Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gear Series 22

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Yep, Im on another webboard that is intensely left wing and in 20 odd pages theres barely a good word about him, although TBF anything thats establishment (monarchy, politicians, police, armed forces, bankers, anyone with more than £100 to their name, anyone who doesnt not spit after saying Thatchers name etc.) gets immediately slated so its hardly surprising.
    Driftworks? :P

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-B View Post
    Driftworks? :P

Rides
    This has escalated... quickly

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie_ View Post
    The show had its moments, I don't think its been the same in years since they really struck a chord as a presenting group and had the winning combination of writers and producers behind it.

Don't forget, the writers, researchers and producers are the ones that really make this show - they come up with the concepts and do all of the legwork to make it happen. I'm sure the presenters had a role to play in this process but to say JC was the sole contributor would be a little simplistic and naive.

They £150M a year figure being banded around by the media is nothing but a headline - Yes the show made loads of money, yes its sold the world over blah blah blah. All of the finances are far more complicated than that, with BBC Worldwide and the Bedder6 buyout years ago I can't help but feel JC felt like he was being given the heave-ho, sold up his stakes and has jumped ship at an opportune moment (created perhaps unwittingly by his frankly ****ing ridiculous ego) to ride a wave onto the shoulders of whoever is stupid enough to think spewing cash into his pockets will net them a good return.

I think the characters that developed up to their crescendo a few years back, when the specials were interesting and the general chit chat and tasks were entertaining totally solidified their position as TV gold. What happened after that is hard to say - I always felt that some TV executive keen for financial success demanded they egg JC's "character" on to be more of a grumpy outspoken old man, keeping just the right amount of 'banter' - it just got weird and the harder they all tried to play their roles (Outspoken JC, excitable midget Hammond and captain slow) the more lame it became. None of it felt genuine at all and then when it got a bit too real the BBC would backtrack and try to distance themselves from it. You can see why that might end up with the cast getting a bit frustrated.

This most recent series was alright, the features were better and i genuinely laughed at some of the ambulance stuff - for the most part it was still too 'try hard' and stilted but I guess the mainstream audience were happy to watch it unfold like some sort of vaguely car focused pantomime. I liked the premise, i loved the show, I even liked the presenters for the most part but more and more I found myself groaning at the predictable outcomes and opinions of the cast, the ****ing god awful news section and the tedious challenges.

A new cast, some fresh thinking and return to unscripted genuine caravan racing, hilux bashing mayhem and I'll welcome the new era of Top Gear. Otherwise I'm happy to let it slip into obscurity, Dave reruns and exports to Saudi Arabia on BBC Worldwide.
    You haven't given Clarkson enough credit, since he wrote most of the scripts etc

Rides
    Anyways. for everyone moaning about Top Gear - it could get a lot worse. Word has it that Mike Brewer has thrown his hat into the ring.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Anyways. for everyone moaning about Top Gear - it could get a lot worse. Word has it that Mike Brewer has thrown his hat into the ring.
    He's admitted it was just a joke and has distanced himself from the vacant position.

Rides
    You haven't given Clarkson enough credit, since he wrote most of the scripts etc
    What I was getting at is, it takes more than one man to make the show. But if he has had the sole responsibility for the scripts then its definitely time for him to duck out, smacking co-workers or not.

Rides
    If Brewer got the job, the producers, all production staff and the Stig, would all queue up to punch him...

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Any presenters that take the roll(s) will have to be either brave or unknown as they are doomed to fail imo.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I don't think thats necessarily true, people are always afraid of change.

If the new presenters are put in place to mimic JC, May and Hammond that would be a terrible mistake, but its not like they are the only three guys in the world capable of driving cars and taking the piss out of each other. I'd rather three new presenters come on and put their own twist on the general idea of dicking about in cars with some friends.

Rides
    I hope to god it won't be Chris Harris. His accent boils my piss.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie_ View Post
    I don't think thats necessarily true, people are always afraid of change.

If the new presenters are put in place to mimic JC, May and Hammond that would be a terrible mistake, but its not like they are the only three guys in the world capable of driving cars and taking the piss out of each other. I'd rather three new presenters come on and put their own twist on the general idea of dicking about in cars with some friends.
    Yeah. What about those blokes that did "3 men in a boat" ? That would be just as good. One of them used to be a comedian too so its bound to be a right laugh...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Yeah. What about those blokes that did "3 men in a boat" ? That would be just as good. One of them used to be a comedian too so its bound to be a right laugh...
    I liked 3 men in a boat!

Rides
    Word has it that Mike Brewer has thrown his hat into the ring.
    And someone should throw it right back at him, with a brick inside.

Rides
    Please don't utter that absolute filth in here. Bellend Brewer has no place on the SXOC.

Rides
    For me, the show desperately needs another reboot. Can't argue that it's not making money, so it's just my opinion. I watch it because I like the cinematography and hope for a good episode, but this series was dire.

Rides
    I just had a brainwave. TG needs a more feminine, PC(?) face.
    I present you........Suzi Perry!!!
    Oh and why not Keith Vaz too

Rides
    If you got anyone else in they'd have to be a comedian IMO, no-one is going to want to watch another generic presenter doing the show.
    It'd have to be someone that would make people laugh, otherwise it'd fall on it's arse.

Peter Kay and Paddy McGuinness would be a laugh, especially in character as Max and Paddy

or Lucas and Walliams - have them act several different roles per episode.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    If you got anyone else in they'd have to be a comedian IMO, no-one is going to want to watch another generic presenter doing the show.
    It'd have to be someone that would make people laugh, otherwise it'd fall on it's arse.

Peter Kay and Paddy McGuinness would be a laugh, especially in character as Max and Paddy

or Lucas and Walliams - have them act several different roles per episode.
    Jesus, Paddy McGuinness is a knob.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    I guess if its not your thing you could just watch the DVDs and reruns over and over. Maybe cut their faces out of old magazines to put inside your locket.

Here's a recent photo of the team before the break up for you..

Good old boys