Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how to have a decent wedding day... but not bankrupt yourself in the process...?

Rides
    Vegas ?

Rides
    Best wedding I have been on ages was a regestra then on to the local village hall where the couple put on a hog roast and some kegs of ale and a live band... pretty much everyone who went said the relaxed atmosphere was loads better than some posh venue with over priced booze

Rides
    Well we looked into it and decided it was too much money for us and a waste of money for a one day event, so we have had to put our wedding off til things are a bit easier.

It wont be surprise me if the majority of people end up in this situation and getting married will disappear off the radar. Maybe prices will then come down.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by snops View Post
    Well we looked into it and decided it was too much money for us and a waste of money for a one day event, so we have had to put our wedding off til things are a bit easier.

It wont be surprise me if the majority of people end up in this situation and getting married will disappear off the radar. Maybe prices will then come down.

Yeah i think alot of people are doing this.

A couple on the misses fb got into about 30k worth of debt mainly from there wedding which was ok till the women wanted to start a family and give her job up which lead to arguments 12 months later divorced and the bloke now lives in aus. The ice cream bar was nice tho

Rides
    You know weddings have become too expensive when even Asian wedding costs are coming down. It used to be typical that each Asian wedding had to be bigger grander and more expensive than the last... Not so now

Rides
    Well, the only way I could afford a £25k+ wedding or however freaking much it cost was to opt out of any decision making at all and let her parents have the wedding they wanted.

Ultimately ... what ever you do, they all end up being the same, and you are so caught up in the day that you dont remember any of it anyway

I figure as soon as the kiddy is old enough to be baby sat happily for a week I am off to Vegas to be re-married by Elvis to my wife, then eat ribs and hit the game floor.

This is from someone that freaking hates weddings though !!!

Rides
    Wedding tax is a joke these days, you just have to go to a wedding fayre to be gobsmacked at what people think is acceptable to charge for shit that would normally be a tenth of the price. Thing is people are show offs and think they need to put on this amazing event or people will slag them off and say it was shit. Luckily me and the missus couldnt give a shit You have to remember its your day not theirs so do what YOU want and not what you think others will like.

We are not ones for snobby poncy food and looking at some venues they wanted £50-100 a head Now i wouldnt spend that on food I was eating so there is fook all chance i am paying it for others to stuff their face then say 'it wasnt all that' afterwards. Therefore we had a good old fashioned 'working class' affair and had fish and chips delivered from a local chippy then hired an ice cream van for dessert

We also supplied our own wine (we should have paid corkage on that but the venue forgot .) Daz did our photos. Ash_T was the DJ and instead of 'wedding cars' we hired a car from a chauffeur business and asked them to stick a ribbon on it.

The cake is another piss take charge and we found a place that did cup cakes which worked out more reasonable. The wifes dress was also in a sale and had around 70% off.

You can easily waste shitloads of money on one day that will feel like it was an hour but there are also ways to save money and still have a great day, just dont get sucked in to all the 'you must have' bollox

I think in total ours was about 4k still
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    If your girls parents want to spend 25/30k on a wedding and that's what the girl wants change the girl ...find someone with more common sense.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    wants change the girl ...find someone with more common sense.
    hey, she can afford a brand new car every 3 years .... she can afford to get the kitchen/ bathroom done, she payed for the building of my garage.

She has enough common snece to make a crap load more money than me, if she and her parents want to spank a crap load of money in fairytail land ... who the hell am I to stand in the way of one single day of someones life

the way I look at it .... I get to do what I like every day, .. .I get to not eat volluvents every day ... I get to not have to listen to band play "Celebration" and "walking on sunshine" every day ..... I get to not have to cut a bit of cake whilst everyone takes pictures of you every day of my life ..... so whats one day .... where she gets to do exactly what she wants .... in this case, its seemingly what everyone expects. .. but thats "tradition"

anyway .... I am off to google £1000 wheels for a car that already has wheels ... now thats common sense

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Wedding tax is a joke these days,
    you wait till you discover Baby tax.

cotton wool pads £1 for a pack of 250
    Babyboo cotton softy face pads £3 for 20

Rides
    Congratulations firstly!

We've been to £<10k, £10+k and £20+k 'traditional' weddings, the cheapest wedding was my favourite - friends helped making cakes etc, and we used our cars as the wedding cars.

For our wedding, we were going on holiday with a group of friends to Cyprus and decided to do it while we were there. My dress was about £20, the cake was about £100, and friends paid for the after meal. The owner of the restaurant also bought us a cake as a gift - so we had two and he gave usa bottle of champagne for each one we bought. He was a wonderful guy.

