical feed to the injectors.

Check the alternator and the battery.

Rides
    Thanks for all the help and advice. Just want to try and eleminate the simple things first before I dig any deeper, so I'll check battery, alternator and maybe a possible bad earth would cause the same problems?

Rides
    Okay bit of an update, can't find my multimeter so won't get my hands on one until the weekend. Took battery out of the car I use daily, put it in the s14, started up straight away, idled fine, took it a drive up the road a bit, seemed okay so turned and came back, sitting in the driveway I put the lights on, car sounded like it was struggling while idling, so I turned the heater on, it made it even worse, lights came on the dash again, car would try and die when you revved it and eventually did just slowly cut out. is this another battery on its way out? I haven't a clue when it comes to electrical problems but it's bound to be something simple. Car was running fine when engine was put back in and has had no problems the past 4 months, the problem only occurred a day or 2 ago.

Rides
    Good chance it's the alternator if it's worse with more electrical load. Need to put a multimeter on the car whilst running and see if it's putting out the volts

Rides
    Second that I'd say your alt is on way out

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by amcm1 View Post
    is this another battery on its way out? I haven't a clue when it comes to electrical problems but it's bound to be something simple.
    Unlikely, find your multimeter then check voltage with engine off and on as mentioned earlier. Bushes or diodes do wear/fail on alternators, but first make sure the belt it still attached to it.

Rides
    I'll go and buy another multimeter tomorrow as I haven't seen mine for a year or 2 so it's probably long gone and I'll get it checked, I appreciate all the help

Rides
    alternator or possibly earth check both

Rides
    i had this when the battery earth in the bay (my battery was relocated to the boot but the strap was still in the bay) was loose

Rides
    Bit of an update, fitted another alternator that was working fine on another car, fitted it to mine, car had to be jump started as the battery was drained from before, car started straight away, idled 100% for maybe 2-3 minutes then started to get a bit lumpy, airbag light flashing, abs light came on and then car eventually died. What can be causing this? Car wasn't driving when this happened, was just idling in the driveway. I remember 2 weeks prior to this problem the battery was removed to be charged and was put in the wrong way round, is there a chance the ecu has kicked the bucket or something else has been blown, I checked fuses after this happened just incase but all were okay

Rides
    Ok so someone put the battery terminals the wrong way round?

Rides
    So have you had a multimeter on it yet? Everyone keeps giving you the same advice..