Thread: electric conversion?

Rides

electric conversion?

Anyone ever done one or starting one?

I''ve seen a few people have done rx8 ones. It looks like a lot less fab work as they seem to use the stock gearbox and ppf with no exhuast or intercooler pipe work.

I like the idea of that torque straight out the box there is a e36 bmw with 700tq that torque has 2 motors bolted together tho I'm sure must be bad range. Which makes me think that maybe the tech isn't quite addanced enough or affordable?

Interested to hear people's views

Rides
    The battery's if used as the power supply will limit the range and power as they die off without some means of recharging
    So make a better engineered version of this ham fisted monstrosity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfNfwNWWphI

Rides

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    Pretty much yes mate,the Ham fist thrust thing was a Diesel generator iirc but that petrol one will run quieter imo

I think May predicted their diesel genny had a 9 hour run time and so does that petrol one in the link above

No idea what you would use as the actual electric motor,A milk float motor will be potentially old tech and fcuking heavy

maybe look into the motor from a scrapped prius and get two of them linked (somehow?)

you need skyshack or someone else's input/ideas as my knowledge is very limited tbh mate
    possibly there are forums about doing such things

Rides
    What i don't get is ev west says there e36 m3 is over 700 tq but according to the info it uses 2 netgain warp 11s bolted together which are rated at 168 torque each and 32hp which again they claim they have over 300hp which seems very confusing? I'm guessing it must be measured differently ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    What i don't get is ev west says there e36 m3 is over 700 tq but according to the info it uses 2 netgain warp 11s bolted together which are rated at 168 torque each and 32hp which again they claim they have over 300hp which seems very confusing? I'm guessing it must be measured differently ?
    No idea mate were they are getting them power figures from, I know an electric motors power curve is a straight line pretty much
    and as you mentioned make a heap of torque from near zero revs and continues as revs increase,
    maybe they are running it through a gearbox that multiplies the at the wheels figure?

Rides
    What are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to gain a performance benefit? Or just do it for fun?

If you want to make your car faster, really don't bother. No electric system can beat the power density of an internal combustion engine, or the energy density of the fuel tank. Even Porsche 918s, LaFerraris, etc only use electric drive to augment massively powerful petrol engines. Whilst people have made fast electric cars, the range is appalling. This is a good example: mental quick, lasts 10 minutes.

If you just want to do something for fun, it would be easy enough to throw in a load of car batteries, a rheostat and some fork-lift motors or something. And that would be fine for doing 30mph for about 20 miles, with just the odd fire.

If you want some speed and range you need more modern technology. You need modern (and very sensitive) batteries, efficient DC motors, and a variable speed control system. To have any range you would need to integrate a combustion engine and energy recovery. Not the job for an amateur, and nor would it be cheap. If you did that really well you might get get your SX to perform as well as a Prius.

But why would you want to?

Rides
    Years that's what i thought the answer would be.

It was just trying to be out of the box and i know a rx8 would be free so a good base to start from. But according to a few builds I've seen i doubt i'd get very far even with 20k in parts alone.

Justsomething different

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    No idea mate were they are getting them power figures from, I know an electric motors power curve is a straight line pretty much
    and as you mentioned make a heap of torque from near zero revs and continues as revs increase,
    maybe they are running it through a gearbox that multiplies the at the wheels figure?
    You're a little confused here. Electric motor characteristics depend on the type of motor, but a typical permanent magnet DC motors has a linear torque characteristic, max from stationary, zero at maximum (no load) speed. As power is torque x rpm, max power is at half maximum rpm.

This illustrates the ideal case:

torquepowerspeed.jpg

Also gearing will change torque at the wheels but cannot by definition change the power output (apart from introducing inefficiencies).

The trusty power and torque figures we are used to dealing with in internal combustion engines don't translate well to the world of electrics. Because of the above characteristic, maximum torque can be very high but still translate to what seems to us to be a low power output. Comparing electric and IC powertrain output figures is largely pointless.

I'd be interested to see how the figures are worked out for that M3.

Rides
    That's a very good explanation of something I have not looked into much at all being a petrolhead and all that
    We do indeed learn something every day

And I'm curious about this electric M 'tree' as well

Rides
    Well this is the dyno run

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EiQN7T1EpRQ

This is the motor setup:

http://www.fluxauto.com/wp-content/u...TwinMotors.jpg

They are converting a fair few posh cars

Rides
    I had a quick look at their website, didn't realise such well-develloped kits were available. I also hadn't realised AC motors were being used in car applications (though they are common in marine electric propulsion, which is more my field).

I can see the benefit of such conversions if you want to avoid emissions taxes and just need to pootle about slowly in a city for a few miles a day - and you want to hold the moral high ground at dinner parties. For me, it seems like a lot of money to make your car slower, less exciting and much less practical!

Rides
    Yeah it seems more and more people are converting and starting projects which rely fully on batteries. Most seem to be getting over 100 mile range with a 600 quid battery packs