I think the whole day cost less than £400 and was the best day ever. Agree with all of the comments about having the day that you both want, rather than what people decide you should have...and also only invite those you want there.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_wkd View Post
    My dress was about £20
    He is a very lucky man

Too many women wan the whole fairytale wedding which is fine if her parents are paying
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    He is a very lucky man

Too many women wan the whole fairytale wedding which is fine if her parents are paying
    He is lucky

We looked at a traditional wedding, but ended up having so many rows over what other people thought we should have (or wanted us to have) we cancelled the idea! Also, my family were not in a position to pay (and I wouldn't have been happy for them to pay anyway).

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    hey, she can afford a brand new car every 3 years .... she can afford to get the kitchen/ bathroom done, she payed for the building of my garage.

She has enough common snece to make a crap load more money than me, if she and her parents want to spank a crap load of money in fairytail land ... who the hell am I to stand in the way of one single day of someones life

the way I look at it .... I get to do what I like every day, .. .I get to not eat volluvents every day ... I get to not have to listen to band play "Celebration" and "walking on sunshine" every day ..... I get to not have to cut a bit of cake whilst everyone takes pictures of you every day of my life ..... so whats one day .... where she gets to do exactly what she wants .... in this case, its seemingly what everyone expects. .. but thats "tradition"

anyway .... I am off to google £1000 wheels for a car that already has wheels ... now thats common sense
    Doing it right jonny. Tho Vegas is how you spend 25k

Quote Originally Posted by sam_wkd View Post
    Congratulations firstly!

We've been to £<10k, £10+k and £20+k 'traditional' weddings, the cheapest wedding was my favourite - friends helped making cakes etc, and we used our cars as the wedding cars.

For our wedding, we were going on holiday with a group of friends to Cyprus and decided to do it while we were there. My dress was about £20, the cake was about £100, and friends paid for the after meal. The owner of the restaurant also bought us a cake as a gift - so we had two and he gave usa bottle of champagne for each one we bought. He was a wonderful guy.

I think the whole day cost less than £400 and was the best day ever. Agree with all of the comments about having the day that you both want, rather than what people decide you should have...and also only invite those you want there.
    He's more the lucky. My misses seems to struggle buying socks for less than 20 quid tho i think she misses the days she used to get all her clothes for free.

Tho i do like how you done the wedding mainly the fact you did it for yourselves not what the world says.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    Doing it right jonny. Tho Vegas is how you spend 25k

He's more the lucky. My misses seems to struggle buying socks for less than 20 quid tho i think she misses the days she used to get all her clothes for free.

Tho i do like how you done the wedding mainly the fact you did it for yourselves not what the world says.
    It was just a sundress - I've worn it a few times since. I think I'd miss free clothes too!

The day was really lovely, drove to the town hall, got married, had breakfast in an outside cafe, went to the hotel and changed into beachwear / picked up bubbly. Went to beach, got a bit merry, went out in the evening for a lovely meal and then on to a bar (were serenaded by karaoke lol). Rolled in slaughtered at 4am. Awesome!

Rides
    Haggle the price on everything that has the wedding tax on it like mad, you can get big discounts. Look for stuff online lots of discount there any places like wedding shows you get bent over. Anything that you can buy that's non wedding specific get as its loads cheaper. when you go to get things tell companies it for a party so you don't get ripped off. the moment they hear wedding your ****ed! Try and get family to help, there must be someone you know who likes to bake cakes, get them to make wedding cake! How about photo's? you must know someone who take pics? My mate who takes pics at bike race events did ours, if he can get awesome shots of bike doing 100mpgh a pic of people standing still will be easy!!! We were £3600 for 40 people in the day and another 60 in the evening, done it properly all day do church and nice hotel for reception evening party etc.

It was hard work but its a bit like building a car for yourself, if you do it yourself you get exactly what you want, if you go to a tuner and hand over a load of money you get what they want, it wont be personal. It will take a bit more time and effort but its worth it. Having been to various weddings that cost different amount from hundred's to unlimited budgets like £50,000+ it doesn't really make that much difference, the point about getting married is not showing off your money and getting pissed its about getting married and what that means!!!!
    Last edited by Lennie; 02-03-2015 at 09:39.

Rides
    Solved it

Ice church in Sweden while yes it's a fair drive just think of amount of people put off by the minus temps but you still get a very different wedding and would be cheaper as less guesses.

Tho i have just been told its going to be a real quicky if it minus 5 inside the icehotel

Rides
    Always loved the idea of a wedding with a mild dose of hypothermia.

Rides
    Suppose its better than a wedding with a mild does of diarrhea.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Suppose its better than a wedding with a mild does of diarrhea.
    Speeches, the cost, saying something wrong, looking like a tit, nerves, etc, etc, etc ,etc ..... Mild dose of Diarrhea is pretty much the norm for most men getting married