Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Red S13 project

Rides
    Went to a motor factor's this afternoon to get a 24mm spanner as I forgot to bring mine home from work. Undid the top PAS banjo bolt, had to hold the bit underneath with a spanner as it was just spinning. Also undid the brake servo pipe.

Then I decided to jack up the car and remove the flywheel, it's got a bit of surface rust on it now because I removed the clutch a while ago. Some sand paper will sort that out later.

Pried off gearbox plate as well. Would have done a bit more on the car but got covered in coolant from the exposed heater matrix pipes

I've ordered an exhaust from Nissan but it wont arrive until 9th June aparently
    After that arrives I'll order the last few things I need and remove the engine.

Rides
    You did what ?! last time I checked the price for a turbo back exhaust Nissan wanted 1150+vat

Rides
    I've ordered downpipe back and aparently it'll cost about 400+vat

Rides
    Oh yes. I forgot it was Prefacelift so no cat. The cat on its own is 900.

Rides
    Indeed pre-cat.

Rides
    good progress mate

Rides
    Thanks, don't feel like I'm getting anywhere yet but once I have all the parts I need I'll remove the engine and replace stuff ASAP. Would remove the engine now but my Dad doesn't want it sat in the garage awaiting parts (not much room to walk round it once its in the garage).

Rides
    You're doing a good job and that takes time. Currently I'm making a workbench for my shed so I can fit a decent woodworking vice so I can clamp the metal folder I'm about to make so I can make patches for the rear sill on Precious. Lol

Rides
    I saw a metal folder on "for the love of cars the other day" and thought that's awesome. I can't do body work so I don't think I could use one. Thanks for the comment, keeps me going. Had thought about taking the car to a body shop once the engine's out to have the turret rust sorted but I'm going to find it hard to trust someone to do a good job with it. I would hate for it to come back and look like someone's just welded a patch over it. Decisions, decisions.

Rides
    Well done for a good write up and taking lots of pictures as you go,its like how to dismantle an S body step by step
    and its nice to see a 13 not being modified so us that have pretty much ruined ours can see what we have done
    and how it was to start with

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    Well done for a good write up and taking lots of pictures as you go,its like how to dismantle an S body step by step
    and its nice to see a 13 not being modified so us that have pretty much ruined ours can see what we have done
    and how it was to start with
    Hear hear.

Rides
    Yeah I have another S13 wich I bought first and although that one was never good I ruined that more modding it so lesson learnt there lol

Rides
    whats been done to the other 13 that's been modified and now is ruined?,can't it be put back to stock spec?

Rides
    It was bad to start with even to look at, rust going down the door and such things, it's done over 100K miles. I have this red one at the back of my drive so I'm not bothered about sorting the rust out on my daily 13. It's stage 2 so if a new owner wanted they could return to stock but I wouldn't bother. It's just ruined when comparing to this red one lol

Rides
    well that reads as a well ok car tbh and far from ruined ,,I mean mine is ruined to a purist, no interior,no creature comforts
    but I like the whole road legal race car thing, I tried many a standard car and it ended up modded or sold
    still nice to see the standard car tho ,

Rides
    Thanks, this red one is going to stay standard. That's how I like it.

Rides
    Removed the starter motor.

Disconnected the O/S engine loom.

Disconnected the fuel lines to the engine and undid the engine mount bolts.

The engine is now ready to come out. My engine crane is locked away in my BF's garage and he's away today but hopefully when he's back tomorrow I can go and get it and lift the engine out tomorrow. If not it'll be sometime next week. I just hope the engine crane will fit in my daily S13

Rides
    I've had an engine crane in the S13, Danielle.

IIRC, I had to take the passenger headrest off, slide the seat forward and tip the seatback back then run it through the back into the passenger footwell. Anything up to 2.5m length will go in that way as long as its less than 400mm by 200mm

Rides
    It went in, mine must be shorter than your's as I didn't have to take headrest off. Trouble is I forgot to pick up the harnesses for tying round the engine, DOH

Rides
    Removed front reg plate so my engine crane didn't break it and lifted the engine out with the help of my Dad to steady it as it came out. Used my BF's TRS harnesses to lift engine with, we've used them a few times now and they work well lol.

Then I went to work to grab my engine stand bolts for the CA, only to find 2 of them missing from the top of my toolbox. I'll be having words with people tomorrow about that. GRRRRRRR. So came back home and borrowed 2 bolts off my Dad but they were mega long so had to space them out with big nuts so not ideal but as it's Sunday nowhere is open to get bolts from. Also had to remove the turbo elbow to get the bottom stand bolts in.

And engine on the stand.

Next I need to strip it down and clean the engine bay. Getting excited