Thread: Best Sounding BOV?

Rides
    arc sheepdog

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    HSK SSQV will provide a whistle noise

A SARD R2D2 will have a woosh noise

No BOV will have that sweet chatter.

Running no BOV will no kill your turbo as a massive amount of users on here run with no BOV and they have zero issues.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 2oo View Post
    Yeah I've heard that too. But people say differently.
    Is there any "documentation" supporting that "theory" and the fact that it's not bad for the turbo?
    If the air coming back through the turbo was to make the wheel reverse direction at 80-160k rpm, then the thing would explode.

The turbo temporarily surges on lift off as the engine cannot ingest the air it is being provided which is why the air reverses direction and heads back through the compressor blades. Prolonged surge during acceleration is very bad for turbos as the bearings eat themselves due to the vibration generated by being forced to run at high speed by the turbine side while the engine is unable to ingest the air the compressor is providing. However, when the throttle is closed and air is passing back through the blades, there is no loading on the turbine side (no air in, no air out), so in fact that any additional loading on the bearing is quite low and the compressor speed will reduce slightly. The only way there could be additional loading on the bearing is in a flat shift scenario but the amount of time spent in that "surge" condition is so low that you would have to be using the turbo for a very long time to see the effect.

I don't think there has ever been a technical reference on the subject.
    Last edited by zeppelin101; 02-03-2015 at 08:06.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    If the air coming back through the turbo was to make the wheel reverse direction at 80-160k rpm, then the thing would explode.
    Exactly, if you tried to suddenly 'stall' a 150k rpm wheel, you'd end up with bits of it through your bonnet.

With regards to BOV's, one of the only ones I personally think sounds ok is the Tial 50mm, sounds like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opfb...ature=youtu.be
    (Bare in mind that's running 2 bar through a big turbo so results may vary lol)
    Last edited by Slamz; 02-03-2015 at 09:50.

Rides
    Really at the end of the day a vta bov is going to be as much use as a electronic sound effect one at the boost pressure you be applying it at.

And you wouldnt put that on your car even if you could download a whole album of sound effects to suit from the apple store.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Ah, the good old internet forum

Guy asks a question .... and gets a whole bunch of answers back not actually answering the question but telling him why he shouldnt do what he asks.

I posted a question on a DIY forum at the weekend looking for a 3" wide shed that would fit down a side ally to house a lawn mower

the answers

(1) you dont want a shed, they are easy to break into and you mower will get stollen
    (2) dont get a 3" shed they are too small, get a 10x10 minimum
    (3) If you buy a reinforces 8ft x 11ft shed like mine you can hang a punch bag in it.
    (4) Do the job properly, dig your garden up and build a garage
    (5) you dont need a lawn mower that size, just buy a hover mower and hang it in the garrage
    (6) the cost of a landscaper to maintain all your garden isnt that much

not a single answer to if anyone made a 3" garden shed

anyway, to be the person that actually can answer a question ..... I went for the HKS SSQV ... you can buy 3 different trumpets for it that alter the sound .... what you will discover is they all sound slightly different, but noone actually knows which is "better" they are are just all different, ..... and the nice thing about the SSQV is if you decide you car is running worse after venting to air, you can buy a recirc kit for it, which silences the pssssht but sorts the running issues out.

But honestly, all the vent to atmosphere ones, sound slightly different, but not enough to say one is better than the other .. one goes pshhhht the other goes pssssht .... so buy one thats in budget, and has the option of a recirc to save you money later
    Thats the internet for you brew. True story

Rides
    I have the bailey thing on mine for a while. Played havoc with fueling. Always popping and banging. Recirculation if any I say.

