Thread: s14a starting problems

Rides

s14a starting problems

Strange one past few days when starting my car a few times I've tried to start it when I go to turn the car over nothing happens lights go off on the dash then I turn it off try again the lights come on then go off I got it started today by shaking the gear lever in neutral flicking the window trigger up and down and putting the wipers on and off then it finally started I tested the battery before it started and it read 11.9v which I think ismore than enough to get it to start its doing my head in I've checked to see if the cables damaged above the wheel in the arch and alls good there no rubbling etc so its a head scratching time any ideas anybody would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Rides
    the batt should show 12v but if its clicking the and everything is cutting off it sounds like a high resistance contact. clean the battery terminals and starter motor wires. and check the 72a fuse in the engine bay.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    The problem appearing in cold weather suggests the battery is dying, and this may be the case.

But your first line says that engine did not even turn over, and the dash lights went out.
    All the electricity that goes through the starter, then has to pass through the engine, and through the earth cable to the body. Check that cable

Wiggling the gear lever nad playing with windows and wipers is an interesting diagnostic technique
    However, a general wiggling does mean it's a loose or poor connection somewhere, and if it's nobbling the starter completely, the earth cable from the engine is where I would look first.
    I think it goes from engine to the bodyshell, somewhere near the engine bay fuse box.

EDIT: as LED sandwich above, it could easily be the live side too. There is a muliplug near the battery positive terminal. Make sure that is still plugged in tight. It can come loose.

Rides
    I tightened all the connections a few months ago and cleaned all the earthing points on the manifold and battery tray its definitely a strange one it started first time this morning and even started first time tonight even in the snow there was no problems

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    I tightened all the connections a few months ago
    Why?
    Whatever you were doing a few months ago, probably links to your starting problems over the last few days.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    even in the snow there was no problems
    This isn't snow related It has to be a loose connection.

Your first line suggests that (when the problem happened) the dash lights turned on with the key in ignition position, and then went off when you keyed to start the engine.
    It has to be a wobbly electrical connection , either live to the starter, or earth from the engine to the body.

Rides
    I tighten all the connections and cleaned the earthing points as my stereo speakers were making popping noise which i thought would be fron a poor earth and after doung that the speakers werr fine

Rides
    Did you have the radio out at all? You might have a short somewhere behind the centre console- wiggling the gear stick might of moved the wires and stopped the short.

Rides
    No havent had the stereo out in 10yrs since i brought it

Rides
    still reckon Jon is right - loose connection - recheck the earth and +ve

Rides
    Loose connections are not common on S14s (except where humans have done modifications to Nissan's robot originals), but if cleaning and/or tightening connections helped with a stereo problem a few months ago, maybe there is an issue with loose connections on your car.

Engines failing to turn over, and the dash lights going dim, always means a flat battery.
    Except when wiggling the gearlever fixes it

Maybe a dying starter motor. These are also not common, but there have been a few cases this year.
    Common wisdom is to hit the starter with a hammer, but I am now wondering whether gearstick wiggling gives a mild version of the hammer effect :maybe:

Rides
    Happened again this morning wouldnt start rattled the gear stick and it started then tonight it started no problems at all so I've had a look underneath tonight and it looks like power steering fluid has been leaking so I wondering if its got in to starter motor connections and is causing it to make and break the connection when trying to start

Rides
    Quick update, problem is now solved well seems that way not had any problems starting the past 3 days turns out there's a hole in my indicator an when I took it off it was full of water emptied it dried it out refitted it and touch wood no problems since so hopefully happy days

Rides
    Water in an indicator stopped the engine from starting ?
    Sorry pal, but I'm not going along with that one

I'm trying to think what links there are between indicator or any other lighting circuits and the engine, but there's nothing relevant.
    You may still have troubles to come

Rides
    I spoke to soon problem happened again this morning scratching my head with this one just thought it was funny that for 3 days after cleaning and drying out the indicator it was fine but obviously thats not the problem as it was bone dry this morning so back to square one

Rides
    Had the afternoon on my car today and think I've found the culprit that's been causing me all this grief I got the drivers side wheel off and upon checking the wires that run above the wheel I found that when I had the ignition wire repaired a year ago, the so called mechanic had joined the wire with 2 connector blocks and what I can gather it looks like water has got in an the connectors have started rusting which I believe was limiting the power running through it an failing it to start so i repaired it and it fired up first time so let's hope this is all sorted now. Thanks for all the advice above i appreciate it.