Thread: Any split rim experts?

Rides

Any split rim experts?

Morning all,

I've got an LS400 that I'm VIP'ing up a bit, I've acquired 2 slightly different pairs of 19" 3 piece split rims, the rear pair are SSR Vienna and the other are unbranded but very similar.

The fronts are 8j -43 offset (yes, -43) and the rears are 10j and from looking at them in the region of +10 offset.

The fronts stick out from the arches a bit too much for me and the rears not enough. I've taken one wheel from each pair apart (and I'm aware that offset is based on more than the centre piece and how thick it is where it bolts to the hubs) with a mind to swapping the centres just to reduce the front offset a little. I've measured up and it's come down a bit and the rear has increased a touch also - all desirable so that's all good.

There is a problem, however. The centre pieces use different size/diameter bolts. The centres fit in the slot in the barrels perfectly and in that sense the swap is fine, however the holes on the rims/barrels on the front set are smaller than the holes in the centres that come from the rear set. So, my question is, do you think I can get away with drilling them out (we're talking 1 or 2mm here) to accommodate the larger bolts?

In my mind, it should be fine, the bolts are for holding the pieces together horizontally rather than providing the strength across the diameter. That, to me, comes from the face fitting inside the barrel. A) with regards to the strength, I don't know if that's factually correct and B) I'm worried I've got rose tinted glasses on in that I want these rims on the car really badly.

Anyone confirm or deny any of this?

Thanks for any help.

Rides
    Providing the PCD / spacing is the same (ie the centre point of each hole is the same, and you have enough meat left Id go for it. Perhaps post some pictures showing the difference.

If you have to do it, use a drill press to stop it wobbling all over the place as you drill.

Or just buy some new barrels, there is a company I plan on using who do lips/barrels for about €200+ each, custom made too. I can't remember off the top of my head but I can find them if you are interested.

Rides
    I'd get them drilled so they're all the same size and use new nuts/bolts.

Rides
    Ratgreen, you've hit the nail on the head, the PCD/spacing is the same the bolts literally just won't go through the hole. There is what I would deem to be plenty of meat remaining.

I think I'll just employ a little more patience and wait until I've got some more money, I'll take them to the machine shop and see if there's anything they can do.

Rides
    most split rims use either m7 or m8 bolts? so i guess you have one set of each. I wouldnt imagine it would be a problem having all the 7mm holes enlarged to 8mm.

Rides
    Also you can get a cheap drill press for like £50, I got mine for £30 brand new lol, so might be worth doing yourself. By the time you have paid the machinist you could have bought custom lips and barrels for the same money.

Rides
    It should be fine if you get it done properly ... I wouldn't have a crack at it myself but that's just me.

Ask around for any cnc miller companies