Thread: Climbers and Sailors - anybody do both?

Rides

Climbers and Sailors - anybody do both?

I have a random rope question...

Can you splice braid on braid climbing ropes which stretch the same way as you splice yachting rope that doesn't stretch?

I want to practice putting eye splices in, and doing so in rope with some stretch will make for a more comfortable dog lead than a non-stretchy yacht rope... but I only need the splices in yacht rope once I have the knack, so dont want to learn wrong, or indeed fail to get practice if climbing rope is some way different so cannot be spliced.

Thanks!

Rides
    I climb, Since you're not using the rope again for climbing and just a dog lead it would be fine.

But it will weaken the rope a hell of lot with any splice so I wouldn't use it again for climbing!

Rides
    A rope for taking a dog for walkies is not quite as mission critical as the ropes used for sailing and climbing. lol.

I think that you will find that it is possible to splice a halyard safely simply because it doesn't flex.

I have no idea if climbing rope is designed to stretch but I'd have thought that was more appropriate for bungee jumping.

Rides
    dynamic climbing rope definitely does stretch as its designed to act like a spring when you fall ... not sure you can splice i to be honest .. when I cut my old climbing ropes up to make a "hammock" for my ladders in the garage, the rope isn't like regular rope .. its got some weird twin/parallel core thing going on that allows it to stretch ...... I don't see how you could do it .. or at least not with the stuff I had

edit: ... ah googling parallel core splicing the webs says this :- "Ropes with parallel strand cores are not generally spliced."

so .. I guess that means, yes you can splice it, but no one advises it ...... but as its a dog lead I don't think its going to matter, I dunno how you would do it though, splice one core the oping once I guess, just with fewer strands, then do the next core ?
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-04-2015 at 15:18.

Rides
    I think maybe I haven't made the most sense.

I figure I can get climbing rope cheap that is no longer going to be used, but want to know if it'll splice in the same way as yachting rope - my concern was the fact that it stretches may make it harder to do, or impossible.

I have no plans to climb on this rope - although I would think a spliced eye in a rope would be pretty strong?

Rides
    I just edited my post as you posted ...

edit: ... ah googling parallel core splicing the webs says this :- "Ropes with parallel strand cores are not generally spliced."

so .. I guess that means, yes you can splice it, but no one advises it ...... but as its a dog lead I don't think its going to matter, I dunno how you would do it though, splice one core the oping once I guess, just with fewer strands, then do the next core ?

Rides
    Ahhh, youtube search double braid or braid on braid splicing It's not the same as 3-strand twisted splicing, and it's also not the same as D12 type single braid splicing...