Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a plumbers vehicle

Rides
    Mario Kart?

Rides
    Cheers good advice guys.
    Journey wise seens how I live in Lancashire there'll be no cities. Small towns yes, and short trips, small lanes and hard work parking no doubt, hence why I'm thinking estate car instead of 4x4.
    Security wise, I doubt it'll get broken in to where we live as its nice and quiet, and there's plenty of vans up the drives on our street loaded with tools no doubt. I dunno if I'll sign write it as my bro in law hasn't had to do that and he's plenty busy

Rides
    Subaru legacy any good?

Rides
    My 3.0 surf only does about 20 mpg at best... but then my 13 plate Ford ranger only averages 21

Rides
    I think for a first vehicle for it I'm gonna get an avensis estate then and black out the rear windows and remove rear seats, depEnding how flat they go. I might even put some thin ply or steel over the rear windows on inside, but I seriously doubt it'll get broken in to where I live

Rides
    Legacys are very good, so is the Avensis and Accord, but for hero points there is always the Stagea! Also, when you say it won't get broken in to, are you planning on leaving tools/materials in it overnight? If so, why risk it?

Rides
    Stagea is a good shout as the rear seats fold almost completely flat and the load space is massive. 2 of us camped out in mine on a long stag weekend and both managed to sleep comfortably in the back.

You will struggle to get near 20mpg though if that's an issue

Rides
    Be surprised how much fuel an Avensis can do away with. I'd be getting a Focus or Mondeo estate in a diesel format myself.

Rides
    Nah I'm not buying a Ford again. The last focus diesel I bought the Mrs,,,,, the starter was on fire on the drive....
    Stagea no as I doubt it could be had cheap. My budget was 1500, but I might drop it down to a lot less, as firstly I've seen the price avensis start at now.... £600, and secondly, what's the point of spending a whack, just to tear back seats out, possibly put ply on the rear windows, then mess it all up with dirty tools in and out...

As for leaving tools in, my bro in law started out unloading everything at night, but says u soon cba with that and getting it all back in in morning. Where we live tho, I seriously seriously doubt it'd get broken in to. Plus people won't be able to see in as I may try and ply behind the two front seats, or curtain

Rides
    Nothing says customer confidence like turning up in a ratter dude.

Rides
    If you think stuff won't get nicked because you're in a quiet area, you may be in for a nasty surprise.
    I live in a quiet, rural village, a good distance from large towns etc, and the number of garage and car break-ins we get is proper nasty.

Rides
    Yep thieves like to go to the quite places as they know people are more relaxed and less people about to interrupt them.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    I'd get a bipper on lease hire 99 quid a month.and good on fuel,looks better than turning up with a bogged up old banger and you can fit a badass tool locker

Rides
    What's a bipper?

Anyway where we live, the policeman next door neighbour was only saying the other day that this area has a very very very low crime rate, amongst the lowest in Lancashire. Nothing gets nicked here seriously

Rides
    Must be full of shite then

This is a bipper

Citroen do a version with an even stupider name, the Nemo

Oh and you can do this in them

Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Nothing says customer confidence like turning up in a ratter dude.
    So you think having a smart vehicle is worth while when self employed then?
    I recently bought a 04 shogun to try and look a bit more presentable but would happily spend the money on a digger or new mx bike and drive about in my shitty old l200.

Rides
    As I have always been in a trade (electrician) my experience has been to put more faith in the guy who turns up in the old shitter. they tend to care more about what they do rather than what they look like.

the 12-day-wwonder-course lot that have spunked their redundancy on a "trade" tend to rock up in a new lease van whereas the real craftsmen who have the experience don't waste their money (or the customers on new vans)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    As I have always been in a trade (electrician) my experience has been to put more faith in the guy who turns up in the old shitter. they tend to care more about what they do rather than what they look like.

the 12-day-wwonder-course lot that have spunked their redundancy on a "trade" tend to rock up in a new lease van whereas the real craftsmen who have the experience don't waste their money (or the customers on new vans)
    Good stuff then. So I'll disguise my 12 week wonderness with an old avensis estate then
    I think your right tho. My bro in laws astra van is a cheap old p.o.s. that I had to jump start for him again today, but he still has customer's. So no flashy new van for him, or for me.
    Besides, an old avensis won't break down like my father in laws brand new Citroen van etc..

Rides
    Haha I might go back to a shitter then. It is a pita having to be carefull and look after a vehicle.
    But then heated leather seats and 160 hp with auto is also nice.

Rides
    How would an old bmw estate hold up to daily plumbing abuse?