Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S14a as a Track Car?

Rides

S14a as a Track Car?

Hello guys, I joined this forum back in 2012 when I was seriously considering buying a S14a as a second car, but for many reasons I opted not to. Now I'm in a position again where I can fund a second car, I ideally want it as a weekend an a track day car.

I know this car is big in the drift world, but I don't intend to use it for this purpose. I just want a car which is a decent handing nice stable car around the corners. Whoever I speak to says the 200 won't make a good track day car as it is just too tail happy.

Now if I get some decent wheels, coilovers, anti roll bars will it make a decent track day car? An I would like to get it up to stage 2.

Whatever the replies i don't think anyone can put me of this car, I have always loved this car ever since in was a kid

Rides
    Probably not the best car to buy if you want a trackcar in all honesty. But I love them too so go for it.

Rides
    You need to do a lot of work to a 200 to make it go round a track well. There are many cars that will handle track work better with very little modification/money. If it's a scratch you have to itch though go for it. I have and I love my 200. Plus you won't find a more helpful owners club.

Rides
    It really depends what you mean by decent. You need brakes and a cage to start.

Rides
    If I was going to make a full on track car, I probably wouldnt buy a 200.
    Id be looking at like 106, Saxo, ClioSport's etc. Cheap to buy, cheap to mod/fix, light and handle well. For the money you have saved from not buying a nicer car to track you could even turbo or put a different engine in (If you're handy with cars)

Rides
    But on any circuit other than Cadwell you'd run out of puff. Well set up 200s are cracking.

Rides
    I dont get this "you need to do x and x before you can go near a track"

what a load of crap.

An s14 on good coilovers with a decent alignment is a very good start, and you can go from there. For the same level of mods its maybe not as good as say an m3, but who cares? On track, its not the ride, its the rider. And I guarantee it will feel FUN.

The number of off-the-shelf parts available is truly astounding and you can get your car to handle exactly as you want it to. Put enough work into one and it will grip with the best.
    Last edited by munkul; 18-09-2014 at 21:13.

Rides
    Thanks for the replies. I don't want a full on track car as such, rather a well setup car which I can drive a couple of days a week and will handle well enough around a track. I think I have decided that I definitely want a s14 and will buy one soon enough, just started this post to find out exactly what the handling is like.

I have looked at other cars, has to be rear or 4 wheel drive and it has to have that wow factor, something you look at and it puts a smile on your face, nothing in my eyes comes close to a s14. what can I say its what the heart wants

Rides
    i was gonna say before i realised blaktooth contributed to this thread, his car is absolutely amazing on track, never been in a 200 that handles quite like that

Rides
    Mine has only been used on track keeping with 400hp scoobs etc so they do pretty will with the right setup.

Rides
    Munkul. You need brakes.

Rides
    Add brakes, suspension, stiffening stuff and seat,then add power.
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Rides
    What makes a good track car?

Not race car, track car?

Outright pace doesn't come into it imo, but a 200 chassis is very flexible so they are damn good fun in any state of tune. Brakes and cooling are the weakest points but after that it's up to you how far you want to go with it.

Mine just has coilovers, brakes, around 300hp and a welded diff and is an absolute riot on track. When it works.

Rides
    Way back when I race'd lotus Cortina's and ford Anglia, a cheep mod at the time to help the back from steeping out if all else fails was a bag of sad" great fun work well.:

Rides
    depends what you mean by track car - plenty of people track relatively standard cars, but they won't be as fast as a properly prepared one. The down side to extensive track modding is they can quickly become 'unpleasant' on road especially the roads where I do for a blast which are bumpy and uneven.

Decent pads and decent brake fluid will see plenty of fun. The cars are not tail happy - they understeer first - they get tail happy when you are not careful with the loud pedal.

But as others have said, plenty of other cheaper alternatives that are possibly more suited, french hatchbacks, MX5's.

The 200 can be super fast, but as a rule you get caught on the bends by lesser stuff.

I loved every minute of my 10 year ownership, but it got the the stageg where unless it was on track or I was hooning, it was actually not a hugely nice place to be.

Rides
    I am currently putting together an S14a track car.

So I'll let you know if it's any good

Rides
    200sx's are light, powerful and rear wheel drive - all a good basis for a track car. With time, effort and money you can optimise them very well. Go for it.

Rides
    mine was a good fast road car first, that went on track. 3a power and its lack of out right grip was great fun loved that feeling of the car moving about on the limits but not drifting as such if you get what i mean. I caught lots of people on the brakes with K sports and zx rears.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRORY View Post
    mine was a good fast road car first, that went on track. 3a power and its lack of out right grip was great fun loved that feeling of the car moving about on the limits but not drifting as such if you get what i mean. I caught lots of people on the brakes with K sports and zx rears.

What pads did you run? with ABS or without? and did you get any fade?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
    What pads did you run? with ABS or without? and did you get any fade?
    abs intact, ferodo pads first of all ds2500's (i think) great pad but expensive. I then ran yellow stuffs less feel than the ferodos but a fair whack cheaper. I did not have them fade. (I must point out my talent levels are average at best, stig i'm am not) I've put them on my e46 too as i liked them so much