Thread: Wheel Refurb

Rides

Wheel Refurb

Hello

Just after some advice, the wife has “put” her mark on my only good alloy left and its time they got a refurb I think.

I have a quote for a strip and powder coat then paint for 65+vat from My alloys in Bristol (anyone used them?).
    What reviews I have seen look good and a years guarantee. The process he said takes apex four days
    Is this a good price?

You also have these guys that come to your house and do it for £50 odd a wheel. What are they doing? Any one had this service.

I noticed on one of the wheels I have some bubbling on the spoke. Is a strip down my only option any way? They have been refurbed in the past.

Wheels are on a black e46 m3…. Any ideas on colour? Was thinking dark gun metal pretty boring but they don’t look dirty for a while.

Not keen going full drug dealer with black wheels as well.

Cheers

Rides
    I thought yours looked pretty cool with the colour they were, or are you set on a change? My 19's are in a pretty bad state but I'm still holding off getting a refurb, from what I read it's not cheap to get the factory finish re-done but I do love the shiny shiny

Rides
    My preference would be for a strip and powdercoat, the guys who come round to your house just sand out the damage, give it a bit of a key and paint over the old paint. It wouldn't last long IMO.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chavbo View Post
    I thought yours looked pretty cool with the colour they were, or are you set on a change? My 19's are in a pretty bad state but I'm still holding off getting a refurb, from what I read it's not cheap to get the factory finish re-done but I do love the shiny shiny
    your right diamond cutting is expensive and hard to keep it like that for long....I cant be bothered... not set on the gun metal thing as i do like the finish I have too. I think its called hyper silver or black i dont know. Is a change as good as a rest???

I m definatly up for them being done properly then

Rides
    Only thing I've found with powdercoating wheels is that it can be hard to get a paint match so you can touch in any damage to stop it getting worse.

Rides
    Lepsons are the favourite place for BMW wheels, as they do a good job of getting original colours.

£60 per wheel is pretty reasonable. I would check if they are all strait and true, without any cracks before handing them over, as it can be annoying if you get them all dropped off then have to go and get them and search for new wheels. :-)

Rides
    Mine have been powder coated a gun metal type colour for reference.

Rides
    That's a good point - I'm not sure if it's something these wheels are prone to, but one of my 19s had a small crack so definitely worth checking if the tyres are off.

Rides
    Would'nt do it myself. Would send them off and have them done properly.

Rides
    Pretty well all OEM BMW wheels, in particular those with runflats are seen commonly with cracks. It's a total pain in the neck, as a former owner of a recent(ish) BMW with a cracked wheel.

They're not all certain to be ruined by any means, but it's expensive is you post them off to get refinishes, or take a day off or something like that to drop them off, only to find they cant be done

Rides
    Hmmmm food for thought ....I don't have any other wheels so they have the car for that time

Rides
    I like gun metal, how about bronze? always a winner on a black car

Rides
    I've had loads of bits powder coated by a guy near cosham hospital in Bristol.He specializes in motor bikes & wheels.Pm me if you want details.