Thread: Squeeky power steering belt

Rides

Squeeky power steering belt

My belt has been increasingly noisy over the past year. Finally had a detailed look at it today!
    So the outside of the belt is fine - no cracks. It's about 3 years old and done about 3K! Looks like this:

On the inside it looks pretty chewed up:

With the engine running there's a squeeking that seems to be coming from the crank pulley. If I spray v belt spray on the steering belt it stops the noise for about 5 seconds until it's evaporated. There's a fair amount of tension on the belt, but in not sure how much there should be it how I can easily measure the tension. When the engine is running the crank pulley looks to be running true. The perhaps has a very slight wobble but if it has it's very slight. The belt does seem to jump around a little.

I cut the belt off earlier. Started the engine and the noise is gone. The pump pulley rotates smoothly. I thought to clean up the pulleys and put on a new belt and see how it goes.

Any advice and recommendations?

Rides
    should be able to twist the belt on the longest length by about a quarter turn, or just slightly over. But yeah that needs a new belt. I wouldnt have thought the noise would be coming from the crank pulley, more likely the PAS pump puller or tensioner pulley.