Thread: VW Golf whirring sound on idle

Rides

VW Golf whirring sound on idle

My Golf mkV TDI daily has started whirring/squealing sound when idling. Initial thought it might be one of the belts. Don't know nothing about the TDI or oil burners for that matter.

Checking anyway I noticed a chip which I can only describe as a CAS sensor type thing. Don't know what it is tbh. But suspect a chunk of metal missing isn't normal.

Does anyone know if this could be culprit and if this chip is of worry?

Any help appreciated.

Many Thanks
    Last edited by gonzomagic; 19-03-2015 at 17:23.

Rides
    I think that is a sprung loaded/automatic belt tensioner, not sure whats happened regarding the chip missing
    possible is the powerful spring has broken or gone a bit weak, the chip was the internal spring stop possibly?
    causing same effect as broken spring, not had one apart to be honest
    I guess blurry pic is with it running, I think if sounds like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I5dz3uMkmM
    you need a new tensioner, £30 quids someone mentions in comments,
    might be a fiddly little bugger to get to though

Rides
    Pic was indeed with engine runnung, and the blur is from the engine movement, Thanks buddy, sounds about right, which would explain the sound I am getting. Will look into a replacement. Though does the tensioner come in a new block and assume the stop?

Does indeed sound like vid, but with a bit more of a squeak.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomagic View Post
    Pic was indeed with engine runnung, and the blur is from the engine movement, Thanks buddy, sounds about right, which would explain the sound I am getting. Will look into a replacement. Though does the tensioner come in a new block and assume the stop?

Does indeed sound like vid, but with a bit more of a squeak.
    The new tensioner should come ready to fit, sometimes with a pin holding it at full de-adjust so its easier to fit
    and when on the engine with belt re-fitted you then remove the pin,to save fighting with it to fit it
    or you may have to fit it to the engine,then swing it to full de-adjust to get the belt on then slowly let the pressure off
    and it will sort itself out assuming the belt is on each pulley and located on the V grooves,

the squeal or squeak is most likely the belt slipping as the tensioner is too weak to tack up the slack
    or the tensioner itself is squeaking as it's wobbling about like crazy with engine running
    new one will possibly still move slightly as engine is running,depends on run out of the pulleys
    Last edited by ANDY black s13; 20-03-2015 at 10:37. Reason: speelink mishtakes

Rides
    Many Thanks buddy. I'll prob get a local garage or Dal if I can get to him to sort. Just need to source the bits. Fingers crossed it holds till then.

Rides
    No worries mste glad to help when I can ,Dal has got to be first option for cheaps and he won't rip you off
    ,just depends how he is for work atm
    fingers crossed it holds out till then