Thread: quick timing belt question and rear lights

Rides

quick timing belt question and rear lights

evening all

got a question regarding the markings for lining up the cams and pulleys, basically the engine is misfiring(after a minor rebuild) and after doing all the usual checks and sorted a few things its not as bad but its still missing, so ive taken off the cam covers and the timing is off in relation to the factory markings
    but as well as the factory markings someone has painted on their own timings marks that are nowhere near the factory markings.

so which should i be following?

also do rear lights on an s13 differ in fitment like using lights from an 89 on a 93? as mine dont fit flush at all yet the original lights did

Rides
    Use the factory engine marks for timing and timing gun for setting the cas

Yes lights are the same

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mospin View Post
    Use the factory engine marks for timing and timing gun for setting the cas

Yes lights are the same
    cheers dude it just threw me when i seen them, im still wondering why someone would add different markings though

Rides
    some people if for example are changing the waterpump mark the belt up and remove it so it can be put back on the same way as for your lights post a pic up i think the only lights that are different are the koukis and aftermarket ones.

Rides
    i didnt think about that
    the lights are certainly standard and ive checked that the bolts are all the way through so yeah, ill put some pics of the lights up tomorrow afternoon
    cheers

Rides
    Because the edges are plastic the heat / weather has got to them over the years causing bad fitment but may be wrong

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    Do not use the factory markings, line up the crank pulley on it's mark and count 48 teeth to the exhaust cam and then a further 39 to the inlet.

Rides
    ah sorry thats what i sorter ment by the factory markings on the crank pulley but i use the markings on the backing plate too then count the teeth and adjust just find it easier that why .

Rides
    Re: the lights.. is it possible you have standard lights but Kouki trim ? The long metal strip that runs under the lights is different on kouki models.

The other possibility is that the rear's has had a bump or some welding work that has moved the rear panels relative to one another so your lights don't fit.

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    Should have said, write it down and sick it somewhere you can see it before you start. That way you won't think was it 48, 39 or 49,38 and then convince yourself the second one is correct.

No, I don't know anyone who did that.

Rides
    Don't forget to spin the motor over a couple of times, and double check everything.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Don't forget to spin the motor over a couple of times, and double check everything.
    ...by hand

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Re: the lights.. is it possible you have standard lights but Kouki trim ? The long metal strip that runs under the lights is different on kouki models.

The other possibility is that the rear's has had a bump or some welding work that has moved the rear panels relative to one another so your lights don't fit.
    its a uk model, and i havent really looked into it this week as its misfiring still

Rides
    little update ive redone the timing belt and im still misfiring. im fairly certain ive got the timing correct, i set the belt using the lower timing mark(on crank pulley) then set the cams to tdc then i counted the teeth and all correct. so ill put up another thread regarding that

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by fulham4eva View Post
    its a uk model, and i havent really looked into it this week as its misfiring still
    Doesn't matter if its a UK model. If someone has fitted Kouki lights at some point they will have fitted the lower panel too.

If someone else removed the Koukis, they may not have realised they needed to remove the lower panel too.