Thread: Rebushing diff with subframe in place?

Rides

Rebushing diff with subframe in place?

Looking to polybush the rear diff with Energy Suspension front and rear bushes. I understand that the front bushes require the diff to be removed. With the rears, can the bushes be changed with the subframe in place or does it need to be removed?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I had to burn my rear bushes out so I'd drop the frame personally.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I don't see a way you could do it on the car, especially if you have to tap out the sleeve. Just drop it.

Or if you're worried about car down time, buy a spare for £50 or so, build that up and then just do a swap.

But whatever you do, soak all the joints to the car in WD40 for a few days before to reduce the risk of ripping the connecting studs.

Rides
    I'm not really worried about dropping the subframe, I've done it before when I restored the car. It's more that I didn't want to pay out for the car to be realigned as I had 4 wheel geometry done a while back. Would dropping the subframe throw out the geometry?
    Is there not enough room between the spare wheel well and the subframe to insert the new bushes?

Rides
    Thanks for the opinions.
    Perhaps I will just change the front diff bushes for now and see if that cures the clunk I get from the rear then when I fit Apex lower arms all round in the winter and I need to get the car realigned anyway, then drop the subframe and do the rear bushes.

I presume that the changing the front diff bushes should just be a case of removing exhaust/ARB/diff. Tap out the front bushes and put in the new Energy Suspension ones?

Although I did read on a 240sx forum that one guy managed to just loosen the 4 diff bolts and nuts. Then remove one of the front diff bolts, remove the bush and replace its bolt loosely. Then repeat on the other side. Anyone tried this on a 200sx?

Rides
    You should get away with just dropping the front of the diff down a little and obvs take the front bolts out. when i had my diff out the front bush's just fell out and were a very loose fit so should save a fair bit of work

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    I'm not really worried about dropping the subframe, I've done it before when I restored the car. It's more that I didn't want to pay out for the car to be realigned as I had 4 wheel geometry done a while back. Would dropping the subframe throw out the geometry?
    Is there not enough room between the spare wheel well and the subframe to insert the new bushes?
    I have exactly the same issue. If you mark everything up before you remove it then put it all back according to markings then you should get it close. This is what I plan to try.

Oh crap I just saw this is like a year old

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    I ended up just replacing the diff front bushes last year as access to remove the old bushes and their metal outer was just too tight. Now that I'm doing a suspension refresh, I dropped the subframe a few cm to allow the access I needed. Getting full geometry done once I've finished the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    How did you get on with the energy suspension diff bushes? i have just got there diff and subframe bushes and am doing the same swap in a couple of weeks. did u come into any issues? all fit ok?

Rides
    Do a search on my user name and rear diff bushes and I outlined the install. There's basically superfluous parts in the kit. The rear bush OEM cups that are reused and pushed into the top hat style ES rear bush. These are not held captive and push fairly easily into place. Does mean they can pop out when positioning the diff. One other person on this forum also said this in a post here. I've not run the car with the rear bushes in place yet so can't say how they are. The front bushes seem fine though.

Rides
    thats the ones that i brought to, from frsport in the US. im slightly worried that mine is fully solid mounted and i sont know if any of the original collars need to be left in place or not?

Rides

Some parts do need to be reused.

Rides
    Fek, need to see under the car then and see whats what

Rides
    ive had energy bushes in my car for a good 10 years now and they are spot on.

you don't have to take the ARB or exhaust off to remove the diff.