Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coolant Leak and Smoke

Rides
    By using the key.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    By using the key.
    Ahh cool might invest in one then, always going to be usefull isn't it. Not sure how it would screw in though as surely thread sizes are all different ?

Rides
    You should get different adapters with it. There's not many different thread sizes. I think there's about 3 different ones.

Rides
    You should get different adapters with it. There's not many different thread sizes. I think there's about 3 different ones.
    Ahh nice one thanks

Rides
    SO just drove back from the garage and its ****ed. Smoking still, misfiring slightly after like 3k and loss of power.

Garage have been nob heads tbh. They fixed the coolant leak and on the phone i asked if they did a compression test like i asked them to... 'yeah mate done the compression test and all is good'. Oh nice one so what were the results? ...'erm we haven't got the results actually' ... well its supposed to be 120psi across all cylinders.... 'yeah ours doesn't work like that'. Anyway way he said it had a slight misfire so i got them to get some new spark plugs in. Popped down and said im not paying for the compression test without results. So they've done 'another' one and turns out its low on compression... nice one so they didn't even ****ing do one in the first place. This is after they got the wrong spark plugs in

Long story short compression is low on 4th cylinder and the reckon its the piston ring. Will be speaking to a guy who's built nissans in the past soon and more than likely gonna have the engine rebuilt.

Rides
    I'd still do a compression test on your own. I wouldn't let that garage rebuild the engine either.

At least the coolant leak is fixed but make sure you keep checking the water level just in case.

Rides
    I'd still do a compression test on your own. I wouldn't let that garage rebuild the engine either.

At least the coolant leak is fixed but make sure you keep checking the water level just in case.
    I won't be using this garage for anything at all except for in slanderous sentences. Coolant leak is fixed but atm i cant use the car its too sketchy.

Rides
    You can check to see if its rings by putting a teaspoon of oil down the bore and see if compression improves!

Regarding the smoke take the inlet pipe off the turbo and see if there is oil in there and check for play while your at it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    You can check to see if its rings by putting a teaspoon of oil down the bore and see if compression improves!
    I think thats what he did

Rides
    I dont see how rings would suddenly go though i would have thought they would progressively get worse.

Rides
    Best place to find Ca18 rebuilt parts in the UK?

Rides
    Get a full top end gasket set from Nissan. Its expensive but worth it. Check the water pump and replace with a quality one that doesn't have plastic impellors. Check oil pump. Replace cam belt with a gates kit unless you know it's been done. Get it off eBay. Everything else you need to open it up and see what's what first.

Rides
    Get a full NISSAN gasket kit from Latvia of E-bay for less than a UK Nissan dealer top end kit.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    Get a full NISSAN gasket kit from Latvia of E-bay for less than a UK Nissan dealer top end kit.
    Have you successfully done that peter ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Have you successfully done that peter ?
    Yes. I got 2 full sets. All looks pucker. Box has Nissan logo. The inlet gaskets are thick and have Nissan written all over them. The inlet gasket is 4 port. The turbo gaskets are properly layered.

one from genuinenissanparts200sx

other from nissan_parts_international

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    I dont see how rings would suddenly go though i would have thought they would progressively get worse.
    My old one started smoking suddenly when I cracked a ring land, but thats fairly worst case so dont panic op

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    Yes. I got 2 full sets. All looks pucker. Box has Nissan logo. The inlet gaskets are thick and have Nissan written all over them. The inlet gasket is 4 port. The turbo gaskets are properly layered.

one from genuinenissanparts200sx

other from nissan_parts_international
    Cool. I'll check them out. Been quoted 370 for a set

Rides
    Here's a picture of what they jotted down from the results

Rides
    Why would the results change between the first and second comp test? Does that normally happen? I can't see that being the case.

Rides
    Could just be that the tester is worn or he cranked it for longer the second time or forgot to reset it on Cyl 2 the first time.

170 on cyl 2 sounds like he put too much oil in there. lol.

Those results could mean worn rings and a broken ring on cyl 4.

It may also need new inlet valves as even with the oil, they're not exactly "right up there".