Thread: HM Government Issue E-Petition For A Mandatory Noise Complaint Waiver

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides

HM Government Issue E-Petition For A Mandatory Noise Complaint Waiver

Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Done. Good cause.

Rides
    Needed something like this for ages. Signed, and missus has too.

Rides
    Signed, people need to be checked in the head if they move close to a circuit, major road or motorway or even an airport then complain about the noise. Idiots! Will share on fb

Rides
    I feel a small (but only a very small) amount of sympathy for people who lived on the doorstep of Rockingham when it was built but for all the moaning minnie's round places like Oulton Park and Mallory I just want to choke 'em with their own Burberry scarves

Rides
    Done

Rides
    See this a few days ago and signed it then
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by britcar24
    The UK Government Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs has released an extremely important e-petition designed to protect the motorsport industry in the UK.
    Whilst the above is total BS (it was started by some random biker), I've still signed it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Whilst the above is total BS (it was started by some random biker), I've still signed it.
    As I understand it, you have to submit a petition to a government department (in this case DEFRA) who then release it so maybe a little misleading but not total BS.

If the petition is unreasonable or derogatory, the Gov Dept won't release it.

Rides
    Were around 400 sigs when i signed it, now over 13k.

Anyone know how many you need for it to be listened to?
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Were around 400 sigs when i signed it, now over 13k.

Anyone know how many you need for it to be listened to?
    Thought it was 100k for automatic consideration

Rides
    IIRC, 100K sigs means it has to be discussed in parliament.

< 100K and it can still be submitted to the government department.

Rides
    Done will ask the lads at work to sign it also :-).

@ 25K now

Rides
    Signed And the missus too! This is very important!

Rides
    Here's the reasons - main ones anyway - I didn't touch it with barge pole

Quote Originally Posted by arry
    Quote Originally Posted by vtectom
    Why?
    Well the reasons are numerous, but let's stick to the main ones:

1) e-Petitions are a ridiculous, innefective and lazy way of petitioning; not helped by often being poorly written, ill thought out and having no end goal other than to 'ban this' or similar which would be a completely unworkable 'solution' (I'll call it a solution but really it's a suggestion that would never be approved or be in a bit state to be approved)

Almost half of petition requests submitted to the site by the public are rejected before they reach publication stage. When it promises that "if you collect more than 100,000 signatures, your e-petition could be debated in the House of Commons", few realise the weight of significance behind the word "could". Many petitions exceed this threshold and lead to no debate. In reality, they are passed to the backbench where, in the absence of an MP with a reason to champion the cause, they suffer death by committee. Of course, if you happen to move in the same social circles as an MP, you could just bypass the task of convincing 100,000 people a cause is right and convince just the one.

Directgov not only creates false expectations, it actually puts a stopper in campaigns. It may have replaced faked signatures with the convenience and reliability of a digital age, but for a campaigner this comes at a high price. When thousands of people put their name to a cause on Directgov, this data becomes the sole property of the government – whose very actions they are challenging. Even in the rare case of success, the person who started the petition has no way to inform those who signed it, never mind mobilise this mass base of supporters to take a campaign forward.
    2) This bit really peeves me

There are innumerate cases of people knowingly moving within close proximity of motorsport venues, only to try to have their planning permission revoked or have them closed completely when they take exception to the noise.
    O RLY? U Y NO EG? Innumerate cases, no examples. Is that because, actually, the facts aren't quite as clear cut as the writer would have you believe? For example in the case of Mallory Park (which, let's be honest, is really about the only example that's even remotely credible to use as to my recent memory there's no others that have been at immediate threat due to noise nuisance complainants - even Brands Hatch which backs onto housing estates doesn't have this issue and has more action days than Mallory, too) - were the complainants complaining about the noise specifically, or something else? Well let's have a look:

Kirkby Mallory residents complained that the previous operators of Mallory Park had increased the number and duration of events in recent years.
    The simple facts are that Mallory's nearby residents didn't take exception to the noise - they took exception to the track operators deliberately and consistently breaching their planning permission and not taking the resultant noise complaints seriously. If they'd have continued to act within their permissions and not been so nonchalant then the outcome would have been somewhat different.

So what this comes down to then, is not a simple case of not putting up with the noise, but a case of the motor racing circuit operator thinking it was more important than local residents in its use and enjoyment of the area, deliberately ignoring planning rules, and creating a noise nuisance that went on for longer, more often than they were permitted to, without consultation. Does that sound fair?

It's the equivalent of moving next to a quiet airfield, only to have them expand into a Gatwick sized operation without consulting anyone.

3) The outcome of the e-Petition as proposed a) wouldn't fly anyway and b) would be to protect one type of business operation from legal liability to Nuisance in tort. Why would you be so naive, single minded and petty to believe that a motor racing circuit is as important if not more so than an airport or a train station, for example? To bring about a change in law to protect a motor racing circuit has with it extremely dangerous precedence.

It's not a long way off me buying up the Victorian terraced house to the side of you, and building a 2 storey extension right to the boundary that takes all of your natural light from your kitchen and dining room - and then saying 'well, if you wanted light and views you should have bought a house in the country; you must have seen that something like this could happen' and then me being protected in law because I've been perfectly reasonable.

Anyway, stupid petition is stupid.

Rides
    Well, apart from Mallory, I know that Lyddon Hill over the last 15 years has been the subject of several attempts to close it, it has had its no of operating days cut and is now allowed very few 100Db + days.

All planning permission to develop pit garages and put in permanent start lights and plans to extend the track length and use it for testing have been blocked by the local NIMBYs too.

I think its very easy to say "Waste of time" but at least they're doing something and not just taking it lying down.

Always glad to hear of a (realistically achievable) better way to stop the stupidity that allows people to buy a place with an existing situation then try to make a killing by removing the "problem" and selling on.

Rides
    Someone objected to me putting a pitch on my new garage roof - garage has always been there (well since 66) but I wanted to rebuild it 3 feet taller. No kittens would have been killed.

How is that any different?

I'd like to hear the specifics of Lydden Hill though, if you have them.