Thread: 1990 UK 200sx S13 CA18DET Turbo Fuel Cut, Cold Whistle,Splutter is this a Boost Leak?

Rides

1990 UK 200sx S13 CA18DET Turbo Fuel Cut, Cold Whistle,Splutter is this a Boost Leak?

Hi peeps need some help, I have a 1990's UK 200sx S13 running a completly standard CA18DET but with a 3" Decat back exhaust. Now I know that adding any form of air flow modification is going to give you some form of overboost fuel cut which I have had and noticed especially when cold. but then then soon turned into a cold whistle when boosting now I dont usually boost my car hard when cold but I needed to heir it a few times and it was only present when cold. At first I was thinking maybe it could be a small boost leak from one of the turbo gaskets as they have probably never been replaced before. Now my boost has gone worse! my car used to pull like a train and spit flames and pop like mad. But now when I hit between 4000-6000 revs my boost dies and It makes a spluttering noise a bit like a fuel cut but not a harsh snap it just stops boosting/pulling and I have to change gear. what are my options to diagnose this and order the right parts? either Gaskets? inlet pipework/intercooler, ECU, Spark Plugs, Coil packs, or has my turbo gone? not noticed any smoke although maybe I'm being paranoid but my car smells rich and sweet like oily sweet but like I say no smoke I dont think. All I need to know is if someone has had simular problems and can give me some pointers as to where I should look first or common symptoms of parts failier. This car is my daily so it needs sorting for that reason as well as wanting to get some track practice in ASAP. Cheers please help me!

Rides
    Please Excuse my England

Rides
    Air flow meter(afm) try cleaning it with carb/brake cleaner , next i'd look for a boost leak on the inter cooler pipework.. Do you have a boost gauge? What boost are you seeing...

Rides
    sounds legit I will have a look at that and no boost controller as of yet but I know for a fact I'm not hitting factory 7psi anymore but previously was boosting nice and was really pulling well in all gears

Rides
    There is no boost cut on the UK S13, there is a hard fuel cut.
    When you hit fuel cut it will feel like your head is going to smash through the windscreen, very violent.

You probably have a boost leak and/or a knackered fuel pump and/or a dirty maf.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by heavysmokerj View Post
    I know for a fact I'm not hitting factory 7psi anymore
    I think it's supposed to be 10psi stock???