Rides
    To be fair. A 3 inch shed is a bit small unless your mower is a pair 9 scissors.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dukey View Post
    To be fair. A 3 inch shed is a bit small unless your mower is a pair 9 scissors.
    He'll end up with something like this, made by Hornby

Less than a fiver though, bargain!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dukey View Post
    see ... cant even answer the question !

and ... oops ... perhaps I meant 3'

Rides
    Answer : SSQV

Info: S13s overfuel when fitted with a VTA DV as you are releasing air that has already been measured by the air flow meter so the ECU puts in fuel to create a mixture for air that "goes missing" on its way to the combustion chamber.
    The noise comes from the backwash of air that results when the throttle butterfly suddenly closes trapping the air that was rushing to the plenum and causing it to pass back along the cold pipe, intercooler and hotpipe in a dying wave to the turbo blades and the actuator. The actuator sees excess pressure which opens the wastegate which causes the exhaust gases to bypass the turbo reducing the drive to the turbo.

So, unless you are using a take-off for your actuator that is sourced inside the plenum, you don't need to vent.

A recircing DV takes the backwash and routes it to the inlet side of the turbo intake and, AS LONG AS IT IS ANGLED RIGHT, will relieve the pressure of the backwash without losing metered air and without any side-effects.
    If the angle of the recirc is wrong or it is too close to the AFM, you can end up double-reading the air as the AFM doesn't give a shit what direction the air is travelling, just that it is travelling so it counts the air in then counts it out again and tells the ECU which dumps in double the amount of fuel.

Extra: Don't buy a 3inch shed

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Ah, the good old internet forum

Guy asks a question .... and gets a whole bunch of answers back not actually answering the question but telling him why he shouldnt do what he asks.
    Which brand of sunflower oil is best for my engine?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Gallo 24

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    The noise comes from the backwash of air that results when the throttle butterfly suddenly closes trapping the air that was rushing to the plenum and causing it to pass back along the cold pipe, intercooler and hotpipe in a dying wave to the turbo blades and the actuator. The actuator sees excess pressure which opens the wastegate which causes the exhaust gases to bypass the turbo reducing the drive to the turbo.
    just a little correction there - remember with the throttle shut, there is no airflow through the engine so there is no drive to the turbo anyway. So even though the WG may open at the peak of the surge pressure (and ONLY at the peak, not each dying wave below peak boost), it doesnt do a single thing to the turbine or shaft speed.

This GFB article puts it really nicely, although i personally believe that comp surge off throttle makes no measurable difference to the lifespan of the turbo.

http://www.gfb.com.au/tech/tech-arti...mpressor-surge

Stu@GarageSR, Aberdeen GarageSR's Avatar
    Rides
    Have ran pidgeon (no bov/recirc) on my drift car since time began* with no issues to report. Your turbo will most likely (unless I've missed some info) be a 15-20 year old t25/t28, it will shit itself anyway

As for you question as to which bov sounds best.....none, they all sound gash. My opinion of course.

*possibly exaggerated but it is quite a long time.

Clickme

Rides
    Sard R2D2 is affordable, works well and gives a very distinct and loud dump. Or, a better but pricier option is the HKS Super SQV. Guarenteed not to leak and has more of a rally car whistle. Failing those options, go BOV'less and enjoy the chirp and a little stall. Been running this way for years without any turbo damage.

Rides
    Beer and Curry also gives a very distinct and loud dump to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Go for the cheapest .... there is no benefit in paying more for vegetable based oils, the extra expense for premium oils comes from the processing and quality of the plant that makes the oil and only has a benefit if you are consuming the oil in taste and heath properties.

Just remember though in using a vegetable oil in your car, its not as clean as bio-oils designed for cars, you WILL need extra particulate filers, very likely a pre-heater before the pump and possibly a secondary heater before the injectors and of course a decent fuel detergent added or if you dont want to spank out on oil detergents then make sure you run a tank of diesel every 3rd tank of sunflower oil to clean it up and reduces carbon deposits

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Beer and Curry also gives a very distinct and loud dump to
    going this route I would stick a charcoal filter between the waste pipe and where you are venting to .... it will muffle the sound, but the smell can be a bit over the top without it ..... mind you some people like the smell and think its a sign of power and performance

Rides
    Some great answers and info here!
    I've gotten the info I came for, thanks peeps.

Last edited by 2oo; 03-03-2015 at 12:18.