Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Monkey/Sideways

Rides

For Monkey/Sideways

If you've not yet seen

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02...thernet_cable/

Got £6,899 (US$10,500) to spare and worried that a Cat-6 Ethernet cable is keeping you from hearing the very best of your NAS-stored collection of MP3s?

Fear not, your moment has come, with this work of wonder from Audio Quest.

El Reg notes that the advertisement indicates the age of Audio Quest's engineers. Since the super-Ethernet cable represents “a lifetime's research”, and the first twisted pair Ethernet standard, 10Base-T, was published in 1990, the relevant engineers are 25 years old, max.

“This really is a 'money no object' cable for the dedicated Hi-Fi enthusiast that has extended into a world of digital audio sources,” the puffery continues.

Pay close attention to how you plug in the “ultra-performance RJ45 connector made from silver”, because these are directional Ethernet cables (apparently in ignorance that in the digital sphere, frames travel both way on the cables).

“The beating heart of the AudioQuest Diamond are the Solid 100% Silver Perfect Surface conductors where raw silver is processed by drawing through at a much slower speed than normal to create an ultra-smooth surface area free of indents and grooves.”

The insulation generates an electrostatic field “which reduces energy storage and non-linear time delays to a minimum,” because the designers are worried that ordinary plastic insulation might slow down the signal.

No, Vulture South doesn't know what that signifies either. But we're keen to try on in the data centre.

Rides
    If they were over 25, they'd be listening to Jazz

Rides
    Er...
    So ... if i spunk a supercars worth of £££s on a 300meter run of this i can link up a couple of our buildings with old fashioned electricy bits going between the two...

Ohh wait there directional, so i need to spend the same again on the opposite direction... heck thats my Veyron out the window on the IT budget this year.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Er...
    So ... if i spunk a supercars worth of £££s on a 300meter run of this i can link up a couple of our buildings with old fashioned electricy bits going between the two...

Ohh wait there directional, so i need to spend the same again on the opposite direction... heck thats my Veyron out the window on the IT budget this year.
    Almost every IT guy with a budget spends over 50% of his time dreaming about how he could syphon off 10% of his budget to buy a garage full of Veyrons, Ferraris, Lambos....

and the rest of his time researching cool sounding buzz words like "dark fibre" and wavelength-division multiplexing
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 09-02-2015 at 13:04.

Rides
    Now i see where i have been going wrong with packet loss and discards over the years, i am not burning my cables in...

http://www.russandrews.com/product-C...ice-BURNIN.htm

Duh... what a noob mistake, i guess i should start again and this time do an A+

Rides
    Now i see where i have been going wrong with packet loss and discards over the years, i am not burning my cables in...

So, you lend them a cable and they use it extensively for 3 days then send it bck to you and you pay them for it.

Keeeewwwwllll

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    So, you lend them a cable and they use it extensively for 3 days then send it bck to you and you pay them for it.

Keeeewwwwllll
    Actually, I think it's £15 extra for second-hand cables?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtone View Post
    if it bring the price of fuel down Brown better be up a tree taking one up the arse
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Why?

If Dignitas gave you a discount for going early... would you?

Rides
    Just been watching a video of them testing a "posh" hdmi cable in there quality control shed, they use a machine that squirts data down it (through two cheep looking adapters!) and happily state that it recieved all the transmitted bits... er no shit Sherlock... i can get a piece of damp goat pube to do the same.

I have a 1500 quid network tester here, can i spray my bulk 1m drop leads silver and gold and sell them for 299 notes with a picture of it validated..????

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post

and the rest of his time researching cool sounding buzz words like "dark fibre" and wavelength-division multiplexing
    Erm I have researched DWDM Dense Wave Division Multiplex and had a Dark Fibre installation at my last job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides

I'd like them to put their cable up against Krone Tru- net! Guaranteed Zero bit error rate

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a;

I have a 1500 quid network tester here, can i spray my bulk 1m drop leads silver and gold and sell them for 299 notes with a picture of it validated..????
    Can it reorder packets to simulate varying Network issues?

Rides
    God knows, its quite old now, has lots of options and runs windows ce...
    It can print out a certificate so i am about to flood ebay with expensive drop cables, i will do a group buy on the sxoc though at a discount for £199 quid for 1mtr gold ones (paint from halfords)

Rides
    Erm I have researched DWDM Dense Wave Division Multiplex and had a Dark Fibre installation at my last job

I'd like them to put their cable up against Krone Tru- net! Guaranteed Zero bit error rate

Can it reorder packets to simulate varying Network issues?

Were you sacked from your last job for trying to siphon funds into your AM account ?

Rides
    Brings to mind my trip to Richer sounds last Friday only in a somewhat magnified fashion - A guy was refusing to buy a £25 optical connect cable on the grounds that it was too cheap to be any good for music while the sales guy (Who wasn't even egging him on) tried to keep a straight face

Rides
    I love that the cable companies are still trying it on, in the digital age.

Rides
    I am thinking of buying a 3 grand micro usb power cable for my new pi(2)... will make it run 50% faster due to the 1's being sharper and the 0's being rounder apparently.

Rides
    I am thinking of buying a 3 grand micro usb power cable for my new pi(2)... will make it run 50% faster due to the 1's being sharper and the 0's being rounder apparently.
    I've always dreamed of rounder 0's maybe they should have used the letter "o" that's much less elliptical

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Italicised 0s are easier to right shift across a register as they are already leaning that way. Always have been.

Rides
    Lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    Lol
    Yay ! Where the hell have you been ?!

Still got the Z3 ?